Switching Maps?? Nitrous vrs Non Nitrous?

Bubba Zanetti

Registered
So I've read Nitrous 101 and think I have grasped the concepts but have a couple of questions.

1. Say you want to run NOS on a road bike. Flick the switch and the NOS is off but when it's on what do you do to adjust the fueling?? I've read on one post that you can richen things up via the buttons on a PC, but do you really want to be doing that everytime?

2. The input/trigger for the system comes from where? The PCIII sends a signal to the pump that says the TPS is 90% or WOT so squirt some NOS? Or that RPM is 7K plus so shoot NOS. Can it be done movie style like with a push button.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Some have a switch on the throttlebodies,,I prefer running it thru the horn,,that way I have full control over when the NOS comes in,,,and if you dont want the NOS comeing on @WOT in 1st or secound or @wot @a lower RPM range,,your IMO screwed,,You should only spray at WOT on a 1000cc bike [schnitz racing specs] from 8000rpm@WOT and a busa Im 7000 @ WOT only,,,and as for the extra fuel,,you have to punch the numbers in the 100% throttle postion from 7000 % on up in your power commander,,,,, 40 shot gets 15% more,,,,[ thats an average shot safe for a stock busa,,You can put a 50 hp on a stock busa,,but IMO,,,not to push my Blessings,,If you tune it right,,a 40 shot makes your bike run strong,,,you can go to shcnitz to get their scale map,,or if you buy a kit,,,it comes with it

Some have a switch on the throttlebodies,,I prefer running it thru the horn,,that way I have full control over when the NOS comes in,,,and if you dont want the NOS comeing on @WOT in 1st or secound or @wot @a lower RPM range,,your IMO screwed,,You should only spray at WOT on a 1000cc bike [schnitz racing specs] from 8000rpm@WOT and a busa Im 7000 @ WOT only,,,and as for the extra fuel,,you have to punch the numbers in the 100% throttle postion from 7000 % on up in your power commander,,,,, 40 shot gets 15% more,,,,[ thats an average shot safe for a stock busa,,You can put a 50 hp on a stock busa,,but IMO,,,not to push my Blessings,,If you tune it right,,a 40 shot makes your bike run strong,,,you can go to shcnitz to get their scale map,,or if you buy a kit,,,it comes with it

Great info there thanks :bowdown:

So do you have the bike running rich all the time i.e. have you Nitrous on all the time (Above 7K + WOT)?

Do you swicth back to your standard map when the Nitrous is not enabled?

Getting the nitrous into the motor is the easy part. Getting the fuel in is effort. One reason why wet systems are still popular is that the problem with fuel enrichment is solved. The injector sprays both in proportion and your all set.

Any dry system over 15 HP needs a fuel enrichment method. At 15 HP, you can set your A/F at 12.5 to 13:1 and you will be ok when the spray comes on. Over 15 HP you can add fuel by several methods. By far the easiest is using ECU editor. I'm not clear what year bike you have, but ECU editor can be used for adding fuel during nitrous activation for both GenI and GenII bikes. Alternatively there are piggyback controllers and full enrichment systems that work and were popular prior to ECU editor becoming popular, but they are more expensive and not as useful so I will not elaborate.

Regarding activation, the standard is to have an arming switch mounted somewere on the dash in series with a switch you activate off throttle or a button. I would not use the horn button. The horn button is universally reserved for the air shifter, and if you ever started racing 1/4 mile, you would want the horn for shifting. The starter button on the right handlebar is more universally accepted for nitrous button activation. Most dry kits will come with wiring instructions to do this. I prefer a throttle switch. Less things to think about. One more thing. If you do wire activation off a button, you still need a throttle switch in series. You never want a situation allowing the throttle to be partially closed, and the nitrous activated. Again, most of the good kits have great wiring diagrams.

Lots more to be said on this topic. You may look into a window switch to lock out low rpm or high rpm nitrous activation, but ECU editor can do this. You may be interested in a progressive controller for anything over a 30 shot, but ECU editor can do this. Welcome to the madness known as nitrous...

Great info guys, truly a wealth of knowledge here.

So I guess a flashed ECU will know when and when not to richen up the fuel.

I downlanded a ECU Editor and was amazed at the stuff you can do with it. Do you have to shell out for a wiring harness to hook it up to your bike?

It's a 2006 Gen 1 BTW :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I downlanded a ECU Editor and was amazed at the stuff you can do with it. Do you have to shell out for a wiring harness to hook it up to your bike?

You can build your own flash box if you have the skills, but the system smithabusa sells is about the price you would pay to buy the parts. Plus he offers very good video instructions.

You can build your own flash box if you have the skills, but the system smithabusa sells is about the price you would pay to buy the parts. Plus he offers very good video instructions.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes
go with this from sart. i bought a rotor and a ECU for my 01 and will switch to flashing too. Today i got my harness fom Greg. Thats much easyer install than i did.
:poke::beerchug:

Yep you can build your own and surely welcome to do so, and probably save some money. What I am able to provide is something that has been tested to work (test each one prior to shipping) with what I think is a very nice wiring harness, and set of tutorial videos, and tech support if you run into issues etc. As well as a very easy to install nitrous harness.

ECU Nitrous Harness

Greg

Last edited:
Yep you can build your own and surely welcome to do so, and probably save some money. What I am able to provide is something that has been tested to work (test each one prior to shipping) with what I think is a very nice wiring harness, and set of tutorial videos, and tech support if you run into issues etc. As well as a very easy to install nitrous harness.

ECU Nitrous Harness

Greg

Cheers Greg.

Not around these parts long but it plain to see that you've put a lot of work into your products and the tutorial vids are great.

If my boss asks why I got f all done this week I'll blame you. :laugh:

Back