Swingarm vertical play?

klp

Registered
I took apart my swingarm and greased and inspected everything per the manual. It is all torqued to spec. I now have a bit of up and down play in the swinger - probably 1mm or so if you measured at the axle. I don't know if it was like that before as I did not check - just took it apart.

The bike is a new to me 99 with 17k on it. I never really rode it as the brakes were pretty rough. As near as I can tell it is coming from the dog bones on either end - they are a little too wide and let the suspension move just a bit.

Everything looked fine when it was apart, the book says to check for excessive vertical play using the spacer inside the bearings. I couldn't detect any. I am a little OCD when it comes to working on bikes and I want to be sure it is ok.

Dunno if anyone cares or noticed on their bike but it seems fine. I took it apart today and put different dog bones on with no change - they were lowering links that came on the bike. They were actually looser than the stock ones on now.

I plan to talk to some techs tomorrow to see what they think but I bet it is ok. Figure once the bike is on the ground and the suspension loaded it will be a non issue.

I have the same problem. It's annoying because I know its there but I don't think it's critical. It's most likey wear in the bearings in the suspension linkage/pivot/knuckle. I stripped mine, changed the dog bones, bolts and spacers and there was still some play in it. Only thing left was the bearings. But they're a pain in the arse to get out so I left it. If it gets any worse I'll tackle it again. Alternatively, you could look for a replacement linkage on ebay from a low mileage donor, something like this, and swap it out.
99 07 Suzuki GSXR 1300 Suspension Link Linkage | eBay

Thanks for the reply Celtic - I guess it's more of an annoyance than anything. I am afraid if I get any replacement parts other than new then they will be the same as mine. My bike has 17k on it, how many miles on yours?

Are you talking with no load on it, straight up and down?

Back