need some help please

gregsbusa

Registered
I have a gen 2 and I think I have some play in the swingarm, when I lift the rear off the ground with a rod through the swingarm pivot sitting on jackstands, I can grab the rear wheel and pull it to the clutch side of the bike and see the entire swingarm move about .25 of an inch. I took it in to the dealer and they tore it apart to check everything, they told me they could not find anything wrong and that the play was normal, I am having a handling issue and I believe this is where the problem lies, could someone check on there bike and see if this is normal or not, Thanks!

Sounds like a bad swingarm pivot bearing or possibly the steel sleeve insert inside the bearing. Definitely not normal!!!

I have a gen 2 and I think I have some play in the swingarm, when I lift the rear off the ground with a rod through the swingarm pivot sitting on jackstands, I can grab the rear wheel and pull it to the clutch side of the bike and see the entire swingarm move about .25 of an inch. I took it in to the dealer and they tore it apart to check everything, they told me they could not find anything wrong and that the play was normal, I am having a handling issue and I believe this is where the problem lies, could someone check on there bike and see if this is normal or not, Thanks!

easy tell the dealer to do it to one on the floor if it does the same it is what it is

that's pretty scary. did you buy the bike used? I've seen on one occasion where someone forgot to reinstall the dust caps for the bearing sets. that equated to about .125" of play in either direction. It's simple enough to grab a flash light and take a look in there. I would also check the tightness of the swing arm pivot. It threads into the frame on the clutch side and then the nut assembly goes on top. I couldn't imagine the pivot squeezing the frame that much, but maybe check the tautness of that while you're examining.

Back