Surging

Gregbusa

Registered
Hey guys, I have a 05 Busa only 1100 miles on it. It seems to surg at a low speed while in 1st or 2nd gear. Example going thru a school zone or shopping center parking lot. Is this normal or what is causing this? Thanks guys

Its normal....hate to say it but a TRE will help that or a Powercommander can smooth it out also.

fine tune your throttle hand. Don't ham-fist the thing....

Unless the surge you're talkin about about is accompanied by a lag.

Never had a surgin problem.

Its normal....hate to say it but a TRE will help that or a Powercommander can smooth it out also.
+1...
My '04 did the same thing until after I installed the PCIIIr~ Smoothed right out after that~
smile.gif

Same here.....it's the nature of the beast. It should smooth out at just above 2,000RPM +/- though.

+ whatever number I am PC solved it, of course you might as well get exhaust and map for it when you do, it will totally change your bike (For the Better)
cool.gif

actually... It is probably surging because your idle may be too high... If the idle is too high, it will surge between 1st and 2nd for sure while shifting to 2nd, but not as much in the upper gears...

Otherwise, you could be running rich, but I don't see mods listed, so probably the idle issue..

This is not right...

A TRE elimnates thee retarding in 1st-4th and thus probably would surge more with a TRE then without, since timing IS retarded stock....

PC will help you map the bike for your mods, but I would find the source of your issue before you go for the PC...

Cloud

Mine was a bit lean in the fuel mixture and was surging around 20- 25 mph in first gear - making it richer with a PCIIIR took care of the problem.

Kent

guys... guys... How are you going to tell this poor guy he needs a PC with a factory bike and no mods... ?

Come on guys... Quite offering advice to people if you are not sure about your answers... You are trying to talk this guy into spending money and he may not need to do so...

In the years I have been to this site, I cannot recall anyone credible recommending a PC for a factory bike out of the factory... It only has 1100 miles on it and no mods stated...

I will quite here.... just trying to help a fellow brother out and definetly not trying to start #### with you guys...
CLoud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143153197 -->

Subjective descriptors can be very misleading. It makes me think of what a mechanic has to go through when the only information he's provided with is vague at best.

When I read Gregbusa's complaint it sounded a lot like the "hesitation" I'm experiencing at low speed in 1st or 2nd gear, which is most prominant during maneuvers such as u-turns. The crux of the matter is the bike's unresponsiveness to subtle throttle inputs, which forces me to use more throttle, at which point it comes on with too much power (hence the surge). My understanding is that a TRE resovles this problem and so I'm ordering one for this riding season.

Cloud 9: I agree with you that advice should be carefully made, but if you'll look at the original post again, you'll see that mods were in fact listed (in grey underneath the main text). I guess we all need to be a little more careful in (1) describing the problem (2) reading what was written and (3) giving the right advice.

Happy trails.

Subjective descriptors can be very misleading. It makes me think of what a mechanic has to go through when the only information he's provided with is vague at best.

When I read Gregbusa's complaint it sounded a lot like the "hesitation" I'm experiencing at low speed in 1st or 2nd gear, which is most prominant during maneuvers such as u-turns. The crux of the matter is the bike's unresponsiveness to subtle throttle inputs, which forces me to use more throttle, at which point it comes on with too much power (hence the surge). My understanding is that a TRE resovles this problem and so I'm ordering one for this riding season.

Cloud 9: I agree with you that advice should be carefully made, but if you'll look at the original post again, you'll see that mods were in fact listed (in grey underneath the main text). I guess we all need to be a little more careful in (1) describing the problem (2) reading what was written and (3) giving the right advice.

Happy trails.

WOW- nuttin like flaming a very KNOWLEDGIBLE, long time Busa guy on your first post.   Ballsy.

16t on the front and a liitle smoother throttle control would fix what is described???

I don't see any MODs that would have much effect on his problem...

What is a TRE?.............Go easy on 'em D    
jump9.gif

<!--EDIT|hbr
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143242154 -->

Engine makers are bound by law to meet emissions standards. BMW goes beyond those laws and their engines for several years were so lean they surged badly and the ridership was understandably upset. BMW managed the problem of overlean mixture by adding a second spark plug to ensure decent flame propagation and prevent pinging and surging. That is not a cure for the actual problem, it's a way to make an engine perform managably in a too-lean state of tune.

If your Busa surges at light throttle positions, the likely culprit is factory set too-lean mixture, done to satisfy emission requirements. Auto makers also do this to boost fuel mileage numbers. The real cure is adjusting the mixture to what is mechanically proper, but legally unappealling for manufacturers, and when you do that, you must balance intake flow, exhaust flow, and fuel-air mixture ratios. You can tune this in several ways and achieve the balance and mixture that will eliminate surging.

A perfectly tuned engine will run cooler than a leaned out engine, have a few more horsepower, have less speed in the detonation of fuel which is less concussive on piston faces, and be significantly smoother in slight throttle settings where surge appears most noticably.

Higher octane can help manage surge by slowing down detonation speed. If you have just a hint of surge, that can help manage it a tiny bit better.

The true fix addresses the true cause.

If my Busa needs this work done, I'll post that when I can afford all that investment.

<!--EDIT|Redneck
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143244894 -->

"WOW- nuttin like flaming a very KNOWLEDGIBLE, long time Busa guy on your first post.   Ballsy."
If my post came off as a flame, I sincerely apologise to all I may have offended, especially the well schooled elders amongst us. It certainly wasn't my intention to flame, but the fact it was perceived as one serves to illustrate my point that misunderstandings, whether of a technical or communicative nature, are easily made.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Redneck's assessment of the situation also addressed by installing a TRE?

Back