Surges

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I'm almost certain this had to come up at one point or another, but I don't remember seeing it since I have been a member.

My RPM surges from 1100 to about 1500 when I'm at a full stop. While riding its steady, only while stopped does it surge. Is that normal?

Bike:
2005, no internal mods, 1700 miles.

No it is not normal for it to surge when idling. You may need to have the throttle bodies syncronized.
Or one vacum line may be disconnected.

Nope... not normal mate! Dunno what the problem might be, but I suggest you get it checked

So do your bikes hold a steady idle? Does the needle not even bounce a bit? I'm asking this because I don't want the dealer to tell me it's normal.

Most of the time it bounces. Just recently it began to surge, but its a here and there thing. If mine bounces and yours is holding steady, at least they can't say its a normal thing to actually surge.

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123511568 -->

Mine started doing that *after* I adjusted the idle from ~900 RPM to around 1200 RPM.

I'll just sit at a stoplight and after about 15 - 30 secs, it slowly rises to around 1500 - 1600. As soon as I pull in the clutch tho, it drops back down.

I was thinkin' about dropping the idle 100 RPM to see what happens...

A tre will effect the way i idles- i made my own switchable.
tre on at a stop, clutch out in neutral...it uses the 5th gear map---pull in the clutch and the clutch sw. will set it to the stock neutral map . with the tre off it idles at 1100 kinda sounds bing bing bing easy going sound..turn the tre on and drops a 100 rpm and sounds deeper growl but still steady..
once i put the muzzy on it idled better. This data is with the pipe on it.

Back