STOCK (or slip-on) BUSA OWNERS - Does your bike surge at 15mph in 2nd?

OB_valklex

Registered
My '00 surges at low rpm's, especially noticeable on school zones at 15mph in 2nd. It runs fine otherwise. Bike is synchronized, platinum plugs, TPS adjusted, and everything stock except zyclone RS3 slip-ons. It had the same surging with stock pipes. Other thing I noticed on the manual is that middle pistons have 11º and outer 3º advance on the timing at idle. How in the world are they going to idle smooth? Mine is still not smooth, but better than new (I have 300 miles).
Your comments are appreciated!
JC

#1 - Should have broken your bike in before the slip-on install.

#2 - need to adjust the fuel map with the new exhausts cans.

check for vacuum leaks first.did you have tosync. t bodies?if so there could have been a pre existing vacuum leak then you sync.them to a leaking system,which means if you find a leak and fix it you must redo.also tou could have a pinched return line from your fuel pump making it fat especialy at low volume demand situations.or a couple of valves tight.good luck.you also maybe at too low of an rpm.to te point where it actualy almost wants to stall giving the sensation of surging?but this is not relivent to the poor idle

KA: Mine is a '00. No recalls yet.
JeffW: This things are so restrictive, they are the only ones dubbed replacement cans. No "for off-road only" marks or anything. Surging is not bad, and bike is ultra smooth everywhere else, above 2K rpms.
MH: Synch was just slightly off, but well within specs. I just synched TBs the best they can be, and definitely no vacuum leaks. I was curious about other '00 bikes. I know it's the flapper valve deal, because as soon as it opens, it's fine. Also, bike might be even leaner due to EPA, so I might ask somebody that offer to lend a yosh box and put +5% on the low on all pistons.

Superman, I have no choice man. There is a huge school right by my house, and since a girl was ran over and killed, there is a permanent cop with a radar gun, so I have to go 15 mph. That's why I noticed it. No big deal if everybody else have it too. Plugs look pretty good so I'm not worried about running lean. I think is the stupid airbox as motorhead said. I'm going to ask a member that offered me the yosh box to see if he really meant it, and try the '+5 LOW' to see if it clears the problem - I can always go back to stock and think about the PCII, but the bike runs very good other than that-.
Thanks for all the input. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. I'm going for a second ride right now -damn break-in is killing me-.
JC

My '00 idles rough too. I just set the TPS correctly today which improved the sound a little. It's still not where my cars and trucks are though. As for surging I can't tell. The thing surges every time I even caress the throttle. I believe that's a function of the monster HP. Perhaps I'll take the flapper out and see what that does.

jesus you still got that crappy setup on there at least throw the flapper in the trash the stock airbox is terrible when its not modified there is about 3mph in the 1st 1/8 mile modifyingthat properly dont go by dyno figures that are standing still not a good refference.

I'm using a PC2 with D&D slip-ons on my 2000 and idle/light throttle is good. The map I'm using provides a +6 at 1000 rpm at 0% throttle (idle) and at 1500rpm uses a +10 at 0% throttle - +6 at 2% throttle - +4 at 5% throttle. This is the PC2 - don't confuse these settings with Yosh type settings but suffice it to say that the map is richer than stock at these points and other higher rpm/higher throttle points.

15MPH in 2nd gear!? Seeing how the bike can do 80+mph in 1st gear, why not downshift to 1st, blow threw the damn school zone, then whack to the next school zone!? I think most bikes would surge at such a slow speed in 2nd gear.. My 1100 probably does..

...my 2 cents...

hehe get school decals put on your busa:

"School BUS" ,maybe then you can drive through at normal speeds...

Valklex, can you take a differant route.
Fifteen miles an hour in second gear should be illegal on a Busa. The flapper in the airbox is for the low trottle positions and removing it I cant understand how it can help any low speed behavior.

Bulldog blasting through a school zone?
I guess you don't have any children.

KA: You are right, and I don't intend to remove it. I meant the flapper valve to be responsible for that surging, and I can live with it as long as everybody else have the same problem. I basically wanted to know if it is my problem or everybody's problem.
I'm not selling my busa because of that; I just wished suzuki had put a stupid O2 sensor and forget about maps, and the engine would run perfect with any modification. How much expensive could it be? Honda VFR800 turned to O2 in Y2K because it was cheaper.

Back