Surging, Jerking, Solutions...

MeltDownZ

Registered
After extensive research, trial and error, I have virtually eliminated all of the low-end surge from my bike.  It took about 2 months, and many, many hours.  Most of my info comes from professional tuners and mechanics.  I thought I would share what I’ve derived.   The diagrams below give a visual for my info.  Keep in mind that I use my busa for a lot of commuter driving so my goal was to get a smooth ride not horsepower or track times.  Many folks ask about smoothing the busa out and there’s a lot of disjointed info so I’m going to summarize it all.  I fully expect JohnnyCheese to say most of what I’m presenting is BS but his viewpoint is welcome.  He’s got a lot of good info.  

The main causes of surging are:
- the busa’s nature to roll on/off sharply at low rpms
- poor fuel mapping
- idle being too low
- excess throttle play

Sharp roll on – even with a well mapped bike, the busa likes to roll on/off hard.  Huge performance engine, relatively light bike, it's in the design. This gives the uncertain feeling of not knowing exactly how the power’s going to kick in during low rpm throttle roll-ons.  The TRE can help here by adding a short roll-on before the main power kicks in.  It also smoothes out the roll-offs. This little amount of gradual roll on and roll of give you a much better feel for the engine at low rpms.  So, I recommend the TRE as part of an optimal smooth setup.  Explaining why it works opens a giant can of worms so I’m not going to touch that.

Poor fuel mapping – a poor fuel map will give you minor surging or sputtering through the low rpms.  A good fuel map all but eliminates this but doesn’t address the sharp power kick in.  Just the same, I recommend the PCIIIusb with a good map as part of an optimal smooth setup. The PCIII is better than the PCII because it controls the fuel jets directly and can map at 250rpm intervals. The PCII has only indirect control by means of fooling with the bikes computer readings of the engine conditions.

Idle too low – The primary surge effect comes from the engine quickly jumping from low rpm to the target rpm.  By ensuring the idle is not too low, you’ll reduce the amount the engine jumps.  Adding to this is that starting a roll on in low rpms is kicking in the engine where it has the least amount of torque.  This also contributes to a kicking from the engine.  With a higher idle, the engine has already built up a little torque and provides a smoother roll on. I like running my idle just a little bit higher than stock at 1,300 rpm.

Excess throttle play – When there’s too much play in the throttle cables, you’ll have a tendency to hit the surge wall too hard.  Too much slack allows your roll-on motion to begin followed by a 'bumping into' the throttle pull. Your slight rolling momentum into the tension pull is what causes an increase in the kick. With very close attention to your throttle control you can avoid this.  However, ensuring that  throttle cables are properly snug, will eliminate this effect altogether.  With the busa, you’ll always need good throttle control.  However, proper throttle cable adjustment will ensure that the power comes on gradually from the moment you start to roll on without an unnerving delay.

A note on chain adjusting… Do NOT try to eliminate roll on/off surge by tightening your chain.  A chain that is too tight will damage various, expensive, transmission parts.  A well lubed chain however will make everything feel slightly smoother.

And last, correcting one of the above solutions without the others may produce a greater surging affect making the discovery of the issue even more ellusive. Although the TRE seems to work regardless of the setup if smoothing out things is your goal.

I’ve drawn up the following diagrams to show how these things affect the power curve.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091714030 -->

no problem with overheating when stuck in traffic at 1300 rpm?
I have Engine Ice and the Muzzy fan upgrade.  So far, even in this hot Florida weather, I'm rarely over the midpoint.  The fan does kick it now and then, but, it still stays around the midpoint. I commute everyday, 5 miles of it is bumper to bumper stop and go, and no issues yet.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091719967 -->

nice
smile.gif

i had a custom map done to go with my bde , pciiir, tre. very smooth ... took the tre off the bike and rode it one night and it was terrible surging, jerking. etc.

put the tre back on and smooth as silk. i will stick with the tre. and i also lost gas mileage with the tre off the bike.. that sucked...
sad.gif

Just curious.........What year is your bike? I might have missed?

I have a 2004 ,and no surging. The bike was a crude when new........ie shifting,up,or down.

The bike idles fine,and is a dream to ride in any traffic. I might have to add some ICE,it does get warm in stop/go.

The high idle is a solution,but you will be burning more fuel,no to mention the extra wear on the clutch. Especially in stop/go.

I have read many of the threads,and it seems only some experience surging?

Good job on fixing yours..........What ever it takes.

Just curious.........What year is your bike? I might have missed?

I have a 2004 ,and no surging. The bike was a crude when new........ie shifting,up,or down.

The bike idles fine,and is a dream to ride in any traffic. I might have to add some ICE,it does get warm in stop/go.

The high idle is a solution,but you will be burning more fuel,no to mention the extra wear on the clutch. Especially in stop/go.

I have read many of the threads,and it seems only some experience surging?

Good job on fixing yours..........What ever it takes.
I have an '01. And I live in Fla where it's almost sea level and humid. I also have Muzzy slip ons. All these things factor into the fuel mix and are helped with a proper map. Fuel burn - there's no noticable difference. Most of the time the engines running much faster than idle speed anyway. I could be wrong, but I doubt that there's much difference to the clutch wear as one down shift puts significantly more wear on the clutch than normal accelerating activities. And, it's only a slight moment that your shifting is at exactly your idle rpm.

I don't know what you do for a living MeltdownZ? I'am millwright with mechanical background in bikes,cars,and marine. In stop,and go traffic you are on,and off the clutch continuosly. The faster something is turning,and you want to engage something? The more slippage there is. Bumper to bumper? Clutch out,in,out,in,out. If you don't think there is more slippage? Try turning the idle to 2000.

Generally an engine surges because it isn't getting enough fuel. That doesn't mean a higher idle,it means more gas with the same air . Tuning carbs can be very frustrating.

Use your plugs,and pipes as your guide. The easiest is to check the pipes. After they have cooled
smile.gif
Run your finger inside the tail pipes. What is on your finger? Black is too rich,and white coloring is too lean. If the exhaust looks grey,and the plugs are a nice tan. Then it is pretty close to right on.

I don't know what you do for a living MeltdownZ? I'am millwright with mechanical background in bikes,cars,and marine. In stop,and go traffic you are on,and off the clutch continuosly. The faster something is turning,and you want to engage something? The more slippage there is. Bumper to bumper? Clutch out,in,out,in,out. If you don't think there is more slippage? Try turning the idle to 2000.

Generally an engine surges because it isn't getting enough fuel. That doesn't mean a higher idle,it means more gas with the same air . Tuning carbs can be very frustrating.

Use your plugs,and pipes as your guide. The easiest is to check the pipes. After they have cooled
smile.gif
Run your finger inside the tail pipes. What is on your finger? Black is too rich,and white coloring is too lean. If the exhaust looks grey,and the plugs are a nice tan. Then it is pretty close to right on.
First off, we're only talking about raising the idle from 1150 to 1300.  When you look at the different things that wear on your clutch, like releasing from a downshift, it's not a big deal.  In fact, I could make the opposite argument from you and say that because the clutch is spinning slightly faster, the wear is less on downshifting which offsets wear from starting.

Second, you say the engine surges because it's not getting enough fuel.  I'd challenge you on that because my bike was tested rich and it surged.  Also, you really can't make that statement without knowing the fuel mix of a specific bike.  I doubt that it would be a good idea for everyone whose bike surges to just go out a richen in it up.  The fuel map should be correct across the board and that takes a proper map.  If you have ridden a well mapped busa, with and without a TRE, you'll find that it still surges without a TRE.  It's smoother once the power kicks in, but, the power can still kick in hard.  Plus, busa's are fuel injected not carbed.

I'd also challenge your method of checking for rich/lean.  There is a wide range of throttle/rpm settings and the mix needs to be correct across the board.  If I really wanted things right, I think I'd stick to having the bike mapped properly which includes a fuel to air reading across all rpms.

<!--EDIT|MeltDownZ
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091936959 -->

Hey MeltdownZ,easy.........I'am only trying to give some advise.
I have played with a lot of engines. No one mechanic can fix them all. Not instantly.

Yes,I know the Hayabusa is fuel injected. I have one.

I have found to look for the easy fix first. Okay,if you have it tested rich,but still surging?

It could be something easy like a plugged fuel filter. Plugged injector. Maybe a fuel pump that is have a problem.

The bikes also have several sensors. One might be acting up?

Just trying to help...........

I have played with a lot of engines. No one mechanic can fix them all. Not instantly.

I have found to look for the easy fix first. Okay,if you have it tested rich,but still surging?

It could be something easy like a plugged fuel filter. Plugged injector. Maybe a fuel pump that is have a problem.

It's all good. I appreciate the dialog.

Who the Hell are you MeltdownZ?
I love to play with engines. Have that thing inside me that always wants to tinker with it
smile.gif

I started as a kid making my dirt bikes go. Then friends cars at the age of 13. Built rally racers. ie Datsun 240 Z with Chev 350. Then stock Camaros with Big Blocks. Took then up to the need for special fuels. ie Alcohol,and Nitromethane.

Built a few Dragsters,but the cost was getting beyond me.

Built custom Harleys for a few years......... Until Harley Davidson Company showed up at the shop with their Lawyers.....Seems we were using the wrong sign?
rock.gif

Then on to racing bikes. All bikes. The Hayabusa is very fast,but if a guy ever pulls up along side you with an 500,or 600 Enduro? Don't think you will take him in. Not at the start.

I only joined this site after I did some searching about the Hayabusa. I have a full race FJ 1200. It is bored to 1271,and totally lightened.About 400lbs.If you have some guy pull up beside you with no noticable gauges:). Don't bet
smile.gif

Hope you get your ride Primo..........Try to talk with some mechanics from the track. They might be able to get your bike purring. No cost. They like to play with engines:)

Quesnel British Columbia Canada. Clint.

smile.gif

Back