Stupid question

It is a #3 Phillips.
My bad... Don't know what I was thinkin'... Good save Ken.
beerchug.gif

Got my impact screw driver from sears many moons ago. Man can't beat it for things like this. Just make sure to use the right bit. And if you have stripped it out might try getting some lapping/grinding compound to put on the #3 bit it will help alot hold if not too badly stripped.

I had a similar problem 2 yrs ago when I went to change the trans. fluid.
On the bottom of the engine is a set screw type plug to drain it.It uses an allen type wrench to loosen it,I used to use the socket type.Well this time it wouldn't budge so I got out my trusty hand impact driver,and that didn't work.
Being an impatient pain in teh a$$ that I am,I charged town to Sears and bought a bigger one.You know,the one you take tires of of a car with? LOL

Well all this did was strip the hex part of the plug.
So now the only thing I could do is drill it outta the case!
Well what I didn't know was that after I drilled it out,there was one of those magnets on the end of the plug,it was stuck inside the shifter pauls.
I went to tak it for a ride,no 2nd gear! WTF.
Had to take the whole tranny out just to get that magnet out.
Now that was a real joy!

Your problem is really minute my friend!

All this for an oil change......

MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

Sorry,didn't mean to hijack your thread,point being,it could be waaayyyy worse.

**** News Update ****

Well, the head is unrecognizable now. Do I take it to the local dealer to have them rip-me-off getting the screw out or try something myself.

I love this forum and all you guys. I wish I had posted the question about what size the screw is before attempting to remove it. Live and learn.

How should I proceed. I don't have a lot of tools laying around at my disposal!

The really stupid thing is, I had a 1968 Corvette when I was 18 and my brother and I rebuilt the 327 it had after I bought the car. Now I can't even remove a fuc**** screw from a Busa!!!

Thanks to all for your support.

I had a similar problem 2 yrs ago when I went to change the trans. fluid.
On the bottom of the engine is a set screw type plug to drain it.It uses an allen type wrench to loosen it,I used to use the socket type.Well this time it wouldn't budge so I got out my trusty hand impact driver,and that didn't work.
Being an impatient pain in teh a$$ that I am,I charged town to Sears and bought a bigger one.You know,the one you take tires of of a car with? LOL

Well all this did was strip the hex part of the plug.
So now the only thing I could do is drill it outta the case!
Well what I didn't know was that after I drilled it out,there was one of those magnets on the end of the plug,it was stuck inside the shifter pauls.
I went to tak it for a ride,no 2nd gear! WTF.
Had to take the whole tranny out just to get that magnet out.
Now that was a real joy!

Your problem is really minute my friend!

All this for an oil change......

MVC-001F.jpg

MVC-002F.jpg

MVC-004F.jpg

Sorry,didn't mean to hijack your thread,point being,it could be waaayyyy worse.
Thanks for putting into perspective. I know my problem is small compared to others, but it's still a pain none the less.

i would take a vice grip and a towel, wrap the towel around the bar end and hit it with the vice grip. voila. always worked for me.

Ok,here is how I guarantee you can get it out without f/n up anything.
This is a pain in the a$$ for someone who dont have easy access,but bring the bike to a local tig welder.
The head of the screw is approx 1/2" diameter.You have him weld on a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw or hex head that's approx. 1/2"-3/4 long to the top of the screw you are trying to get out.
Have your allen wrench or socket ratchet ready,and with the heat alone that is transferred down your stripped out screw,will make it easy to come off not to mention that now you will have something to grab the screw with.

I do this all the time,I work in a machine shop/fabrication house.
It will only take the welding dude 5 seconds to weld it on too.

PM me if you are not sure what i mean

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136482531 -->

i would take a vice grip and a towel, wrap the towel around the bar end and hit it with the vice grip. voila. always worked for me.
BINGO....4get the effin screw... I never use it. Go for the barend. I can usually get them off with just hand strength.

but some sort of tool might help ya...vice grip,clap with rubber jaws,strap wrench...

or just take it over to Thrasher foxs house and let him chew it off......hahahahaha

The right side on my '03 was corroded in place when the bike was brand new. Got it out, but almost stripped the threads out of the bar doing it. I put never-sieze on them now whenever I have them off. Haven't had any problems with any other fasteners on the bike, just that one.

I went to the local dealer with the bike today to see if they could get the screw out. They charged me $20, but loosened the throttle side and clutch side screws so I could remove them when I got home.

The finished Throttlemeister install is here if you care to take a look.

Thanks to all for your advice and support. This is a very helpful group!

#3 phillips bit and an impact driver. The kind that you strike with a hammer. That will break them free without rounding them out if you haven't already gone too far with rounding them out already.
What he said. Twist the impact wrench all the way counter clockwise first, then whack the crap out of it with the hammer.

Well, probably would have been better off buying the right tool for $25 than spending $40 and gettin pi$$ed off
wink.gif

At least you won't need the screws anymore, but use a little BLUE Loctite on the Throttlemeisters AFTER you get the clearance right.

Hate to lose one of those at those prices
wow.gif

Back