Stupid question

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
Help! I was going to install Throttlemeister today, and the screw to the bar-ends, weights, whatever you want to call them, is now deformed... like my attitude
wow.gif

rock.gif

I know I've read that they are hard to get off but this is ridiculous. Is there a particular size screwdriver that this requires. I tried using a #2 Phillips without much luck. Any ideas?

You can try dipping the screw driver end in some comet(the cleaner) and the comet will help give you more surface area to try and unscrew it.  If its really bad you might have to drill....

Just be really careful that you don't strip the screw head any worse...

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136424642 -->

Try using a strap wrench (not sure what the real name is) and a screw driver at the same time or an impact type screw driver. Either one works great!

I should add that the throttle side is the only side that's messed up. I didn't try the clutch side yet.

Thanks so far for the recommendations.

Dude,nothing for nothing but that is retarted!
Your bike is a brand new 2005,the screws should come right out.
Just for $hits,did ya try just turning the bar end with your hand first maybe to break it free??
Just a thought.
My 2006 ends came right off!!
WTF

Dude,nothing for nothing but that is retarted!
Your bike is a brand new 2005,the screws should come right out.
Just for $hits,did ya try just turning the bar end with your hand first maybe to break it free??
Just a thought.
My 2006 ends came right off!!
WTF
I was hoping they would come right off too! I didn't try turning the bar end... maybe tomorrow. Thanks.

#3 phillips bit and an impact driver. The kind that you strike with a hammer. That will break them free without rounding them out if you haven't already gone too far with rounding them out already.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136441028 -->

Please dont take it personal,but I just the other day turned my bar end,on the throttle side and it started to come loose.(by hand)
So then I say WTF.I'll take it off and see just how heavy it is and only then after it was loose did I realize that there was a long phillips head screw holding it on.......
How the hell is yours soo hard to come off???

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136426260 -->

Please dont take it personal,but I just the other day turned my bar end,on the throttle side and it started to come loose.
So then I say WTF.I'll take it off and see just how heavy it is and only then after it was loose did I realize that there was a long phillips head screw holding it on.......
How the hell is yours soo hard to come off???
Yours seems to be the exception rather than the rule based on what I've read on this forum over the past few years. Lots of folks have posted up about having problems getting them to break loose. Not sure why some would be easy and some would be tough, but apparently that is the case.

#2 phillips bit and an impact driver. The kind that you strike with a hammer. That will break them free without rounding them out if you haven't already gone too far with rounding them out already.
Thanks BT. I will not let this defeat me. I will go get an impact driver and try it tomorrow.
It's best to use a dead blow hammer if you have one. The dead blow hammer will avoid bouncing the bit out of the screw head on impact. A regular hammer works though. Just "follow through" with the strikes and try not to let the hammer just bounce off of the tool end.
wink.gif

Now see,this is the little ido-sacracies (I suk at spelling) that pi$$ me off...
Having to actually go out and purchase an impact driver just to take a little 6mm screw out!!!

bonk,bonk

Now see,this is the little ido-sacracies (I suk at spelling) that pi$$ me off...
Having to actually go out and purchase an impact driver just to take a little 6mm screw out!!!

bonk,bonk
Real men love tools!
biggrin.gif

Just kiddin'... well, sort of.
wink.gif
I see your point though. I thought I had a decent set of tools until I started wrenchin' on my own bikes.
drooling3.gif

LOL,what I mean is this should be a 'no brainer'...
Phillips head and yer done...but nope... the usual B/S
Usually it's me going thru this crap...I caught a break this time!!

<!--EDIT|brendanp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136427257 -->

Is this a confirmed #2 Phillips. Could it be a #3 or other size? I'm not a Phillips head guru so I don't know which sizes are which.

Everyone should go out and buy an impact screwdriver now.  It will sit around but when you need it you really need it and it will save some cursing and buggered up screw heads. They are so cheap that it is worth getting one!

<!--EDIT|Big Wall
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136431977 -->

When you get em out, chuck them and use decent S/S allen head machine screws with Loctite. At the very least they look better!

Yes, I have a Craftsman impact driver that I have had for twenty years, comes in handy thats for sure.

Back