stupid question about chatterbox

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
so if I order one.. is that a set? or is that "one".. like does "bob" have to already have one.. or can I give "bob" the other one from my order and start jabberin' back and forth?

?

i know they sell them as 1 in a package and 2 in a package.. so u better ask to make sure what they consider. and what helmet do u have? the new rf1000 for sure wont fit the speakers comfortably.. in order to get the to fit nicely u would have to cut away some of the shock absorbing material.. no thank u.. i think ive heard some of the arais have the same problem.. its mainly from the shape of the helmet. the rf1000's are more narrow than the rf900 and older rf helmets.. i had mine in my old rf800 with no problems.

I bought the AutoComm system (Kenwood makes it, most BMW dealers sell it). It works quite nicely, especially if you go with the Kenwood radio. The way I set mine up is to have the radio bike-powered, and it only turns on when the bike is on. I just run the helmet lead out of the helmet strap slot from the back. In-helmet speakers and mic work like a charm. Only disadvantage is that you can't change the channel on the fly with the radio stuck in the rear storage compartment, but then, when you are riding how often do you need to cruise the radio channels? And it's loud enough to use with earplugs as well. Also allows you to pipe in other audio sources (I run XM radio and radar detector.)

You will require a separate system for each rider no matter what system you get - they are all single-bike only. The Chatterbox, IIRC, attaches to your helmet. I can't begin to imagine this being a good design especially if you get in a crash. Not to mention it will screw up your helmet aerodynamics, and frankly looks like crap
smile.gif

I can't begin to imagine this being a good design especially if you get in a crash.  Not to mention it will screw up your helmet aerodynamics, and frankly looks like crap
Chronos is correct in that it will require one set for each bike; However, to each his own! I have the Chatterbox GMRS-X1 and love the fact I'm not "Teathered" to my bike. Having a chord run from you to your bike can in my op be a bit discomforting.... One thing is for sure, you won't be dissappointed if you and some friends get a communicator set-up amongst you! I listen to mp3's, radio, talk on the phone, Radar detector, etc... You can even have a private conversation with your passenger. But, this would envolve and extra set of headphones/mic, plus the dreaded teathered chord. Changing Channels is rarely needed as was pointed out! There have been a few times in congested areas of living where a channel swap was required and I think one other time when my group was riding through rural America! Kept picking up two combines working in a field talking about Green Acres kind of things..... Range is fantastic. Makes for passing cars in really tight/blind situations Great! Especially if everyone in your group has this set-up. You can talk back and fourth and let everyone know when its safe to pass. Most should come with VOX and PTT. If you get a helmet mounted setup try and remember to turn the thing off if Nature calls and your roadside.
smile.gif

Some set-ups to consider
Autocomm (by far one of the best)
J&M (Pricey, but still top notch)
Collet (Heard good things, not so pricey)
Chatterbox (mid level if you get the GMRS)
Audioboss (another mid level set up)
Nady (low end, but I guess it works)
Baehr (Can get real expensive)
Starcom (mid range)
There are more but, this is all I could think of off the top of my head! The most important aspect of any set-up is going to be the Headphones/Mic. I can't stress enough how placement and quality of this single component can make or break your system..

smile.gif
thanks for the input.. Im' mainly going to use mine for rider/passenger coms.. but hell I do more riding with a friend than I do with a passenger so I thought it would be much cooler to be able to do both and then hook into the system if i had a passenger like you mentioned..

I'll do some checkin' around on the other systems you mentioned.

I was actually looking more at the FRSX2 just because I dont' normally get more than a 1/4 mile anybody I'm riding with.. anywhere i'm going to be talking to them anyway.. maybe sometimes in the mountains or something and then i'm gonna be watchign the road and whizzin' along not paying attention to the coms anyway

oh, I hadn't thought about the space in the helmet.. thanks for mentioning that.

I've got a RF9 at the moment but it's really getting time to replace it.. gettin' kinda funky in there.. (why can't shoei have removable liners? ) anyway.. I've had speakers in some helmets.. just this one.. I may fiddle with that a little before I make up my mind.

thanks!

One thing to be aware of is that the GMRS radios "require" you to self-license with the FCC. So if you feel like supporting the bureaucracy, keep that in mind.

I can't begin to imagine this being a good design especially if you get in a crash. Not to mention it will screw up your helmet aerodynamics, and frankly looks like crap
Chronos is correct in that it will require one set for each bike; However, to each his own! I have the Chatterbox GMRS-X1 and love the fact I'm not "Teathered" to my bike. Having a chord run from you to your bike can in my op be a bit discomforting....
This past road trip, I had both the radio AND my heated clothing connecting me to the bike. I was actually kinda worried about what would happen if I had an unexpected getoff, but one time when the bike was stopped I forgot to disconnect and walked away from the bike. The cords just popped right off. So this may not be as much of an issue as it sounds. Though it is kinda annoying to have to disconnect each time you want to get off.

ks is right about the microphone as well. Depending on your preference you'll either set up a button for push to talk or voice-activation. The tricky thing with voice activation is that the helmet mic has to be placed just in front of your lips (touching actually works best) and the VOX threshold has to be cranked up to a level appropriate to the maximum ambient noise level you'll reach in your helmet. The higher the level, the louder you will have to talk to get the system to activate. I found it hard to set the level high enough to run much above 130mph and still be able to comfortably use the system without yelling. The problem was that when I would speed up to pass cars (and you know on a Busa you can't pass a car without doing more than 130 on the way
smile.gif
) the system would activate and I'd be transmitting wind noise. The other issue with VOX is that you have to say something (like 'OK') BEFORE the message you want to send to get the system to activate, otherwise your message will be clipped at the front. It takes some getting used to. I am thinking about setting up a push-to-talk button for the future so I don't have to worry about the VOX stuff. It may or may not be a problem for you depending on how quiet your helmet tends to be and how fast you like to go.

One thing to be aware of is that the GMRS radios "require" you to self-license with the FCC.  So if you feel like supporting the bureaucracy, keep that in mind.
what exaclty does that include? fee's? registration aggravation? ect?

Would that also be required of the step down version?

the FRS models?

Not required for the FMRS only GMRS... Fee is $75 for x number of years! I have heard some folks forget to do this and use it anyway!

I know very few people that have actually registered for the license. Not sure what the penalty would be and how they would go about catching you. Lots of radio traffic out there.

Back