STUNNINGLY Crazy Idea:

You got to remember that a prenump protects your current assets. If one of you hit the lottery you will have to split it with the other.
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

Reading about GAY MARRIAGE in CA made me think of something: Why couldn't me and the random single girl across the way sign the papers to be legally married and reap the TAX benefits, yet remain in our single world, separate living apartments, almost ZERO contact, separate lives? What difference would it make? Is there some law that says you must love each other, spend a certain amount of hours together, live in the same place?
Let me assure you , that there are 2 worlds of thought on this one.

Filing Jointly and Married DOES have benefits, BUT.....you also pay a marriage tax penalty.
Most believe it's an either / or type of thing. It's not.

This year is my first year married and filing as such.
I lost $700 to the Federal Govt because of me being married.
I own my own home exclusively, so it was always MY writeoff.
Being that I make too much I can't even write off my college expenses filing single.
Now filing Married and Jointly I got to write off $4,000 of my school expenses
I normally wouldn't and I still got $250 less then we would have filing separately
because our COMBINED income came under the $150K mark or $125K mark ....forget which it was.

So that equated to about a $700 loss, or "marriage tax penalty"
So let me assure you, the ONLY real way it benefits you to be married is to
get your spouse insurance coverage under yours. Because you ARE going to pay the
Govt a penalty for being married, and the really f'd up thing about is is, this
country WANTS you to be married and be productive members of society.
banghead.gif

THE BEST way to avoid the marriage tax penalty is to file "Single and Head of Household".
But the catch is you can't live together. But that is the best way to file to reap the
best tax benefits.

I was so irate about being "taxed for marriage" that I told her I wanted to get divorced
in the eyes of the state, and go get married OUTSIDE of the US, because then they won't
recognize it here in this country and I can avoid paying taxes as a married couple.

She won't go for it though.

but that just sounds like you are getting stuck because you are making decent combined income - not because you are married... if YOU ALONE made $125k, wouldn't you be paying 40% to the GOV or some rediculous number? did you do you own taxes or go to a tax accountant?

Back