Expiring Marriage License - yea or nea?

Should marriage licenses expire like all others?

• yes

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • no

Votes: 31 47.0%

• Total voters
Well, since marriage is intended more as a religious bond I don't think you can tie an expiration or renewal date to it. From a legal point of view the "contract" would never be written the way marriage bonds are today.

why not? it's only a piece of paper document and means nothing other than money for the state and a good legal angle if all else fails, lieterally. :whistle:

Well, since marriage is intended more as a religious bond I don't think you can tie an expiration or renewal date to it. From a legal point of view the "contract" would never be written the way marriage bonds are today.

Marriage isn't exclusively a religious thing. there have been many cultures where a "marriage" was performed without religious overtones. I love my wife and she was the only one i wanted by my side for the rest of my life. no religious overtones in it whatsoever. For me its knowing i have someone in my life who i will go to bat for no matter what and she will always have my back. 2 cents

Marriage isn't exclusively a religious thing. there have been many cultures where a "marriage" was performed without religious overtones. I love my wife and she was the only one i wanted by my side for the rest of my life. no religious overtones in it whatsoever. For me its knowing i have someone in my life who i will go to bat for no matter what and she will always have my back. 2 cents

Name a few, please.

marriage is not just a religious ceremony.....

the reason the state/government needs to be involved is because the two parties enter into a legal partnership....they form a corporation. as a corporation they buy things, incur debts and when things go bad the parties need to be protected in the divorce...

PS: common law marriage is only legal in about 11 states.....please check your local laws, but it takes more than just living with someone to be "common law" husband and wife..

Name a few, please.

....Sigh.... WELL i just got done typing a bunch and then lost it so im going to redo it real quick with the highlights. NOW. its important to remember that a culture will HAVE religion, but the marriage was not religious bound. Normally they were bound in community, contractual, and arranged. IE

Ugandans had a rather lengthy process of courtship..after a long ceremoniously drawn out courtship it was cemented:

WIKI--

also customary for a boy to take a fat male goat to be slaughtered at the girl’s father’s home. This goat was known as esidiso_On this occasion; the girl’s father would stand on it and be smeared with simsim oil. This male goat was meant o cement the marriage and it acted, in addition as a common bond between the two families.

Pygmy wedding traditions
Pygmy engagements were not long and usually formalized by an exchange of visits between the families concerned. The groom to be would bring a gift of game or maybe a few arrows to his new in-laws, take his bride home to live in his band and with his new parents. His only obligation is to find among his relatives a girl willing to marry a brother or male cousin of his wife. If he feels he can feed more than one wife, he may have additional wives

Traditional Chinese marriage is a ceremonial ritual within Chinese societies that involve a marriage established by pre-arrangement between families. Within Chinese culture, romantic love was allowed, and monogamy was the norm for most ordinary citizens. A band of musicians with gongs and flute-like instruments accompanies the bride parade to groom's home. Similar music is also played at the wedding banquet. Depending on the region that the bride hails from, Chinese weddings will have different traditions such as Tea Ceremony or the use of a wedding emcee. Also in modern times, Chinese couples will often go to photo studios to take "glamour shots" posing in multiple gowns and various backgrounds.

AND OF COURSE>.....Scientologists.....they are just wierd

in addition...Here is the source of the christianity man/woman marriage:

Sermons from St. Augustine's letters (written around 350 A.D.) were popular and influential. In 534 AD Roman Emperor Justinian criminalized all but monogamous man/woman sex within the confines of marriage. The Justinian Code was the basis of European law for 1,000 years.

Several exceptions have existed for various Biblical figures, incestuous relationships such as Abraham and Sarah [1], Nachor and Melcha [2], Lot and his Daughters [3], Amram and Jochabed [4], and more [5][6][7]

I think i got those right. There are a few more i can't recall and don't have the time to look up right now. Oh...North Korea if i recall correctly. They worship Kim ...crazy communists...
Imperial cultures could pretty much be included in that list for the most part i believe.....i really should have kept my notes..

NOW...one more thing. I do believe marriage should not be temporarily licensed. However.....SINCE people want to base marriage off of religion then we should base ALL of it off of religion. No remarrying if divorced, women are property and should listen to thier husband, all the other fun stuff.

Last edited:
....Sigh.... WELL i just got done typing a bunch and then lost it so im going to redo it real quick with the highlights. NOW. its important to remember that a culture will HAVE religion, but the marriage was not religious bound. Normally they were bound in community, contractual, and arranged. IE

Ugandans had a rather lengthy process of courtship..after a long ceremoniously drawn out courtship it was cemented:

WIKI--

also customary for a boy to take a fat male goat to be slaughtered at the girl’s father’s home. This goat was known as esidiso_On this occasion; the girl’s father would stand on it and be smeared with simsim oil. This male goat was meant o cement the marriage and it acted, in addition as a common bond between the two families.

Pygmy wedding traditions
Pygmy engagements were not long and usually formalized by an exchange of visits between the families concerned. The groom to be would bring a gift of game or maybe a few arrows to his new in-laws, take his bride home to live in his band and with his new parents. His only obligation is to find among his relatives a girl willing to marry a brother or male cousin of his wife. If he feels he can feed more than one wife, he may have additional wives

Traditional Chinese marriage is a ceremonial ritual within Chinese societies that involve a marriage established by pre-arrangement between families. Within Chinese culture, romantic love was allowed, and monogamy was the norm for most ordinary citizens. A band of musicians with gongs and flute-like instruments accompanies the bride parade to groom's home. Similar music is also played at the wedding banquet. Depending on the region that the bride hails from, Chinese weddings will have different traditions such as Tea Ceremony or the use of a wedding emcee. Also in modern times, Chinese couples will often go to photo studios to take "glamour shots" posing in multiple gowns and various backgrounds.

Sermons from St. Augustine's letters (written around 350 A.D.) were popular and influential. In 534 AD Roman Emperor Justinian criminalized all but monogamous man/woman sex within the confines of marriage. The Justinian Code was the basis of European law for 1,000 years.

Several exceptions have existed for various Biblical figures, incestuous relationships such as Abraham and Sarah [1], Nachor and Melcha [2], Lot and his Daughters [3], Amram and Jochabed [4], and more [5][6][7]

I think i got those right. There are a few more i can't recall and don't have the time to look up right now. Oh...North Korea if i recall correctly. They worship Kim ...crazy communists...
Imperial cultures could pretty much be included in that list for the most part i believe.....i really should have kept my notes..

NOW...one more thing. I do believe marriage should not be temporarily licensed. However.....SINCE people want to base marriage off of religion then we should base ALL of it off of religion. No remarrying if divorced, women are property and should listen to thier husband, all the other fun stuff.

you should know....most people don't want to follow all the teachings of thier religion...they just want to pick and choose from the ones they agree with.

WIKI--

Pygmy wedding traditions

I guess my point was even though there are contemporary examples. Marriage came about as a religious or faith based institution.

Okay, so answer these questions:

What happens to the kids at the time the license expires? Or, if you have kids, does the license automatically renew until the kids leave home or are 18?

What happens to the assets of the marriage when the license expires? 50/50 split? What was yours beforehand stays yours? Is there an automatic prenup? Marital assets divided in some way?

Just a couple of questions there. I think it's more trouble than it's worth, frankly. For years, I've been preaching the idea that marriage is a contract between the state and the couple. It has nothing to do with whether or not two people love each other. I'm married but if we had to do it over again, we wouldn't do the marriage thing.

--Wag--

Okay, so answer these questions:

What happens to the kids at the time the license expires? Or, if you have kids, does the license automatically renew until the kids leave home or are 18?

What happens to the assets of the marriage when the license expires? 50/50 split? What was yours beforehand stays yours? Is there an automatic prenup? Marital assets divided in some way?

Just a couple of questions there. I think it's more trouble than it's worth, frankly. For years, I've been preaching the idea that marriage is a contract between the state and the couple. It has nothing to do with whether or not two people love each other. I'm married but if we had to do it over again, we wouldn't do the marriage thing.

--Wag--

Nice Signature quote Wag.

Good point, projekt. Why is government invloved with love and marriage anyway? Because they can be? Knida makes me think.... since living together costs nothing, we could get married mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and biblically and SKIP the whole government side of it. Forget them. If they ask, we are just living together. Maybe there IS hope for me to fit in to this twisted world after all. In my own twisted way :)

Living together makes you common law so you are still considered married in some states.

You need a license to have a dog... ought to license kids too. Maybe take a test for ownership also :D

I don't want to form a CORPORATION, I just want to be around someone exclusively. I don't CARE what the states, gov, or world says about love.... it's all up to ME inside my head how I conduct my life - not bunch of idiot rule maker-breakers. The ONLY time the state or law has to be involved is when people can't agree - IE break ups and then a bunch of lawyers "HAVE TO" step in.

Laugh at me now, but I will stay single rather than sign any "PRE NUP"

Living together makes you common law so you are still considered married in some states.

no it does not.....

there are only 11 states that allow "common law" marriage.....

but in each of those states there certain requirements. these go beyond simply living at the same address.

Maybe an expiring marriage license like a driver's license would boost the economy a little but I say NO WAY!!!!

1.) Just because divorces are over 50%, marriage, to me, should still be treated as sacred. Haveing a renewable marriage license would make marriages like getting a driver's license and people will take marriage even LESS serious.

2.) What kind of havoc would that cause if you forgot to renew or put it off?
Legal issues, taxes, powers of attorney (especially for our military going overseas). If you don't renew your license you are no longer legally married. I think it would be a complete pain in the ass. Plus Florida just raised taxes on registering your vehicles. I took Rocky's 14 up to the DMV to get it registered and it was $476!!!!!! Because the Bill of Sale said $6000, anything over $5,000 is an additional 6%. Holy crap!!!!!

If you want a renewable license, get a divorce and get remarried!

Back