Strange Problem

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
For some reason, since I have had my airshifter installed on my bike, the bike seems to foul alot of plugs. Now, I did NOT get the MPS kill box or anything. I just hooked the shifter to the coils. But the plugs are fouling, and I haven't even ridden the darn thing any. Just cranked it while piddling with it. I just don't understand what could be causing this since I am not riding it.

I'm not sure how you have it wired at the coils. Are you using a trigger wire at the coils?

If you are using the same power lead(s) as the coil to power/trigger the air-shifter, you are interrupting the power supply to the coils. If you cause resistance before the primary winding, your ohms at the coil will be all wrong. Coils/ignitors can be finicky about resistance. If you are getting a weaker than normal spark due to the load, that may be your problem.

I have seen an aftermarket tachometer cause a similar problem. That's what I'm basing my guess upon, as the tachometer was wired to the coil trigger. Possibly a similar setup?

To be honest, I didn't hook it up, a friend of mine did, but he has run his bike like this for a few years, and has hooked up several other people's the same way and I haven't heard of any problems. I dunno, maybe it is just my bike that doesn't like it??

I'm suspecting that something has been disturbed, or the ECM is getting some bad info from the coil resistance.

It might be time to dive in and have a look around. Maybe it's just a loose connection.

Just a thought, is it possible you have low battery voltage? That will cause all kinds of ignition problems, that can lead you on a wild goose chase.

If you could, post some digital pix of the harness, or maybe provide a link to an installation guide.

That is one of the problems...I don't know how to hook one up, and I don't have a diagram. I know he tapped into the horn button, and into the coils ( I think the grey striped wire) and it was supposed to just kill the coils for a split second. Low Battery voltage could be part of the problem, as the bike does live in a colder climate (in my trailer) and I only start it about once evrey week or week and a half.

Try a load test on that battery, brother.

I will look at a 'Busa wiring diagram tomorrow (Thursday, 1/24).

Thanks man!!
thumb_up.gif

No, I really haven't had time to work on it. I am hoping to work on it tonight or tomorrow. I am gonna start off with fresh plugs and see where that leads me.

Back