Stolen Keys 2009- Replace lockset and ECU???

last i heard the new 08 an up gsxr and busa have an imobilizer chip in the key but i gree with everyone else you still shouldn;t have to replace ecu it should be a just like this dealer checks the vin and then get a key cut from suzuki specs then programmes it to your bike i do cars all the time no big deal

if anyone knows of a good techy that can advise precisely please do let me know
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, Paul,,, not to steal you away to another site, but only to help educate you,, this is a thread worth reading. There is mention of the immobilizer in it,, It is possible that something could be done to possible circumvent the immobilizer through a re-flash.

Greg Smith (Smithabusa) or PertiK would be ones that have more intimacy with the ECM than I so asking them would be educating if nothing less.

Here is the thread.
icon2.gif
Ecueditor 2.0 - trial version and interface harness

Well into page 5 now and they are fairly advanced in what they have set out to do.

I spoke to Suzuki Australia who informed me of the following:

1) The key has a magnetic device in it that matches up with the ECU. When a bike is manufactured, the ECU is 'uncharged'. When you insert the key for the first time and turn it, it sets the ECU. After this, the ECU will only work with that key.

2) If the keys are stolen, it is recommended to change the locks anyway. That's a no brainer. However, as the existing ECU is matched to the previous key, the ECU has to be changed as well.

3) If an ECU breaks down, when you install a new 'blank' ECU, using your old keys will set the immobiliser on the new ECU.

In a nutshell, losing both keys, or having them stolen, means replacing the lockset AND the ECU.

This is what i've been told by the experts at Suzuki Australia, who also deal with Suzuki race squad in Australia.

I asked them if the existing ECU can be reflashed, and they said it could probably be done in Japan, however, Japan do not want to have anything to do with reflashing ECU's that have been installed on bikes.

Seems i'm out of options here guys, but I haven't given up yet!!!

i would think the ecu could be taught the new key, or the matching crystal from the new key could be put into the ecu....I'm willing to bet there is a way to disable the key-ecu sharing....we have the ability to reflash ecu's our selves...see smith a busa

3) If an ECU breaks down, when you install a new 'blank' ECU, using your old keys will set the immobiliser on the new ECU.

I think the 'key' (sorry for the pun) is in your example number three.

I'm with DJ on this one. If you think of this in a reverse sense of thinking,,, IF you could obtain new keys,, the ECM could learn the new keys, right? So the trick is to obtain new keys and have the "brain" rethink they are your oh-so-lost keys.

Or,,, if you could just shut down the immobilizer, which is really what is locking this whole thing down (and the difference over GenI ECM's) you could be done with all of this.

ORrr,,,, not shutting it down, but unlocking it somehow so that it would be open to being reconfigured for the newly recognized keys. ???

Could the ECU be reflashed to it's original "blank" condition? And then learn the new keys?
Posted via Mobile Device

Could the ECU be reflashed to it's original "blank" condition? And then learn the new keys?
Posted via Mobile Device

send a PM to SmithaBusa asking this. It may take a little for him to repsond he is busy with flashing stuff currently.:beerchug:

The keys for the Gen II s are different, but I think you're being taken for a ride :whistle:

Guys I really appreciate your help. I have sent Smithabusa a PM, as I've read his posts and he obviously knows the ins and outs of an ECU. Hopefully it'll all work out, if not, well, I guess I'm up for the $2k to replace the ECU...sigh...

I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome cos I reckon we are all learning something here..

I may have a connection that could supply the whole lot needed to swap in what you need; i.e., GenII ECU, harness through to locks and then proper matching keys. I know the harness might not be needed on your end,, I just don't know if the lot could be broken up or not in what the seller wishes to be sold as a package. I can check if you want,,, to see if it could be available and then if whether or not the harness could be eliminated from the lot to save on weight and overall cost. All with the thought of saving you from having to buy the ECU at over the counter SUZUKI costs.

Hate to hear of anyone down especially at the mercy of the dealership.

That'd be great Cookie. I'm assuming that by matching keys you mean the ones with the immobilizer in them... New or second?

Back