Busa was stolen, now it won't start.

Janna

Registered
This is just a quick question from a newbie, so bear with me. :)

Our 2007 Hayabusa was stolen a few weeks ago. (For the second time.) It was recovered within a couple of hours thanks to Lo-Jack. During the first theft, someone had seared away the ignition with a blow torch or something; you could start the bike by touching your thumbnail to it.

This time, the bike won't start at all even though there is no visible damage. You can get the key into the ignition but it won't turn. I'm just curious why this is, if anyone else has had this happen, and if we're going to have to replace the whole ignition.

Thanks!

Janna in TX

Janna were are you located in Texas? If you are close enough to my house I would be more than willing to swing by and take a look at it. Chance are the sorry no good theif cut some wires. Oh yeah by the way I live in the Austin area.

:welcome:

Hey rubber2burn,

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I'm a few hours away in Dallas/Fort Worth. It seems to be a hotbed of motorcycle theft around here. Now I've got an alarm, a wheel lock, and Lo Jack. I'm still debating a chain and a padlock like my neighbor has on his bike. Almost scared to get the bike fixed in case someone else rides off on it. *sigh* Anyway, the nearest bike shop wants $400 to replace the ignition, plus I'd have to have it towed. So I was just trying to see if there might be a cheaper fix before I take it in.

Thanks. :)
Janna

There are a few Dallas peeps on the board that may be able to help you or atleast get you to a reputable shop. If that does not work I highly recommend you take your bike to Johnny Cheese Preformance 512-767-4273 and he will get you taken care of. It would be a little bit of a drive but well worth it.

I would call your dealership and tell them what happened;more than likely they can order you a new ignition lock and check the wiring harness for you.

:welcome: Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If you can't garage it I would put a locking bike cover on it. Cable lock it to a solid object.

Sounds like the ignition was either damaged or changed. Both routes lead down the same path. You need a new ignition switch.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the welcomes and the advice. I'm going to get in touch with the dealership and add the locking bike cover to my layers of security. What I really want to do is rig the bike to electrocute the next thief who comes by, but I don't think that's legal. ;) Then again, neither is bike theft. :whistle:

Have a great day,
Janna

Did you have insurance?

If the switch need to be replaced it not that hard.:welcome:

What a drag! I have nothing to offer about the ignition, but I wish you a speedy, easy, cheap resolution.

Oh, yeah, and...:welcome: to the .oRg.

Sorry to hear it. Like everyone else said check the wiring or replace the ignition.

Did you get their names and or any pictures if so post them on here. I am sure they will get theirs if you do:) Dont trust anyone. Guns are for people who support honesty so go out and buy the biggest one you can find and help keep America clean:):laugh:

To replace the ignition switch you will need the secuirty type torx's type bits. The ones that have holes in the middle of them. I think I have a picture of that somewhere...

wow getting a bike back one time is a miracle... twice? what are the odds....

Back