Stock vs. aftermarket cam

jumjum01

Registered
Just thought I would share my recent gen1 camshaft experience...

Green dyno - stock EX cam
Blue dyno - aftermatket EX cam (specs like intake cam 8,7mm lift@240)

Bigger duration kills low/mid end power, but makes more on top. Seems like Suzuki did a good job with stock cam profiling for a street bike setup.

20210810_080954.jpg

Just thought I would share my recent gen1 camshaft experience...

Green dyno - stock EX cam
Blue dyno - aftermatket EX cam (specs like intake cam 8,7mm lift@240)

Bigger duration kills low/mid end power, but makes more on top. Seems like Suzuki did a good job with stock cam profiling for a street bike setup.

View attachment 1639237
Thank you very much for posting this. I have always wondered what a 1397 would do with a stock head. I’m rebuilding my 1397 and would like get it to carry power up to 11k

What was your cam timing set at? You can play with it and move your powerband around a little.
All based on you PTV clearance of course.
102/106 as to cam manufacturer specs. But when going from stock 220 to 240 duration there will always be bigger valve overlap. New 2021 busa ex cam has huge lift and small duration. I am tempted to buy one since its only 230EUR/269USD.

You could have just used a stock inlet cam in the exhaust position and timed it in with APE sprockets. That's been shown to give a 5bhp increase.
Yes, but the aftermarket cam was cheaper then any second hand inlet cam and APE sprocket and has same specs.
And you will still loose HP from 0-6500rpm to gain from 7500rpm and up, due to valve overlap. I am not a drag racer, so I will take bottem end / mid power over top end power any day of the week..

Thank you very much for posting this. I have always wondered what a 1397 would do with a stock head. I’m rebuilding my 1397 and would like get it to carry power up to 11k
My gen1 had a 1397 kit with a brock intake cam, brock alien head. and it tuned in at 195hp and 120 pounds of torque. And we were tuning it in a little on the rich side.

My gen1 had a 1397 kit with a brock intake cam, brock alien head. and it tuned in at 195hp and 120 pounds of torque. And we were tuning it in a little on the rich side.
Do you have a dyno sheet, so we can see the complete performance, not just the top end number?

Back