Stock suspension settings for GenII

here is what I did:
* take bike to local shop who knows Busas for suspension set up (street only, no track, weekend twisties, solo rider)
* tech takes measurements, gets me on bike to bounce/jump up and down, repeat as needed for BOTH front and rear.
* pay shop $35
* leave shop and enjoy improved handling of bike

There is a correct answer for the OP's question. It's
in the owner's manual...those numbers are a base line.
Just curious. Is it top secret information? The guy just asked a simple question, Why not just answer the question and stop busting his ball about the manual ‍♂️. Maybe he got his bike used and doesn’t have a manual. JMO

Just curious. Is it top secret information? The guy just asked a simple question, Why not just answer the question and stop busting his ball about the manual ‍♂️. Maybe he got his bike used and doesn’t have a manual. JMO
Uh, this thread is from 2014......this was the last post by the OP...

....and this is your first post...obviously you've been lurking around seeing as you joined in Sept so should have a bit of knowledge how things work around here.

For future knowledge, we have all kinds of manuals if people need them so this sort of thing can be avoided

There are recommendations in the manual and it shows you how to adjust it.
There are no specific settings.
Suspension Sag is set by rider weight, which must fall within the spring rate weight range, or you need different rate springs.
After sag is set, then it's ride it and make fine adjustments on the road side to dial it in.
You can give someone ballpark numbers(like the manual does), but proper suspension set up is a process to be learned, and fine adjustments per conditions can be made as well.
That's all @BA BUSA was stating, he made alot of positive contributions here over many years.

Hahahaha all good points Tuco. And fn hilarious, thanks for the good belly laugh this morning. I needed that. :D

I agree @Tonyp1015 and tend to just post a screenshot or take a picture of the information if have it on hand.

Or a simple post like Six Pack said to educate. Set the sag/spring tension. Then worry about hydraulics later because if you go to set the sag and don’t have the proper spring for your application, hydraulics can’t fix that.

That said I also wish more people would just buy the Service Manual and read it. But this is information that’s in the owners manual. I certainly don’t keep my owners manual close by.

Service Manual lives on my coffee table though.

i agree... but guy is a new member. AND he is posting....... lol, u guys are gangbanging him. anything that keeps people clickin that mouse is a good thing. Even @RedBull s bullshit fishing expeditions. Its RARE that u see commitment like redbull shows towards fishing. he takes it SERIOUSLY. its good.

....I just answered his question

Then worry about hydraulics later because if you go to set the sag and don’t have the proper spring for your application, hydraulics can’t fix that.

The shock is way over-sprung for my weight but I do not have the resources to replace it. It was still excellent to dive in and set the fork and spring to known values.

I am about 170 lb. I wanted the suspension soft and comfortable so I set it to the defaults. Going down a big hill and ending up at a stop light, the bike went into an oscillation for a few seconds. I turned the fork settings in one click, repeated the same ride and repeated the behavior several times but could not generate the problem again.

There is a single setup anecdote...

The shock is way over-sprung for my weight but I do not have the resources to replace it. It was still excellent to dive in and set the fork and spring to known values.

I am about 170 lb. I wanted the suspension soft and comfortable so I set it to the defaults. Going down a big hill and ending up at a stop light, the bike went into an oscillation for a few seconds. I turned the fork settings in one click, repeated the same ride and repeated the behavior several times but could not generate the problem again.

I changed out my rear shock and front springs/valves to make it better for me as I'm over 200lbs (probably around 230 with gear).

If it's your front end oscillating it's your rebound being too slow. You can check this by going on the highway and hitting the brakes hard. If that front end starts to vibrate your rebound setting isn't fast enough for the ammount of load on the front wheel. Open up the rebound adjuster a click or two until the feeling is diminished or goes away.

Back