suspension set up

you would need new springs for the front and rear. It would be good to have the shock reworked as well.

I agree, new springs and valves for the front is what i did (racetech). Stock just didnt have enough adjustment to handle my weight (218)

I got a quote for $500 for new fork springs installed and another $300 to put a new spring on the rear shock (installed). I weigh 300 lbs, so I have the same problem. I currently have the preload on both ends cranked up pretty high and the rebound also to handle the springing. Bike handles pretty well, but is very harsh, almost like a race bike. This actually works for me because I like the bike pretty stiff anyway, but for general street riding it would be great to get a little more plush ride.

my front seems to bounce alot. just floatin through town 50-60kms/hr my headlight shutters alot bouncing around. I think my setup is too stiff? My bike is completly stock.

advise? soften it up?

goto a small shop that can setup your suspension. If they don't ask you to gear up and sit on the bike then ove on to the next shop. To setup the suspension you need to be on the bike with gear to get an accurate weight and balance while setting up the suspension.
my front seems to bounce alot. just floatin through town 50-60kms/hr my headlight shutters alot bouncing around. I think my setup is too stiff? My bike is completly stock.

advise? soften it up?

Put a ziptie around your fork leg and see how much fork travel you are using. If the ziptie never reaches the bottom, the suspension is workable as is. You are a big fella but many times your stock suspension works pretty well if you properly set the adjustments. If the suspension bottoms out on every ride, then you really should upgrade the suspension. I wouldn't get excited about the rear, it's designed to haul heavy loads. The forks are a different story.

If you do decide on upgrading your suspension I'd suggest you go to your local track and get advise from the suspension vendor. He can upgrade your suspension and more importantly help you tune the suspension to suit you. I can't stress how important it is to have a professional help you set up your upgraded suspension. I have seen this over and over again where people buy suspension parts or send their forks/shock off to an internet supplier then have no idea how to set it up. The end results is a bike that rides like a turd.

I leave a ziptie on my forks all the time (as Tuf suggests) so that I can look and see just how much suspension I'm using....

Ya I'm definitly not bottoming out. I'm at 205 lbs. back feels fine... its the front that I find too stiff. I will try to do some adjustments.. soften it up just a little bit to get the bouce out of it.

Put a ziptie around your fork leg and see how much fork travel you are using. If the ziptie never reaches the bottom, the suspension is workable as is. You are a big fella but many times your stock suspension works pretty well if you properly set the adjustments. If the suspension bottoms out on every ride, then you really should upgrade the suspension. I wouldn't get excited about the rear, it's designed to haul heavy loads. The forks are a different story.

If you do decide on upgrading your suspension I'd suggest you go to your local track and get advise from the suspension vendor. He can upgrade your suspension and more importantly help you tune the suspension to suit you. I can't stress how important it is to have a professional help you set up your upgraded suspension. I have seen this over and over again where people buy suspension parts or send their forks/shock off to an internet supplier then have no idea how to set it up. The end results is a bike that rides like a turd.

It isn't just bottoming out the suspension that is an issue. If the springs are too soft you won't be able to get the sag set correctly. Trying to use compression and rebound to compensate for this isn't a good thing. Tuff has it right though, seek professional help to get it correct. If possible, be there with the bike so the suspension guy can take measurements with you on the bike.

Back