Stock Busa spring rates?

The rear sag is 1.5", the laden sag is 1.8".

You have 38mm of free sag and 46mm of rider sag. For street use I look for around 33-36mm rear and 35-40mm front. If it were me, I'd crank in a few turns of preload on the shock to get the sag closer to 34-35mm and see what I had for free sag at that point. Ideally, you want between 5-10mm of free sag on the shock once the target rider sag is reached. If you are a perfectionist, 8mm is the number to shoot for.

If you really want 46mm of rider sag then your spring is to heavy. Too much free sag is an indicator that your spring is to stiff!

If you decide to stiffen up the rear to race pace and dialed in 25-28mm of rider sag then your free sag would probably be in the ball park using your current spring.

Try using mm to take your measurements. It's much easier to add/subtract mm than inches.

You have 38mm of free sag and 46mm of rider sag. For street use I look for around 33-36mm rear and 35-40mm front. If it were me, I'd crank in a few turns of preload on the shock to get the sag closer to 34-35mm and see what I had for free sag at that point. Ideally, you want between 5-10mm of free sag on the shock once the target rider sag is reached. If you are a perfectionist, 8mm is the number to shoot for.

If you really want 46mm of rider sag then your spring is to heavy. Too much free sag is an indicator that your spring is to stiff!

If you decide to stiffen up the rear to race pace and dialed in 25-28mm of rider sag then your free sag would probably be in the ball park using your current spring.

Try using mm to take your measurements. It's much easier to add/subtract mm than inches.

Thanks for the reply. So I should be looking for 35mm laden sag in the rear with 5-10mm free sag and 35-40mm laden sag in the front? As it is, even with the 48mm laden sag the spring feels to tight and does not absorb the smaller bumps as I would expect. I have the compression damping out 16 clicks.

If the spring is too stiff, as it appears it might be, would a Gen I shock with the lighter spring be enough to resolve this issue?

I have the front set at 38mm laden sag and it feels about right.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the reply. So I should be looking for 35mm laden sag in the rear with 5-10mm free sag and 35-40mm laden sag in the front? As it is, even with the 48mm laden sag the spring feels to tight and does not absorb the smaller bumps as I would expect. I have the compression damping out 16 clicks.

If the spring is too stiff, as it appears it might be, would a Gen I shock with the lighter spring be enough to resolve this issue?

I have the front set at 38mm laden sag and it feels about right.

I appreciate the help.

You can't change the spring tension with preload. The spring rate is what it is. If it's to stiff for you it will always be to stiff no matter how you adjust the preload. Preload has nothing to do with how the spring reacts when compressed.

I can't imagine the spring on your Gen II being to stiff for your 180 lb mass. What I suspect is your issue is derived from your hydraulic settings. To much compression or/and to much rebound can cause the bike to ride like it's on a brick. I'd suggest you set the sag as best you can to the numbers I gave you. Then, turn your compression and rebound on both the forks and shock to the middle of the adjustment range on each and start from there. Once an acceptable starting point has been established on all three (Rider Sag, compression & rebound) then you can work one adjustment at a time until you get things sorted out.

Speaking of the "NEED" to read. You need to read my most recent book "How to determine Bullsh*t when you smell it"! For the small price of $49.95 I'll send you an autographed copy with a money back guarantee that you'll learn much about how to censor out the BS before you click the "Post Quick Reply" button! :dunno:

Blimey Tuff... just trying to help the guy... you had a bad day Trolling? $3 in post to buy that cup of coffee ;)

Blimey Tuff... just trying to help the guy... you had a bad day Trolling? $3 in post to buy that cup of coffee ;)

I'll make a deal with you!

You quit tossing out your snide little sarcastic remarks towards me and I'll quit showing your ignorance! DEAL?

I got my rear spring problem sorted out. I installed a Gen I rear shock (13.1 kg spring as apposed to 14.5 on the Gen II) and set the sag to 10mm static and 35mm with rider and it performs as I would expect that it should. I reduced the compression damping a bit and it seems to be fine. Thanks Tufbusa for the correct target sag numbers.

Kept the stock spring on my Gen2 but went with RaceTech 1.1 springs up front. It was a huge improvement in balance between the front and rear suspension. Now I need a track day to sort it all out again. My surprise was that the ride actually became more supple and compliant when I was expecting the opposite, especially in the bumpy stuff.

Back