Stock Busa spring rates?

EarlyBird

Donating Member
Registered
I have been playing with getting my SAG, rebound, and compression setting on my 08 busa! I had gotten a few DVD's from onthethrotle.com about setting up the suspension and learning on what to adjust after a base line Sag Adjustment.... And I wanted to know what are the spring rates for the 08-up busa? I got the front SAG, but the rear I am "Topped out" (cant take any more preload away!) and can only get 3/4" SAG in the rear. The front I got 1 1/4", so I know thats right. I didnt realize that I was riding a bike that was way to stiff in the front and extremely tight in the rear. Now since I have gotten things closer for my weight, it does ride better.

"can only get 3/4" SAG in the rear. The front I got 1 1/4" "

Laden or unladen?

I'm guessing laden.

cheers
ken

Last edited:
Ohlins site has some good info too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

I got 1/14" in the front so I am good there... the rear spring sag I am at 1" at best topped out.... So the rear spring is off for my weight of 185lb with gear on the bike. So I may have to swap the rear spring to better match my weight. All in all the bike feels better. May not be 100% correct.... but much better. Still learning what I need and dont need!

Per Racetechs' website the stock fork springs are .930 kg/mm and the stock rear shock spring is 14.5 kg/mm.

The rear shock spring is black... no markings Reason why I asked for the spring rates for an idea what I am dealing with. I had a feeling that the rear for me was on the stiff side. I have the front a 1 1/4" and the rear at 1" sag. The front I have it 5 12 turns out from full stiff on the pre-load. The rebound is 7 clicks out from full stiff. Compression is 8 clicks out from full stiff. The rear spring is topped out as far as I can go with still enough thread to use the locking ring to secure it in place. I am currently 10 clicks out from full stiff on the rear shock rebound. 8 Clicks out from full stiff on compression. I had a chance to ride the bike some to feel the changes.

It rides smoother then before. It was harsh and skipped across bumps. Had issues with feel... the lack there of. The rear sag was none before the changes and the front was at 3/4" I notice the bike working better and is more of joy to ride. I am still playing with it, the adjustments, but the roads here are not like the dragon, so I am just getting the bike based lined and then start seeing and feeling what each rebound and compression setting do to the bike. Right now the front nylon tie strap shows 1/4" of unused space from the front fork from being bottomed out. I know when I start to push the bike more it may bottom out some. Add preload first to raise the fork back to a more useable range on the fork. The adjust rebound to follow. Still sorting things out, but the DVD's on suspension tuning are helping out. I have done a few other things to the busa that my also be affecting the bike too. One I got rid of 33lbs. by going to a r77 full system. I went up 3 teeth in the rear to shorten the wheel Base.... It does turn quicker! I also went to a 190/55r17 tire and went up 1" in the rear with dog bones. Which also made it turn better too. Just for grins and giggles. I added the G/F on back with me and wanted to see how much sag she added to the bike. She is 115lbs. The rear went down to 1/2" more. Which put the bike at 1 1/2" sag with both rider and passenger on it.....her and I.

Some useful video's

Setting Sag!
- Motorcycle Suspension - Setting Sag[/url]

Chain adjustment
- Suspension Tuning Tips- Chain Tension[/url]

Setting Sag and how different riders affect the settings!
- Setting Sag -GSX-R600 part 1[/url]

Bouncing suspension
- Suspension Bounce Demo[/url]
- Setting Sag - GSX-R600 part 2[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlybird, did you ever get your rear sag sorted out? I am working on the same issue right now and have found that I need a lighter rear spring, as I am topped out on the Gen II stock spring. I did a GSXR K8 tail conversion and took off 20 pounds in the rear, plus I only weight about 180 in gear. The Gen I has a lighter spring (733 lb) than the Gen II (812 lb). Will a Gen I spring fit on a Gen II shock and is it a direct swap? What did you do to get less preload on the rear?

Earlybird, did you ever get your rear sag sorted out? I am working on the same issue right now and have found that I need a lighter rear spring, as I am topped out on the Gen II stock spring. I did a GSXR K8 tail conversion and took off 20 pounds in the rear, plus I only weight about 180 in gear. The Gen I has a lighter spring (733 lb) than the Gen II (812 lb). Will a Gen I spring fit on a Gen II shock and is it a direct swap? What did you do to get less preload on the rear?

What do you mean by your rear spring being topped out?

What's your rear sag number with your preload collar turned all the way out?

Dude you need to read Tuffs book... its the bible when it comes to this sort of thing...

Dude you need to read Tuffs book... its the bible when it comes to this sort of thing...

Speaking of the "NEED" to read. You need to read my most recent book "How to determine Bullsh*t when you smell it"! For the small price of $49.95 I'll send you an autographed copy with a money back guarantee that you'll learn much about how to censor out the BS before you click the "Post Quick Reply" button! :dunno:

Back