Spring Rates?

Gardzilla

Registered
I've been shopping around for a shop that will upgrade my OEM forks and Shock.
So far I have two opinions on the forks:
1. Change front springs to 1kg/mm spring rate (My weight without gear varies between 200-210lbs - street riding only)
2. Leave the stock spring rate (0.93kg/mm) and change the valving to improve compression damping

What do you guys think?

What is the OEM shock spring rate? AND should I change that or do any work to the shock?

Start with the new springs to get your sag set correct and not try to incorrectly over compensate with compression dampening adjustments

for street riding? just where do you live and what kind of twisty riding do you do? Stock Gen2 will do most anything you ask of it right now.. the .85 of the Gen1 is a bit soggy..

I was looking at Race Tech's Spring Rate Calculator today. I checked the GSX-R 1000, 750 and 600 to see what was recommended for 210lbs/street riding.
1000 = 0.958kg/mm
750 = 0.920kg/mm
600 = 0.898kg/mm
The very obvious trend I see is that lighter bikes require "lighter" spring rates.

For the '08/'09 Hayabusa the recommended rate for 210lbs/street riding is 0.994kg/mm or basically a 1.00kg/mm set of fork springs.

My question is: What if I install an aftermarket exhaust that sheds 30lbs?
If 210lbs - 30lbs = 180lbs The Race Tech Calculator says that I need the next spring down from 1.00kg which is 0.950kg/mm. (Stock is 0.930kg/mm)

Is my logic sound? Or am I missing something from the bigger picture?

Get the 1.0's...the stock ones are close for your weight, but the valving needs to be done and why be a cheapskate for $150 more you can do it right...it does make a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rear shock upgrade is over kill for the street.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get the 1.0's...the stock ones are close for your weight, but the valving needs to be done and why be a cheapskate for $150 more you can do it right...it does make a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

What he says.

cheers
ken

i would recommend going with the upgrade on the front springs as it made a huge difference for me...as far as the rear shock, you might be ok with your current weight but i know at mine (290), i need to upgrade!

Back