Stealership nightmare

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
Hopefully this isn't too long.  I pushed my chain too far.  It gave a mighty stretch, but fortunealty, it didn't snap.  I start hearing the chain singing.  I get off the bike and find that it was sloppy loose.  The chain hadn't streached that much that fast ever, not even new out of the box.  I limped home, adjusted the chain.  This was Saturday.  I parked it Sunday then babied it to the dealer on Monday.  

That was July 17.  It usually takes them 3 days to get parts in, so I expected that I would be picking the bike up on Thursday July 20.  I called on the 21st, "Parts didn't come in, sometimes that happens."  I stopped by the stealership on Saturday July 22.  "Parts still didn't come in, sometimes that happens."  I call again on the 24th and 25th.  Both times, same response.

I stop in the stealership on July 26, and start pressing the issue hard.  Find out from one of the parts guys that the front sprocket is on backorder from the place they ordered it from and it would be there on July 31.  They could try ordering from somewhere else, but it wouldn't come in any sooner.  Nobody at the stealership had an answer for why I wasn't told about the sprocket being on backorder on July 18, or any of the times I called about the bike.

OK, I'm not happy, but leave expecting to get the Busa back on July 31.  Well, its August 1, and I still don't have my Busa.  Stopped back at the stealership during my lunch break today.  No sprocket.  No delivery date for the sprocket, its still on back order.

Now I know that I can get the parts shipped same day from StreetnTrack.  Props to him for being so helpful.  I'll definately be doing business with him in the future.  Anyway, back to the story.  

So I tell the manager there that I will be back tomorrow to pick it up.  If it is in the same condition as when I left it, I was not paying for any parts ordered, for checkout, or any other fees.  The manager tells me that she cannot authorize that.   I am not known for being patient to begin with, and she was pushing on my last nerve.  I told her I want to talk to Jack (the owner) now.

The manager disappeared into the back for a while than asked me to meet her at the service desk.  Amazingly, they can get the sprocket over night from another supplier and if I allow them to do the repair, I will have it back tomorrow.  I had quite a lengthy conversation with the manager after that about the poor customer experience if I don't manage the process myself.  That's where it is now, with the promise from the manager that it will never happen again.  

Now, this is the same stealership that has done all the service on the Busa from day 1.  Major services, oil changes, tires, etc.  This is the first problem in 16 months with them, but normally I order my parts then arrage for the serve after they are in.  I'm willing to chalk this one up to nobody's perfect.  But as a customer, I really shouldn't have to do the coordination for the parts and service departments.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154470056 -->

Hopefully this isn't too long.  I pushed my chain too far.  It gave a mighty stretch, but fortunealty, it didn't snap.  I start hearing the chain singing.  I get off the bike and find that it was sloppy loose.  The chain hadn't streached that much that fast ever, not even new out of the box.  I limped home, adjusted the chain.  This was Saturday.  I parked it Sunday then babied it to the dealer on Monday.  

That was July 17.  It usually takes them 3 days to get parts in, so I expected that I would be picking the bike up on Thursday July 20.  I called on the 21st, "Parts didn't come in, sometimes that happens."  I stopped by the stealership on Saturday July 22.  "Parts still didn't come in, sometimes that happens."  I call again on the 24th and 25th.  Both times, same response.

I stop in the stealership on July 26, and start pressing the issue hard.  Find out from one of the parts guys that the front sprocket is on backorder from the place they ordered it from and it would be there on July 31.  They could try ordering from somewhere else, but it wouldn't come in any sooner.  Nobody at the stealership had an answer for why I wasn't told about the sprocket being on backorder on July 18, or any of the times I called about the bike.

OK, I'm not happy, but leave expecting to get the Busa back on July 31.  Well, its August 1, and I still don't have my Busa.  Stopped back at the stealership during my lunch break today.  No sprocket.  No delivery date for the sprocket, its still on back order.

Now I know that I can get the parts shipped same day from StreetnTrack.  Props to him for being so helpful.  I'll definately be doing business with him in the future.  Anyway, back to the story.  

So I tell the manager there that I will be back tomorrow to pick it up.  If it is in the same condition as when I left it, I was not paying for any parts ordered, for checkout, or any other fees.  The manager tells me that she cannot authorize that.   I am not known for being patient to begin with, and she was pushing on my last nerve.  I told her I want to talk to Jack (the owner) now.

The manager disappeared into the back for a while than asked me to meet her at the service desk.  Amazingly, they can get the sprocket over night from another supplier and if I allow them to do the repair, I will have it back tomorrow.  I had quite a lengthy conversation with the manager after that about the poor customer experience if I don't manage the process myself.  That's where it is now, with the promise from the manager that it will never happen again.  

Now, this is the same stealership that has done all the service on the Busa from day 1.  Major services, oil changes, tires, etc.  This is the first problem in 16 months with them, but normally I order my parts then arrage for the serve after they are in.  I'm willing to chalk this one up to nobody's perfect.  But as a customer, I really shouldn't have to do the coordination for the parts and service departments.
sounds to me like they may've been waiting "Suzuki OEM Parts" (like a certified suzi dealer is supposed to) but were willing the break the rules when ya put the hammer down and suddenly?...viola..we can get one the next day.

just my theory.
laugh.gif

I would psuh harder for free something, parts, labor, next oil change? You are a very good customer who has been there before and will be back again. They should take care of you. There are other dealers you can go to and make them aware that you are willing to do so. Your money is green everywhere. They have nothing that is one of a kind! Get more pissed and get something for free for being without your bike for 2 weeks, lots of stories, etc.. Just my 2 cents!

Got the Busa back today
smile.gif

The message he left with the wife is that the new chain and sprockets are on, but it is making a strange noise and I should leave it with them to check it out. I called back and told them I would be taking the bike home today.

I guess the service manager got in trouble over this because he difinately wasn't happy to see me. Took my money (no discount) and brought the bike around without saying anything more than absolutely necessary.

Here's the statement from the receipt: "Unit still makes whirring noise while engine is under a load. Sound goes away when you let off the throttle or pull the clutch in. We cannot guarantee if this noise is a safety hazard or something minor. It has to be addressed as a saftey hazard so we advise you not ride the unit until the noise is diagnosed and/or repaired."

I must be deaf. I rode it 100 miles after picking it up and don't hear anything abnormal. Just the wind, exhaust, and noisy brake pads they put on it a few months ago. Anyone else have an audible "whirring noise" under load?

Got the Busa back today
smile.gif

The message he left with the wife is that the new chain and sprockets are on, but it is making a strange noise and I should leave it with them to check  it out.  I called back and told them I would be taking the bike home today.

I guess the service manager got in trouble over this because he difinately wasn't happy to see me.  Took my money (no discount) and brought the bike around without saying anything more than absolutely necessary.

Here's the statement from the receipt: "Unit still makes whirring noise while engine is under a load.  Sound goes away when you let off the throttle or pull the clutch in.  We cannot guarantee if this noise is a safety hazard or something minor.  It has to be addressed as a saftey hazard so we advise you not ride the unit until the noise is diagnosed and/or repaired."

I must be deaf.  I rode it 100 miles after picking it up and don't hear anything abnormal.  Just the wind, exhaust, and noisy brake pads they put on it a few months ago.  Anyone else have an audible "whirring noise" under load?
Are you certain they even changed your front sprocket? With a statement like they gave you, they now have deniability against any claims "he drove it despite our warnings not to." you may have. They may have been wanting to keep the bike for "diagnosis" while they waited for the originally ordered sprocket to come in.

There is a streach of road that has a few the radar signs that remind you how fast you are going. I use them to figure out how far off the speedo is. Figures that today the cops are sitting in the area. The signs make the radar trap invisible to the radar detectors that go off every day in the area because of the signs. So, I couldn't play with the signs too much, but it seems like the bike is going 3-4 MPH faster than it was at 70 mph indicated before. That's about right for +1 up front.

Download the manual and do your own work. It costs less to buy a chain break/press than it will cost you in labor for those idiots to do the work and sprockets are a piece of cake. At least then you would know what you are working with and wouldn't have to believe what the stealership is telling you. Good luck with the bike.

Dennis,
Check the rear tire and see if it is aligned properly (or even close with the swingarm hash marks)... It is wierd that they would be out for a sprocket, since Zuk stuff comes in a kit with the sprockets and chain....

Man, I'm just glad that you got the problem resolved. One thing I can say about my local dealership is that as long as you get your part order in before 12 noon, your part will be in on the next day. They aren't worth a damn besides that though. If it was a stock 17t sprocket that you needed, I would have been more than happy to send you one FREE OF CHARGE that has less than 1000 miles on it.

Download the manual and do your own work. It costs less to buy a chain break/press than it will cost you in labor for those idiots to do the work and sprockets are a piece of cake. At least then you would know what you are working with and wouldn't have to believe what the stealership is telling you. Good luck with the bike.
Note my signature

Man, I'm just glad that you got the problem resolved.  One thing I can say about my local dealership is that as long as you get your part order in before 12 noon, your part will be in on the next day.  They aren't worth a damn besides that though.  If it was a stock 17t sprocket that you needed, I would have been more than happy to send you one FREE OF CHARGE that has less than 1000 miles on it.
Went +1 up front. Thanks for the offer though.

Since you've got the buying power, I'd find a reputable dealer and ask to meet with the owner. Then let him/her know that you've got the cash if they've got the time, and that you'll pay a premium for kid-glove, immediate service. My Duc dealer once took a brand-new part off of a floor model when he didn't have one in stock. That's what I call service.

<!--EDIT|05 Busa LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154626208 -->

Back