starting issues when hot

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
I've had this occur once or twice before but never as bad as today. I was sitting in the drive thru at the bank waiting in line. Took longer than usual as my lane was moving slow. I sat at idle for appx 5-7 minutes then pulled up and shut it off so I could communicate with the teller. When I went to leave it wouldn't start.

It is moderately warm today 80-85 degrees and my electric fan had been kicking on and off while waiting, temp gauge got just a bit above the middle or half way. When I hit the start button it wouldn't even turn the motor over.

I sat for a few minutes to let it cool off some, still nothing. I ended up having to push start it, thank God for a nice hill nearby. I then drove immediately to my battery dealer who is appx two miles away. Talked to them for a minute or two, they had a battery so I went to pull it inside. It started as if there had been no problem. Seems to be a problem other than the battery. Anyone else had this problem?? Where is a good place to start looking for the problem

Your battery is low. Mine did the same thing last year waiting in line. The bike will not charge the battery unless you are turning over 2500 to 3k, I think thats right. In any case, it will not charge at idle so while you were sitting there at an idle moving up in line, the battery kept everything going until you shut it off. Then it was weak when you tried to start it back. I replaced my battery and keep a tender on it when it sits for more than a few days.

When mine did it, it was deader than a hammer. Thank the Lord Hal had the Busa Hospital there and we charged my battery. It never did it again, but I replaced it anyway.

Going through same thing now. It's time for a new battery here too.

If your starter gets heat soaked, even with a full battery, the bike will turn over soooo slowwly it wont start. Happened on my K8, after I let it idle in a traffic jam, then finally turned it off. The bike never got close to overheating from the temp gage.

Had to wait 20 minutes for bike to cool down, then turned over like normal.

They are correct,time for a new battery. Upgrade to one with more cranking amps for those hot days.:beerchug:

Thanks guys, I was figuring it was the battery just didn't want to drop a 100 dollar bill on one if there was another issue at hand.

+1 on battery. Had simular issue few months back on my 06 and replaced the battery. It was cured.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am new to the forum but, I had a question...I was in the twisties yesterday and pulled over with a couple of buddies for a break. when I tried to start my bike up again, while in neutral with the kickstand up, it came on but the engine would not start. I had to play with it a little, putting it in first gear and pushing in the kick stand ignition kill, among other things and it finally started. It was almost as if the bike was fully juiced electrically wise but it would not start. it gave me problems like that throughout the rest of the day when I would shut it off and try to turn it back on. does anyone know about this problem or know how I can fix it? I have a 07 so, the bike is pretty new. I do have a PCIII on it but the map is for yoshimura pipes not akrapovic bolt ons. thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I am new to the forum but, I had a question...I was in the twisties yesterday and pulled over with a couple of buddies for a break. when I tried to start my bike up again, while in neutral with the kickstand up, it came on but the engine would not start. I had to play with it a little, putting it in first gear and pushing in the kick stand ignition kill, among other things and it finally started. It was almost as if the bike was fully juiced electrically wise but it would not start. it gave me problems like that throughout the rest of the day when I would shut it off and try to turn it back on. does anyone know about this problem or know how I can fix it? I have a 07 so, the bike is pretty new. I do have a PCIII on it but the map is for yoshimura pipes not akrapovic bolt ons. thanks

Kyle, when you say it came on I'm assuming the fuel pump fired up and primed? Did it turn over and not start, or nothing happen when button was pushed? A bit more info will help the gurus here troubleshoot. If the starter button did nothing, I'd start looking at connections like you have, ie kickstand, neutral, etc..

A member had similiar problem at Bash in 06 and MC Mustang found connection issue but I forget where. Shawn? do you remember what the issue was on John's bike? It was in the handlebar controls somewhere?

Back