Battery

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
05 bike 14000 on the odo. Last week it started to act like the battery was dying every once in a while when I started it. Today, I turned the bike off for about 1 minute then went to restart it, the engine turned over once then nothing. I ended up popping the clutch to start it and it ran like a champ all the way home. Turned it off and it started again with no problem 15 minutes later. Took the battery out to have it tested, they said it held a good charge but the cold cranking amps were down to about 147. I'm not sure where there supposed to be at, but he recomended a new battery. They had one there for 50 bones with a 2 year replacement warranty. This was at batteries plus, I think I might go this route. Hell, if it sucks, Ill get a new battery every year! LOL Anyone else have this problem with the stock battery?

with electrical parts they just go wrong, theres none you can do a dayum thing about it...
sad.gif

No problems on my 05 Busa. You should get more than a year out of a battery. How you store it in the winter will have a big effect on how long it lasts.

did you trickle charge the battery over winterand long storage times. that will help with the life of the battery

The only times I have had problems with the battery is when I let the bike sit (don't ask why I wasn't ridin' it), didn't trickle charge or at least crank it up every few days. Other than that, starts up every time.

Never had a problem with the Busa, now my Vette is another question, it's battery is ALWAYS
mad.gif
going dead unless I drive it 3 to 4 times a week
sad.gif

Maybe you just got a dud? I would think ya should be able to get 4 years out of her...
rock.gif

my batterys on the bikes would last 1 year due to cold and stuff ...or mabey it was due to me not takeing care of the piece of ####

$50.00 is a great price for a replacement, I couldn't find anything close to that this spring when I needed to replace mine.
sad.gif

No problems on my 05 Busa.  You should get more than a year out of a battery.  How you store it in the winter will have a big effect on how long it lasts.
During the winter, the battery was out of the bike, insidet the house on a battery tender....
Maybe that is the problem. I have mine '05LE with 1500 miles on it. During the winter it sat in the garage. I would crank it up a couple of times a month and warm it up. No battery tender or trickle charge or anything like that. I just do not think it is necessary.

Did the people at the batterystore check your electrical system? What is more, did they check your battery as you brought it or did they charge it before testing it? If they did not charge it and your charging system is not OK, something will show wrong with the battery.

Most of the time a battery that behaves like that and the way that the member with the corvette mentions is due to something in the bike consuming the battery. It could be the voltage regulator, any aftermarket gizmo that is either defective or installed wrong. A battery is a simple device, it works based on some chemistry principles and it is not likely to find lemons within them. I have cars at home that I do not start in months (too many). They always do when I go to start them. One of them is a V-10 truck which needs all the power you can get from the battery to start cold and I have had no problems.

I would suggest checking your electrical system first or your new battery will go down the same road.
regards,

Jim

No problems on my 05 Busa.  You should get more than a year out of a battery.  How you store it in the winter will have a big effect on how long it lasts.
During the winter, the battery was out of the bike, insidet the house on a battery tender....
Maybe that is the problem. I have mine '05LE with 1500 miles on it. During the winter it sat in the garage. I would crank it up a couple of times a month and warm it up. No battery tender or trickle charge or anything like that. I just do not think it is necessary.

Did the people at the batterystore check your electrical system? What is more, did they check your battery as you brought it or did they charge it before testing it? If they did not charge it and your charging system is not OK, something will show wrong with the battery.

Most of the time a battery that behaves like that and the way that the member with the corvette mentions is due to something in the bike consuming the battery. It could be the voltage regulator, any aftermarket gizmo that is either defective or installed wrong. A battery is a simple device, it works based on some chemistry principles and it is not likely to find lemons within them. I have cars at home that I do not start in months (too many). They always do when I go to start them. One of them is a V-10 truck which needs all the power you can get from the battery to start cold and I have had no problems.

I would suggest checking your electrical system first or your new battery will go down the same road.
regards,

Jim
The battery had a full charge when I took it down. All was fine but the cranking amps, they were a little low. Once the bike fires it rides perfect so the charging system is working. I'm just going to replace the battery and see what happens.

Back