Starter problems

jrj

Registered
I own a '02 busa with only 3500 miles on it. The starter has been acting up and was difficult to start: so I thought the battery might need to be replaced. When I replaced the battery atthe shop; the bike made an nasty metallic grinding noise when I tried to start her. The shop states that the starter is either loose or the starter clutch plate has crapped out. I left the bike at the shop for further examination. This is odd due to the milage being so low. Either way, is this something to down a 5th over or no big deal.

"my problem has been solved in word to the wise"

<!--EDIT|jrj
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141779662 -->

Hey GUNNYBUSA, how long did you wait until you fixed the problem? At the dealers the bike woudn't start just a metallic clunking? Was yours that bad?

I'd hit the button and it would sound like the starter was kicking back but not engaging.

Thats the piont my bike was at when i left it. I take it you had no problem with a cracked case. I'm wondering if the starter will make a specific noise of the case is cracked or the gear has been sheard off.

I own an '03 , with 5,100 miles on it, and I never had an overheating problem until now. It must be noted that I mounted a pair of Yoshimura's (bolt ons) just four days ago but I had never been on a heavy traffic congestion before. Yesterday I went riding to Bike Week where I got stock on traffic for about 1-1/2 hours. The bike die on me and it would not start, no sound from the red start/stop switch (fuel pump), not even a clank from the starter as if the battery was dead, but the horn and and the head lights showed sings of a healthy battery. My friends helped me to push start it and I drove it for a few blocks to a parking lot where I let cool off for a while. After waiting for about an hour I turned the switch, the sound from the red switch (Fuel pump) came back up and the bike started right away. I rode at normal speed for a while with no problems until I decided that it was safe to get back on the Main Street traffic jam, once again, after about an hour the story repeats for the second time in the same day. At that time I remembered that the bike, specially the seat, felt really hot between my legs before it died. After I let cool down I started it and rode the 35 miles to my house with no problem.
My guess to this problem is that the bike has a weak radiator fan and a safety kill.:(

The dealer had my busa fixed only having to pay labor. If you have this same problem that I had read the multiple messages on many pages discussing this problem. Be kind to your dealer and hopefully they'll be kind to you.

<!--EDIT|jrj
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143754980 -->

Back