starter covers broke... how? why?

Sean298

Registered
So I got my bike back together finally after a very long time. I had my transmission undercut, valve adjustment, and a lot of other things, went to start it up and I hear a sound of something breaking, figured I'd see if the engine still turned over nicely, it did, but before that, I discovered numerous cracks in my starter covers. I believe there was a preexisting crack from when I was digging in there before, but had no problems since. I ordered new covers and plan to have a shop with a lathe make me a piece so I don't have to buy a new motor.. Any ideas how the hell this happened? After spending $1200 fixing and maintaining the bike this past month.. Needless to say, I'm pissed.
320a17ddd47d7d1a36ff930bcafbbeb0.jpg

45bded2e68aa7d0783e002086d63d69b.jpg

b093d9af43d38c1437df0208cab72629.jpg

I don't know but in the morning I'd bet somebody will have more insight as to what to is out of wack + how to fix it...aside from buying a few new parts

I've already ordered both of the starter covers+gaskets and plan to have someone make me a pin to go into the case and starter gear pin so I don't have to break down the motor AGAIN, and send out the case, seems like a real good way to go about fixing this.

but the question is why did this happen, I surely don't want it happening again. hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will know what's up.

Suzuki had to repair many many bikes back in 02 it was so common.

Its pretty ****ty timing for this to happen.. I guess what I'm looking for is why did this happen now and not sooner, and how do I make it not happen again? What parts do I need? I already have the new starter, the one with the green label.

Its a 2002, but what's funny is that it has 50k miles on it, strange that the problem would come up now

Not really, like i said some bikes had the major flaw, yours appears to be a kick back problem. Witch a lot of time the gears just rip teeth off, or what has happened to you.
Now for the fix, all covers and gears, pins and washers and starter from a 03 and up.
As for the case, now thats a problem, either you need a new lower case, bearings, to do it the correct way, or a good welder, and machinist that can repair the broken post!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is.
Good luck with the repairs, am im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I spent some quality time in the garage fabricating a pin on the lathe to fit into the existing hole, cause I really do not want to buy a new case thank you very much.. Then I spent money on eBay and amazon, bought the full set of 03+ covers, gears, etc. And a lithium battery off amazon, 290 CCA for $105 ftw

95722db333f5555c68afca543b365e84.jpg

Your better off welding the broken piece back on then uses the case saver, as well as your pin

Well its all back together with the new starter gears, and covers. It seems to work well, but I have a huge engine problem. Its hard starting, it'll turn over ok, when it finally does start, it runs like **** and has a loud noise sort of like those ducatis with the open clutch or whatever that is. It sounds bad and I don't feel great running it, I have no idea what's wrong, timing is spot on, all of the hoses and things are hooked up, oil is good.. One bad thing I saw is I looked at the intake valves and it looks like there was some misfiring and sludgy stuff on top of all of them.. I'd really like if there was someone in my area that has experience with these engines that can take a look for me.

Back