Start my car then....BOOM

mrjoeys50

Registered
Well today I decided to pull out my '91 Mustang for a cleaning. I start it up and BOOM... The airbag deploys. :banghead: If you have never herd one before... IT IS LOUD. My ears were ringing for at least 5 min. So after I changed my underware :whistle: I thought... dang this could have killed me if I were driving down the road??? Anyway I called Ford and the NHTS to possibly start a recall. I understand this is almost a 20 yr old car but this should not happen. BTW all the sensors look ok. Anyway not a good way to start the day

100_1963.jpg

100_1962.jpg

Never heard about this happening on the Fox bodys. Glad you are ok, those things can do some damage.

I don't think it is ever too late for a recall. Glad you are ok and it didn't happen while you were driving, that could have been bad.

Need to speak up an try an find others that it has happened to, sad to say but ford is one of the worst car manufactures to admit that they made a mistake, they waited 10 years to admit a mistake an recall fuel rails, an admitted a mistake an never did the recall in the US for ignition switch defect said it would cost to much money. I love their cars but with the way they stand behind their auto's not likely I'll go back, and I am jonezzzzzing for the Flex limited:thumbsup:

Need to speak up an try an find others that it has happened to, sad to say but ford is one of the worst car manufactures to admit that they made a mistake, they waited 10 years to admit a mistake an recall fuel rails, an admitted a mistake an never did the recall in the US for ignition switch defect said it would cost to much money. I love their cars but with the way they stand behind their auto's not likely I'll go back, and I am jonezzzzzing for the Flex limited:thumbsup:

yeah I used to post at the Corral.net... maybe I will post this tonight

was it a prior salvage or anything like that? Ever messed with any sensors?

Nope I have owned it since '97, and from what I know the lady I bought it from never crashed... clean title...

On a good note... I have always wanted an aftermarket wheel, just never knew how I was going to take out the airbag... guess I can get it now...:beerchug:

One of our neghibors ford suv caught on fire under the attached carport on their house. I beleive it was the ignition switch or something like that. But it ended up burning their whole house down. Lots of witnesses saw the car burning first. Ford sends out their investigators out and they say the house caught the car on fire. Good luck.

just be glad you didn't have anything in your mouth like a pen or pencil. It's happened but it's pretty few and far between for the old fox bodies. maybe she was mad cause you were spending too much time with your busa :poke:

Good thing you weren't burned. When my buddy was in an accident...the bag deployed and the force of it rashed up his entire right arm real bad. That powder sh*t is nasty stuff too.

just be glad you didn't have anything in your mouth like a pen or pencil. It's happened but it's pretty few and far between for the old fox bodies. maybe she was mad cause you were spending too much time with your busa :poke:

yeah I am sure you are right... I drove it only once last month:whistle:

Good thing you weren't burned. When my buddy was in an accident...the bag deployed and the force of it rashed up his entire right arm real bad. That powder sh*t is nasty stuff too.

yeah they are "powder actuated devices" in other words they contain explosives and come out at roughly 320 mph but are supposed to deflate just as quickly to avoid really hurting the driver.

Back