Standing Mile

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
Looking at 17 front 37 rear for 201, just wondering how a stock motor would do in the standing mile with this change and what you guys are running.

brave.gif

<embed src="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fsmileys.smileycentral.com%252Fcat%252FF%252Ftransport.swf%253Fcode%253DF%252F0%252F169%2526partner%253DZSzeb110%255FZNfox000/transport.swf" loop="false" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100" height="120" name="transport" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" wmode="transparent" flashvars="code=F/0/169&partner=ZSzeb110_ZNfox000" />

what's the rolling circumference of your rear tire?

how much do you weigh geared up?

do you have a TRE installed?

you're not gonna get 200 I bet. you might be close

17 / 37 should produce 205 at 10200 in 6th. Running stock rear wheel and tire, about 250 geared up. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

sorry but unless there's a good tail wind 200 isn't gonna happen. look for 180's.

The other approach is to just have fun. If you're going end of June it's gonna be a hot one. Bring lots of water. Each run just try and improve your ridding skills. More seat time = more mph...

I always set myself a modest goal which is to improve my mph from the last meet. Try and be consistant and concentrate on launch, breath, 1st gear, breath, 2nd gear, breath, shift points, breath, tuck, finish, brake....

Even without any sprocket changes you can play with tire psi to see what happens. Just make sure you do two runs after each change to see if there's an advantage/disadvantage. Only make one change at a time so you know if it's the cause for improvements.

Thanks CB; have you ran at Maxton ? I might give it a try. I know I'm a hundred pounds or so heavy for this, and yes if I do it it will be in fun. I have read several ladies running 180's on bone stock Busas. One ran 212 or 15 on turbo ride. Unfortunately she had trouble in cool down/ slow down area. Was hoping for more input from those that have been. It will probably be this fall. I'm starting to have chain issues ( my fault, no maintenance first 11.5K ). Thought about trying 17/37 when I replaced the chain. Don't know about a hard launch with that rear gear. The Busa does have an azz of torque.

(dadofthree @ Jun. 12 2007,15:21) Looking at 17 front 37 rear for 201, just wondering how a stock motor would do in the standing mile with this change and what you guys are running.
201 is NOT gonna happen with 17/37 on a stock bike
crazy.gif

(dadofthree @ Jun. 18 2007,18:31) Thanks CB; have you ran at Maxton ? I might give it a try. I know I'm a hundred pounds or so heavy for this, and yes if I do it it will be in fun. I have read several ladies running 180's on bone stock Busas. One ran 212 or 15 on turbo ride. Unfortunately she had trouble in cool down/ slow down area. Was hoping for more input from those that have been. It will probably be this fall. I'm starting to have chain issues ( my fault, no maintenance first 11.5K ). Thought about trying 17/37 when I replaced the chain. Don't know about a hard launch with that rear gear. The Busa does have an azz of torque.
yes I've been to Maxton. There's still one record with my name in it for the record books. I ended last year being 6th in the points race/standings. I haven't gone at all this year though. (no $$$). I help my buddy out in getting his bike prepped for each race before he heads down there. So I would say I have some experience.

The September event is gonna be packed! If your going just to have fun it's a good event to meet alot of people. If you're looking to get alot of seat time on the track then the October event is a much better choice.

There's all kinds of sized people there with all kinds of bikes and cars. I've watched a 250+ guy on his zx12 with hard saddle bags tear down the track more than once. He wasn't setting any records but I'm sure he still had a great time. It's just a huge adrenline rush to be able to safely wack open the throttle and let that engine wail to it's limits! It's a great feeling!

Also remember you've got a whole mile to get up to speed so with your setup the launch isn't so critical. You don't need it to top out before the finish line.

Also check out the ECTA-lsr.com site. Sign up as a memeber and you'll get the rule book which will explain all of the safety issues you have to take care of for inspection and also an overview of the whole racing process. The main things are to toss your mirrors, passenger foot pegs, safety wire everything (so to say), and proper leather gear.

There have been very few accidents at the races there. She's ok though. Broken collar bone. Fire/rescue was right there to take care of her. ps you always have to take it easyand learn everything again when you hop on someone elses bike.

Hi everybody
I am a newby to this site and also to the Hayabusa. I bought my bike about 3 months ago. I was very displeased with the low end power range when I bought it. I expected it to be comparable to my KX500. I fell victim to the internet bragging from the guys that own one for bragging rights. I'm sure you have all heard the legends told about these bikes. Now that I have put 1500 miles on the bike I get that the sweet spot of this motorcycle is between 60-150 or maybe faster but I have only been to 160. There seems to be plenty left in the bike but I haven't found enough room to really push the limits. Ultimately I want a hot rod bike that will pull the wheel up in the first three gears and be fun to run the streets with but I realized that I have an opportunity to break into the 200 mile an hour club on my meager budget with this bike. So before I modify it to scream the streets I want to run at Bonnevile for speed week. I want to chase my dream of speed before I get too old. I would happily entertain any advice that someone wants to offer up on how to achieve my 200mph goal without it being monetarily all consuming. I have a 99 Busa with 21,000 miles on it. Originally I bought it for $4600 with the intention of beating it to death and then chalking up the cost of the motorcycle to an entertainment expense. From what I have read on this site contrary to popular belief this bike will not run 200 in it's stock form. I need advice on the cheapest way to ensure I have a bike that will do atleast 200 otherwise my trip and expense will be in vain if I don't get to achieve my goal.

welcome aboard hot rod.

Bonneville is a whole different story than Maxton. Even though you have alot more room I think it's harder at Bonne unless you've got a good turbo.

Bonneville is about traction and aero's and learning how to ride at high speeds. I haven't gone to Bonne yet. (Some day when I have more funds though.) so I'm not the best source on how to break 200mph there. My guess though is that you would need a very stout motor, or 10lbs of N2o, or like i said a good well built turbo system, and lots of extra weight.

The Busa has grunt at low end, but really gets strong at 4K to 10K. It will bury the factory speedo with ease. That said you will only be running about 180+, now on a '99 you should come close to 200, just not in the standing mile.

My only experience is on my '06 with 16K miles on it. I feel that I've been plus 180, but only have a GPS of 178 so far. I have to barrow the GPS.

Still looking for additional input. The calculator says 205 at 10200 in 6th.

give it a try... and bring a 38T with you. You might even be able to borrow one from someone there in case you're not able to climb those revs by the time of the finish line.

i finaly found my old gar calc stuff....

based on the numbers you mentioned (17/37=205@10200) would mean that you're assuming your tire circumfrence is gonna be 77"... that's kinda big in my opinion....

if I were you, I would go 17/39 and bring a 38 with you as your tire tread beings to wear down... (maybe use the 38 on Sunday).

Also I don't know if they changed the revs limit but a 2002 will rev to 10800 actual.

The 10200 was based on calcs, not limits. I see what I can find. I need to be close to 10400 at the trap because a stock Busa should peak somewhere around 10.4, 10.5. I've watched some stock Busas and they all hit 6th in the standing mile. I need to make some local runs, I'm thinking I can hit 10.5 in every gear and hit 6th within a half mile. That would give me a half mile to run 6th from around 9.8 up to 10.4.

Back