Squeaky Rear Wheel Or Chain? Video Included....thoughts?

InfiniteReality

Registered
I noticed my chain getting noisy the other day and realized I haven't cleaned/lubed it in a while, so got that accomplished but hear a squeaky sound coming from it. My first thoughts is that it's my chain and it's on it's last leg, but wanted some other opinions on it please.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the chain is dragging or rubbing something.
Always hard for me to tell the sounds of anything on youtube videos/laptop speakers.

Sounds like the chain is dragging or rubbing something.
Always hard for me to tell the sounds of anything on youtube videos/laptop speakers.

I feel ya on that. I suck at explaining stuff so had to do a video. I didn't see anything it was rubbing on, but need to put a flashlight to double check it. I can't really locate where the sound is even coming from, it almost sounds like the wheel itself.

The chain is 5yrs old and about 5k miles on it, 3k of it was put on in the last 6 months.

How tight is the chain? Not sure, but it looks like it's really tight.

Chain is right on the cusp of needing to be tightened. About 1" of play in it.

It's just an odd sound... Almost like a rubber type of squeaking. I've never heard of the O-ring in chains making that sound before.

Man, I wish it was that easy but negative on license plate...I thought the same thing too. I put 40 miles on it yesterday after cleaning/lubing the chain Sunday. It'd venture to say it's about 75% quieter now. :) Those rubber bushings in the rear wheel hub shouldn't make noise, right?

The chain/sprocket is 5yrs old and has about 5200 miles. The first 4.5years I only put 2k miles on it, but last 6 months put 3200 on it. Up until December 2013 it lived in my living room, then stayed in storage (no HVAC) for 9 months, and past 15 months it's lived in my shop. I sort of wonder if due to lack of use, storage for 9 months and lots of riding recently if it's time for a new chain?

I would think that at 5000 miles you chain and sprockets should be fine, as long as there was some type of PM done.

Your not far from me . I could ride out one day , and have a look at it .

I definitely appreciate the offer! I think I can figure it out. Oiling it definitely made it alot quieter. I've been itching to put a stock size sprocket back on the bike, so think I'll order one and keep the same chain since it doesn't have that many miles on it. I was always taught to replace both at the same time, but since this doesn't have that many miles and the 45t sprocket looks good I may be okay, least till it's time to replace this chain. I'll also be able to inspect stuff closer with the wheel off too.

While the chain was off, I was wondering if it's possible to soak it in oil for a day to make sure all the o-rings get lubricated good? Is this even a good idea and if so, maybe some heavy weight motor oil?

It depends on what manual you read . Kaw says clean chain with Kerosene , and lube . Suzuki says do not use kerosene to clean the chain . However both brands are using
DID or RK branded O ring / X ring chains . Heavy oil is good for a non O ring chain . Personally I just clean with Kerosene , soft terry towel , let air dry then use brand = insert what you like chain lube .

I'll do just as you suggested when I remove it. Definitely can't hurt. Plus I need to get kerosene for the shop heater wife gave me, so I'll have it on hand for chain cleaning. :)

Thanks!

Couple weeks ago I installed a new silver RK chain & Vortex steel stock tooth sprocket while I was at it. I always forget how much of a pain it can be to change the chain. Everything is quiet again, solved my issue. :)

I did try cleaning it before, but within a week or 2 it was back to squeaking again. I've been itching to swap sprockets as well, so worked out good all the way around. :)

Back