Spray Bars are Crap

imagesCAGYL5HN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea spray bars have never worked for anyone....... :banghead:

Now progressive setups are a little tricky for me therefore I have always chose to do staged nitrous setups. Sure on the first stage it might be a bit rich but easily rectified with certain tricks.......

Busashot,
using spray bars (or multiple sets of spray bars) for staged nitrous can be tough to setup and run smoothly for the chassis (especially in first and second gear), but if you have it working that's good. My problem with spray bars is using a progressive. They work, but they break things. I was hoping to get some discussion on how they can be designed with less pulsing and less lean/rich condition, but all I have drummed up is lots of pretty pictures of different spray bars. Whatever. The turbo guys have come to expect solid reliable 350 HP motors that can take thousands of miles or thousands of passes. I think nitrous can / should be almost as reliable

Power delivery for NItrous is much more violent than a Turbo. Progressing with a spraybar is not a problem. I have built and tuned numerous Nitrous bikes that spray a hell of alot more than a 40 shot and are still running with no problems. People get in trouble with Nitrous because they dont full understand it beyond what they read.

I am by far no expert on this matter, and you guys I know have a ridiculous amount of experience with this stuff, but I am headed in this direction with a HTP setup that I have in hand. After thinking about the proposed question, it appears as if the only way you could ever have a PERFECT map for the ramp up of Nitrous is to have gear based mapping for every gear. Short of being able to adjust the map per gear, it looks as if you ARE going to be a little fat at the beginning of your ramp up period unless I am missing something. So my question now is at what amount of nitrous and at what length of ramp time does this become an issues with the motor and extra wear?

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in here, but when you use the tool in EE to ramp up the nitrous, is it also ramping up the fuel along with it, or does the map get the extra amount of fuel from the get go. If the fuel is ramped up along with the nitrous, I don't see how you could possibly ask for a better system. Anyone?

I am by far no expert on this matter, and you guys I know have a ridiculous amount of experience with this stuff, but I am headed in this direction with a HTP setup that I have in hand. After thinking about the proposed question, it appears as if the only way you could ever have a PERFECT map for the ramp up of Nitrous is to have gear based mapping for every gear. Short of being able to adjust the map per gear, it looks as if you ARE going to be a little fat at the beginning of your ramp up period unless I am missing something. So my question now is at what amount of nitrous and at what length of ramp time does this become an issues with the motor and extra wear?

Steve,
We might be mixing and matching issues here. How you add fuel to keep up with the nitrous is a totally different issue. In general a motor can do fine for short periods of time down at 10:1 until it loads up. Progressively adding fuel and nitrous can be done by a) timing or by b) gear based steps or c) gear based ramps. Any of these methods can be made to give you a good A/F ratio. And if it runs a bit rich, who cares.

The problem I am trying to point out is that pulsing a bar can give you huge variation in one cylinder fire and the next. THATS what blows stuff up. The meter may say your running 12.5:1 but you really are swinging from 10 to 15. boom.

Maybe someone more experienced can chime in here, but when you use the tool in EE to ramp up the nitrous, is it also ramping up the fuel along with it, or does the map get the extra amount of fuel from the get go. If the fuel is ramped up along with the nitrous, I don't see how you could possibly ask for a better system. Anyone?

Fuel is always ramped if you are spraying or not. That is the way that the system works. It is progressed. What you add Nitrous you just add fuel to that area that you are spraying. There is no difference in progressing a spraybar and progressing a wet system with the nozzles tapped into the head.

Back