Sport Rider Magazine says K1300S > Busa

The S1000RR is freaking hilarious, I think cycleworld did a break of the parts on it! Oh look a tail section from a kawi, exhuast from a ktm, headlights from a cbr, tank from a yamaha.

Sorry I know that was off subject just funny, like the buell 1125RR - cheaters.
Posted via Mobile Device

One word! Gearing! Busa geared for 198, Bmw for what, maybe 170!

Ditto. Roll-on 60-80 generally refers to top gear roll-on. It is not a particularly useful number unless there is a huge disparity. I am never in 6th at 60 mph.

Every BMW dealership and BMW owner will now buy this mag. It will be quoted in BMW literature. If the Busa had won nobody would really notice.

The 1/4 mile numbers tell the real story.

shaft drive is nice and quiet. i still like the way the busa looks tho

are you Americans limited to 146hp? i the uk we have 189hp basic this would leave the old mans hog 4 dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
busa is the Daddy:whistle: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::thumbsup::laugh::rofl:

Yep same deal with the liter bikes...they're geared lower than the big bikes. You gear the busa the same as a liter or the BMW, and no contest anywhere in the acceleration department. I don't know why they gear the big bikes so high :banghead:

Just read article _its crap. Lacks mid range torque?! And and one of the cats says; the hayabusa hasnt had any recent changes-WHAT?

Last edited:

Exactly! So drop a 45-46T in the rear and it's game over. But I still smell :bs: in the outcome of this article.

IMO BMW does make a nice quality product. Other then the engine size...I don't see these two as truly comparable. Their definitely MARKETED to a different crowd. And the Busa is just more of a pure sportsbike. No question about that!

Going riding with one tomorrow. We'll see. :thumbsup:

Road tested the K1200S, 1200 miles in 3 days, and overall just not quite the same.

Img_8807_Pashnit.jpg

Img_8807_Pashnit.jpg

If you register at this site, you can download a pdf of the article.

k1300S spanks Hayabusa in Sport Rider mag test - I-BMW.com

The members take the article with a grain of salt and are pretty realistic if you read the comments.

I owned a 2001 BMW R1100S. It was a decent bilke. Fork powder coating flaked off, fasteners rusted, it had some fueling/surging issues and the tranny was clunky. Went from that to my 2002 GSX-R1000. Quality on the gixxer was miles ahead of the beamer and is still performing flawlessly.

Even so I was actually interested if BMW was going to bring the K1300R (naked version) to the US - they did not. In researching the K1200R from the previous year I found that the same old issues I had were still present 7 years later so it was an easy call to buy the K8 Hayabusa. BMW still has yet to nail fuel injection as the K1300S still has stalling troubles. Trust me, the big 4 Japanese bike manufactures are all above BMW in overall quality and long lasting reliablility and at a lower costs. My 2¢.

How do you explain these numbers?

Roll Ons
BMW 60-80/2.71 sec - Busa 60-80/2.98 sec
BMW 80-100/2.82 sec - Busa 80-100/3.07sec

BMW HP/Torque 146.8@9250/89.6@8000
Busa HP/Torque 164.8@9500/97.6@8500

The Busa has both more HP and Torque, yet is slower in the roll ons???
And I thought the shaft robs HP.
What is going on here?
I love both bikes.
But for appearance and price, the Busa is still a huge bargain.
Lenny

Easy to explain> GEARING ! The BMW turns 3750 RPM at 60 MPH. The Hayabusa turns 3278 RPM at 60 MPH. Doesnt sound like a big difference until you plug in a few numbers at gearingcommander.com. For the Busa to turn 3750 RPM at 60 MPH the gearing change required is -1+3 !! Holy crap !! We all know what a -1+3 feels like. I would like to see the high gear roll on numbers with that gearing. The Busa would annihilate the BMW in high gear roll ons. Take a hundred bucks from the $3,000 price difference to change the gearing on the Busa and it would be an entirely different comparison.
Try that comparison SPORT RIDER !! In fact I am forwarding this thread them. Nice try BMW and Sport Rider but you lose !

Last edited:
I think this is the first time in the busa's long and illustrious career that its had its magazine nose bloodied, and had to skulk away with its tail between its legs :laugh: I guess according to Sport Rider, the new reworked for 08 busa is a clear loser :poke:
There's still the Beemer and 14 tho :thumbsup:

Easy to explain> GEARING ! The BMW turns 3750 RPM at 60 MPH. The Hayabusa turns 3278 RPM at 60 MPH. Doesnt sound like a big difference until you plug in a few numbers at gearingcommander.com. For the Busa to turn 3750 RPM at 60 MPH the gearing change required is -1+3 !! Holy crap !! We all know what a -1+3 feels like. I would like to see the high gear roll on numbers with that gearing. The Busa would annihilate the BMW in high gear roll ons. Take a hundred bucks from the $3,000 price difference to change the gearing on the Busa and it would be an entirely different comparison.
Try that comparison SPORT RIDER !! In fact I am forwarding this thread them. Nice try BMW and Sport Rider but you lose !

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Remember one thing. Sport Rider is associated with the same people that own and run Motorcyclist....Also known as Catterson and Clowns LTD. Motorcyclist isn't even worth wiping your butt with so it now has no purpose. Glossy paper scratches too much....back to the Charmin.

Motorcyclist was trying to push the agenda that V-twins are the future and inline fours are the past. Just what I need.....someone telling me what I should be riding and pushing THEIR agenda on me. I let the subscription lapse and have no intention of ever renewing. They even got too lazy to take the test bikes out to the dragstrip and to the dyno. Didn't they just do an article on a Busa with a load of addons and never did a before or after dyno run?

Why buy a magazine to read about what someone added to a bike and not have any data with it? I can get that at any bike night in the Chicago area. I get tons of more info on this site. There are some very good and sharp people here.

Actually....magazines are the past and sites likes this are the present and the future. Motorcyclist seems to be pushing Euro bikes over the Asian ones so I wouldn't put too much credence in what SportRider is starting to say as it sounds like they are taking the same direction. Just don't buy it or subscribe to their site.

There was a thread on one of these sites that had an ex magazine writer on it, and he alluded that he told had to present a certain point of view. I don't know if these two magazines are like that, but there was a huge difference in Motorcyclist when Catterson took over from Mitch Boehm. I really do miss the product Boehm put out.

Looks like a great bike! It's actually great news for busa riders because if BMW or anyone else (kawaski 14) gets close Suzuki will just tweak and we can all tell our wives/GFs (ahhh - husbands for the ladies) we need to buy a new Gen III Busa...

Who the hell on this site cares? You bought a Busa why? I rode it, and liked it. It's still the best all around street bike I have ever ridden.

Remember one thing. Sport Rider is associated with the same people that own and run Motorcyclist....Also known as Catterson and Clowns LTD. Motorcyclist isn't even worth wiping your butt with so it now has no purpose. Glossy paper scratches too much....back to the Charmin.

Motorcyclist was trying to push the agenda that V-twins are the future and inline fours are the past. Just what I need.....someone telling me what I should be riding and pushing THEIR agenda on me. I let the subscription lapse and have no intention of ever renewing. They even got too lazy to take the test bikes out to the dragstrip and to the dyno. Didn't they just do an article on a Busa with a load of addons and never did a before or after dyno run?

Why buy a magazine to read about what someone added to a bike and not have any data with it? I can get that at any bike night in the Chicago area. I get tons of more info on this site. There are some very good and sharp people here.

Actually....magazines are the past and sites likes this are the present and the future. Motorcyclist seems to be pushing Euro bikes over the Asian ones so I wouldn't put too much credence in what SportRider is starting to say as it sounds like they are taking the same direction. Just don't buy it or subscribe to their site.

There was a thread on one of these sites that had an ex magazine writer on it, and he alluded that he told had to present a certain point of view. I don't know if these two magazines are like that, but there was a huge difference in Motorcyclist when Catterson took over from Mitch Boehm. I really do miss the product Boehm put out.

+1
The mags will print what they want to print, regardless of the actual outcome.
It all comes down to sponsor dollars. When was the last time you saw a busa ad in sport rider. I bet BMW is going nuts on ads with the new SS1000R(drool worthy, btw) and the K1300S(nice bike, but not as sporty as the busa).

I know someone who had the K1200S and an 04 busa. The busa was his favorite bike of all the bikes he had owned(a common theme among ex busa riders).

bmw pricing.

K 1300 s: Pricing, options and accessories

base msrp: $15,250

standard package: $15,500
* heated grips

premium package: $17,500
* heated grips
* gear shift assistant

be nice to park next to my busa....:thumbsup:
No bmw bash, no bmw stampede.. :banghead:
no org
not bad prices, not a busa.... Say no more..:moon: