Spiders in the shed

i've been bit by a brown recluse before. My arm started feeling like it was faliing asleep the next day and also was swelling a little. Went to the DR and got a shot to stop the reaction. It hurt like a mutha when it bit me though. I think I could see the mark on my arm for 6 months! I am not a big spider fan.

Your nuts just handlin a knarly lookin spider like that without knowing for sure!
wow.gif
I guess I was a little crazy for holding the spider without knowing for sure how dangerous it was.
blush.gif
I thought it might bite, but didn't think they were poisonous. The only spiders I knew of that I definitely shouldn't hold were the Brown Recluse and Black Widow. Anyway, my fear factor days with spiders are over now.

Billbell... I saw some gory pics of the aftermath of a Brown recluse bite while following some links in my quest for spider education. Did yours turn out that bad? Nasty stuff. (see link below, and scroll down the page.)

Recluse bite photos

Okay, this post has officially got me freaked out
wow.gif
I hate all spider, except dead ones. I never should have opened this thread, but it's like passing a train wreck...you just can't help but look.

Warbrown, you're nuts man.
laugh.gif

Nasty lookin' but not dangerous...
Not dangerous? NOT DANGEROUS?
rock.gif
You've gotta be kiddin'! One of them damn things would make me hurt myself for sure!!!
eek2.gif

Ok, maybe they aren't inherently dangerous, but they would certainly cause a dangerous situation. I could hurt myself or somebody while I was tryin' to outrun those big bastids!
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102263484 -->

Give me a spider any day ... but a snake ... no way ... I'll have to chop their heads off quick fast in a hurry!
Cool pics Warren!! High of 50 degrees today ... I'm riding too.

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102269814 -->

Yeah I have heard about that...  I'm not happy bout it either...  And wanting a house out in the woods will only make the problem worse...  I general "Catch and Release" any spiders I find in the house.  I relocate them to areas where I need more pest control, usually out back along my sliders.

I have done some reading on the HOBO I just wonder how common they are and how often they come in contact with humans.  I do know that fortunatly they frequently do no inject their venom and just "dry" bite...  So I guess that is a bonus...

Hell I lived with fuggin 6" Camel Spiders in Saudi for 6 months, I can deal with a Hobo...  
laugh.gif
Yeah, well, until you're familar with the spiders in your new area and can identify a Hobo spider, it may be best to catch and release from a jar or something.

The Hobo spider does not have ring patterns on its legs, and it does have chevron patterns on the top of its abdomen. This is probably the most readily identifiable way of identifying them as compared to the run of the mill Wolf spider. They're also not as big as some folks think.

To the next point, they're VERY common up in the Seattle area, extending out as far east as Butte, MT, pretty much throughout Idaho and Oregon, and extending down as far as Salt Lake City, UT. It's suspected that the Hobo first found its way into this country through the Seattle docks, which explains the high concentration there and spreading outward.

As to the dry bites or partially dry bites, this is correct - but it's only about 50% of the time. When I was up in Seattle I was bitten three times - described as mostly dry bites. The bite didn't hurt initially - another great misconception about the Hobo bite - then about half an hour later a hard bump forms around the bite. A big red area a couple of inches across appears around that little bump, then a day or a day and a half later it blisters up and becomes open. This is where the serious necrosis comes to play if it's a full, wet bite...

I've seen bites on hands where the pit goes clear down to expose bone. Nasty.

After the first time, I lanced the bite area as soon as it started getting the hard bump and bleed it out thoroughly. The first bit of blood comes out dark - not a good sign. I'd keep opening it and bleeding it out and they healed up quite well. Then again, mine were mostly dry bites.

My first bite was on my arm - probably pissed the little bugger off when cutting wood. The next two were on my legs because one of the favorite places of the Hobo is in your bed and in your clothes...

Steve

Yeah I have heard about that...  I'm not happy bout it either...  And wanting a house out in the woods will only make the problem worse...  I general "Catch and Release" any spiders I find in the house.  I relocate them to areas where I need more pest control, usually out back along my sliders.

I have done some reading on the HOBO I just wonder how common they are and how often they come in contact with humans.  I do know that fortunatly they frequently do no inject their venom and just "dry" bite...  So I guess that is a bonus...

Hell I lived with fuggin 6" Camel Spiders in Saudi for 6 months, I can deal with a Hobo...  
laugh.gif
Yeah, well, until you're familar with the spiders in your new area and can identify a Hobo spider, it may be best to catch and release from a jar or something.

The Hobo spider does not have ring patterns on its legs, and it does have chevron patterns on the top of its abdomen.  This is probably the most readily identifiable way of identifying them as compared to the run of the mill Wolf spider.  They're also not as big as some folks think.

To the next point, they're VERY common up in the Seattle area, extending  out as far east as Butte, MT, pretty much throughout Idaho and Oregon, and extending down as far as Salt Lake City, UT.  It's suspected that the Hobo first found its way into this country through the Seattle docks, which explains the high concentration there and spreading outward.

As to the dry bites or partially dry bites, this is correct - but it's only about 50% of the time.  When I was up in Seattle I was bitten three times - described as mostly dry bites.  The bite didn't hurt initially - another great misconception about the Hobo bite - then about half an hour later a hard bump forms around the bite.  A big red area a couple of inches across appears around that little bump, then a day or a day and a half later it blisters up and becomes open.  This is where the serious necrosis comes to play if it's a full, wet bite...

I've seen bites on hands where the pit goes clear down to expose bone.  Nasty.

After the first time, I lanced the bite area as soon as it started getting the hard bump and bleed it out thoroughly.  The first bit of blood comes out dark - not a good sign.  I'd keep opening it and bleeding it out and they healed up quite well.  Then again, mine were mostly dry bites.

My first bite was on my arm - probably pissed the little bugger off when cutting wood.  The next two were on my legs because one of the favorite places of the Hobo is in your bed and in your clothes...

Steve
Gee Steve... Thanks a bunch... I am feeling SOOO much better about Seattle.....
smile.gif

Grr, I'll definitely be on the lookout...

All things being equal I'd rather deal with poisonous snakes... At least I understand their motivations.

This flesh rotting spider shid is going to get old fast.
smile.gif

smile.gif

Billbell...  I saw some gory pics of the aftermath of a Brown recluse bite while following some links in my quest for spider education.  Did yours turn out that bad?  Nasty stuff.
My bite was about the size of a head of a match. I am glad mine didn't out that bad. Those things can cause some serious damage. I think the brown recluse and the black widow are the only deadly spiders here in the US

I actually got bit by a brown recluse and almost had to have my arm amputated. Thankfully I didn't get permenant damage or the skin ulcers that can result. My problem was I ignored the signs and finally went in 2 days later and my arm almost didn't make it. My hand looked like it had a glof ball cut in half and stuck on my skin, it was black, blue, red, and so painfull I could no longer move my arm.
sad.gif

Speaking of poisonous spiders, found this black widow at the front door of our house this fall.  It was a female, had the red hour glass shape on its underside. There the bad ones (b*tch) Tried to get a shot of it, didn't happen, just the top side. There common up here in southern British Columbia.

<!--EDIT|BLKBLU04
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102306571 -->

Picture_113.jpg

My bite was about the size of a head of a match.  I am glad mine didn't out that bad.  Those things can cause some serious damage.  I think the brown recluse and the black widow are the only deadly spiders here in the US
I know a few deaths have been reported from Brown Recluse and Hobo bites, but I'm pretty sure they've been small children and old folks. It's been several years since I've done any reading on the topic. People's reations vary - some are very reactive to the venom while others aren't so.

Has anyone actually died from a Black Widow bite? I'd be interested to find out...

Steve

Gee Steve... Thanks a bunch...  I am feeling SOOO much better about Seattle.....  
smile.gif

Grr, I'll definitely be on the lookout...

All things being equal I'd rather deal with poisonous snakes...  At least I understand their motivations.

This flesh rotting spider shid is going to get old fast.  
smile.gif
Sorry Rev, didn't mean to give you the willies...

The point being, just be careful what spiders you pick up to toss outside. The Hobo is the only one up here you really have to worry about.

Just whatever you do, do NOT have an exterminator come over to spray. That usually tends to kill all the beneficial spiders in and around the house and allows the Hobo population to increase. There are special spider traps designed to trap Hobos. The good ones smell sort of like old peanut butter. Lay them out under the bed next to the wall - or wherever you see spiders zipping around.

Seattle's a cool place - you two will love it, except for the damnable traffic...

Steve

smile.gif

Back