speedo wont work after tree incident

xzvs

Registered
As some or most of you know a tree fell on my bike -- its 95% complete at the shop, but they have tried 3 different gauge clusters and cant get the speedo to work. If anyone has any insight or has gone thru this -- please let me know. :banghead:

Hmmmmm.. It sounds like maybe it's not the gauge clusters if you went thru three with no luck.. Was there damage near the front sprocket where the speed is measured ? Did they trace the line from there to the cluster ?

well the original was smashed (cluster) but seemed to be working after the incident (well know the tach and gauge sweep worked-- but clouldnt test speedo for obvious reasons)-- the other 2 were used -- so thats not a great test -- there was no damage near the front sprocket with the exception of the kickstand plate (cracked and bent)

well the original was smashed (cluster) but seemed to be working after the incident (well know the tach and gauge sweep worked-- but clouldnt test speedo for obvious reasons)-- the other 2 were used -- so thats not a great test -- there was no damage near the front sprocket with the exception of the kickstand plate (cracked and bent)

Hmmm.. Yeah, not a great test with used ones, but for two out of two to work with the exception of the speedo ? It seems unlikely, but unfortunately not impossible!! Wish I knew of another way to test.. Do you have access to another Busa ? Friend or someone who you could test the used clusters with to see if they are the problem ??

I wonder if they messed with the speedo when they were inspecting/replacing the kickstand plate ?? I would definitely pull the speed sensor out and make sure it is installed correctly.. It is easy to put it in wrong on the Gen 1 Busa's.. (At least a friend of mine said he put his back in wrong, had to re-install for it to work...)

It sounds like they didn't hook the speedo sensor back up on the sprocket cover or if they did sprockets didn't put the rotor back on...

It sounds like they didn't hook the speedo sensor back up on the sprocket cover or if they did sprockets didn't put the rotor back on...
I agree, Chances are 3 clusters won't be bad on the speedo part only. They need to check and see if they are getting a reading from the sensor. If it's like the auto motive sensors it will produce an AC current. I normally just see what the Frequency reading is. Might mention this to them. Good Luck.

Lessie if I can get a pic to work
busaow.jpg

Last edited:
there was a harness on the estimate -- but i think just for the front??
Insurance would not let me fix it myself and collect the money so I am kinda out of the loop -- just want my dang bike back (so maybe a rampaging elephant can get it next week)

Back