Speedo accuracy (mine seems on)

apehog

Registered
I know that most experience a deviation of around 7-9% inaccuracy from the indicated speed to actual speed, ie. 80 mph is really 73 to 74 mph. I accepted this for my '08 and figured that I had a cushion with the cops.

I have a Garmin 750 that I put in a duffel bag to comfirm that. Several 90 mile round trips were I kept a close eye on my max speed, running it up to no more than 85 showed that the speedo on this bike at least is spot on.

A further test on Friday nite were I flirted with the ton showed me at 102 mph. Good to know for sure if you're in a tightly patroled area. My bike btw is completely stock with oem tires. (Hmmm...guess that 150 indicated really was...)

I've had mine to 150 by the speedo but when people ask how fast I've been I tell them about 130 according to all Ive heard about the inaccuracy off the speedo. Maybe I'll change my story now.:laugh:

I don't have a GPS but I go by the speed indicators on the road and my speed is closer now that I have the 190/55's.
Only a couple of mph different up to about 50mph.
Bubba

I feel like my '08 is off by a LOT. When I'm a cager going to work, the speeds are around 65 to 70 mph on the ride in. When I take the busa instead of the truck, I always catch myself thinking "damn why is everyone going so fast??", but then I remember my speedo is likely really off. Seems I run closer to 80 on the busa speedo in the same kind of traffic I drive 65/70 in with the truck.

Time to borrow someone's GPS and see just how far off mine is.

Mine was not accurate at all. Clocked at 154 was reading about 172-174. Clocked about 175 and speedo was pinned. This was with stock sprockets doing licensing runs a while back. No use even talking speedo figures past this point, LoL

I may be a bit off on the exact figures but I do know the speedo was way off.

I believe we did some measurements against the GPS using a 41 (two down) sprocket and it was pretty much dead on.

I need to GPS my '08, but according to the trooper I spoke with it seems to be spot on as well.

I know that most experience a deviation of around 7-9% inaccuracy from the indicated speed to actual speed, ie. 80 mph is really 73 to 74 mph. I accepted this for my '08 and figured that I had a cushion with the cops.

I have a Garmin 750 that I put in a duffel bag to comfirm that. Several 90 mile round trips were I kept a close eye on my max speed, running it up to no more than 85 showed that the speedo on this bike at least is spot on.

A further test on Friday nite were I flirted with the ton showed me at 102 mph. Good to know for sure if you're in a tightly patroled area. My bike btw is completely stock with oem tires. (Hmmm...guess that 150 indicated really was...)

:rofl:Its nice to have a dream. If you want to believe that an indicated 150 is an actual 150, go right ahead and keep on believing. If you go to a drag strip and get your timing slip, you'll see that your indicated speed will be quite different from your actual speed. My last 11 Suzukis, including Busa's and Gixxers have all been off.

Maybe you have a different speed sensor processor in your ECU, a lazy needle, but I doubt it. :whistle:

I rememeber a post last year for an 08 speedo errors.

25.0 was actual 22.8
35.0 was actual 33.1
43.4 was actual 40.0
54.0 was actual 50.0
59.6 was actual 55.0
65.0 was actual 60.0
75.1 was actual 70.0
81.5 was actual 75.0
109.7 was actual 100.0

FWIW

:rofl:Its nice to have a dream. If you want to believe that an indicated 150 is an actual 150, go right ahead and keep on believing. If you go to a drag strip and get your timing slip, you'll see that your indicated speed will be quite different from your actual speed. My last 11 Suzukis, including Busa's and Gixxers have all been off.

Maybe you have a different speed sensor processor in your ECU, a lazy needle, but I doubt it. :whistle:

Like I said...there seems to be a variation between individual bikes...

wonder about tire inflation, clutch slippage?

I have a 20 year old bike with 235,000 kms on it.... cable to the front wheel and the speedo is SPOT on with the gps,,,, and the new active signs you see on the road.

wonder about tire inflation, clutch slippage?

I have a 20 year old bike with 235,000 kms on it.... cable to the front wheel and the speedo is SPOT on with the gps,,,, and the new active signs you see on the road.

Clutch slippage should have no effect (tire slippage would), but tire inflation (or size) would change it. The biggest thing is, there are guys claiming to be running the stock setup and seem to be getting different errors. It's weird. ???

Not argueing that the speedos are off. I know mine was when I had it radar checked by a buddy.

Now on the drag strip comment. They dont give you an actual exit speed. You get a trap speed meaning your average speed through the trap at the end of the track. There is no radar at the track. So they look at your time from the light at the entrance to the trap and the light at the exit of the trap. Therefore giving you the trap speed. Trap speed will be lower than actual. The reason being, you enter the trap at apeed X and exit the trap at speed y. The time in the trap equals Z.

The only time your trap speed would match your actual would be if you were gear/hp bound prior to entering the trap.

getting my GPS installed soon. will keep u guys posted on hat my bike reads. if off, Speedohealer ready to be installed.

There are a number of factors determining your speedo read. Tire ware and inflation being the major factors. I have had speedos that were very close on a new tire and some that were off a few points.

Suzuki will replace your speedo under warranty only if it's off more than 10%.

If your speedo is off, try the 42psi on a new factory tire. I think you'll find most bikes to be fairly accurate.

Last edited:
I use a Garmin 276c, in my truck, on the dirt bike and on the Busa.

Both truck and dirtbike is 100% in sink with GPS, on my Busa 161mph gives a GPS of 146mph.

I feel like my '08 is off by a LOT. When I'm a cager going to work, the speeds are around 65 to 70 mph on the ride in. When I take the busa instead of the truck, I always catch myself thinking "damn why is everyone going so fast??", but then I remember my speedo is likely really off. Seems I run closer to 80 on the busa speedo in the same kind of traffic I drive 65/70 in with the truck.

Time to borrow someone's GPS and see just how far off mine is.

+ 1 on that!! I know that traffic isn't moving at that speed all the time.

Back