Speaking of tires

The time is rapidly approaching when I am going to have to change the rear tire on my Busa. I am considering doing it myself -- with the proper tools of course.

Do many of you change your own or do people take 'em to the local shop?

The time is rapidly approaching when I am going to have to change the rear tire on my Busa.  I am considering doing it myself -- with the proper tools of course.

Do many of you change your own or do people take 'em to the local shop?
Pull the wheel (15mins) take it to the shop and have them change it and balance it....cost you $20......or do you have changer and balancer machines.
If you don't take it in you're gonna kick yerself if ya scratch it!!!!!!!

Thanks Revlis

You guys DO know some stuff about motorcycles... I don't know all the mechanical words you're using, but I guess that a competent mechanical would do the trick...

Now, as most of the guys here don't do burnouts I guess that the main factors of tyre durability are related to driving and to the road you're driving in. Higher grip roads make higher damage to the rear tyre... that might be the main reason for all these differences...

I'm always complaining about that rear tyre... it looks like it never has enough grip when i think 'bout doing a wheelie
sad.gif

So, any suggestion about a good brand for the rear tyre (since i'm using that low milleage BT10J)

Dunlop D208 is good, so is the Michelin Sportmax and I here the Metz M1 is a good one too.
I run the Sportmax, and really like it....good wearing and very sticky.
And welcome to the board L4G!!!!

My 2c:
1. You CAN put different tires on the front and back.
2. Put a plug and an inner tube in the tire.
3. Lowering the air pressure won't help in the sand, you may get a little better grip but it's not worth wearing out the tires faster.
smile.gif

Dunlop D208

I've used the stock tire and 207's. The stock tire was the worst of the three tires by far! Lacking on corner traction. 207's were great...nice wet and dry traction...but didn't last more than 3,000 miles. So I switched to 208's and damn they are nice. Cornering ease increased and last twice as long as 207's. Also wet and dry traction is still there. So far it is the best all around tire for me. If you want super sticky try 208 gp.

Oh to get and idea on the miles one rear tire lasted me very close to 7,000 miles. That is with riding it very hard and a couple burn outs.

WHOA!!!
jump9.gif
The Dunlop WILL be my next choice. I'm no crazy driver, since I'm only a 3 year motorcycle guy, but I LOVE cornering and the BT10J sometimes scared me a little bit...
Thank you guys, hope to find that tyre...

Oh, by the way, you guys tried the D280 ZR 190 or the 200? I ask this since the original Busa tyre is larger than a 190 according to some of the posts above...
(i really can't wait to put my bike running on that tyre - unfortunately, only after the 23rd of June - which is when i come back from holidays)
smile.gif

THat's a Bridgestone BT-010.
I usually get about 1700-1900 from them on the rear, 3500-4000 on the front.
It doesn't matter if I do burnouts or not, as you can tell from the pic, when the sides are worn, it's time to go dragracing!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, by the way, you guys tried the D280 ZR 190 or the 200? I ask this since the original Busa tyre is larger than a 190 according to some of the posts above...
(i really can't wait to put my bike running on that tyre - unfortunately, only after the 23rd of June - which is when i come back from holidays)
smile.gif
Stick with the 190

Here's a tire with 1800 miles on it...

THat's a Bridgestone BT-010.
I usually get about 1700-1900 from them on the rear, 3500-4000 on the front.
It doesn't matter if I do burnouts or not, as you can tell from the pic, when the sides are worn, it's time to go dragracing!!
Nice way to use your tyre! In the places where i usually drive you'd never have a tyre like that! The normal thing is to have a perfect tyre on the sides and totally worn in the middle... and oh boy... I really like cornering... but in here is dangerous 'cause most of the mountain roads are not so good
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bem Vindo / Welcome

One more from Portugal...

I guess I am not the only one anymore... At least I haven't met anyone else from around here. Closest one was Nightstalker from Belgium...

hehe, so you're gonna have a Busa soon? I see more each day in our country, so at this moment i'm thinking about making some customization on mine, to say, make the difference... only problem is the
pissed.gif
$$$$$

Hey Vripley.

The ratio I have gotten a few times is three rears per front.  I wouldn't recommend replacing just the rear with a different manufacturer tire.  Could cause some handling wierdness.
Not if you don't run curves......strighlining and touring it will be OK....as long as they are similar compounds.

I didn't have much luck finding a BT56 anywhere in town so I am going to try a BT010 on the rear with the BT56 in the front. The BT010 is the replacement for the 56 from what I was told(I am inclined to believe this guy). The rear is going to run me $130, does this sound like a good price? Has anyone run this combination? I am going to run this combination until the rear wears out again and then get some D208's I think or the M1 Sportecs. Any info would be helpful.

Have you seen in a couple of bike mags about a retread manufacturer in England is going to start shipping to the USA. Carcasses from Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Metzeler are going to be used. This is the same company that produces the red, green, blue, and yellow tires if you want to go in that direction. I'm a retired navy pil. and it's the same manufacturer that supplied the tires on the navy and air force aircraft. Clamis to be speed testwed up to 200 plus mph. I read about them in sport rider and then looking them up via the address that was supplied. Availability will begin in late June. If you go with the black color, cost is 50%-60% of new. You can also request the rubber compound that you want. Not a bad consideration for a track day if you ask me. Todd in Cincy.

Back