Soupy's Front Lowering Block / Handlebar Riser - Noob question

yougod

Registered
So I installed the rear lowering links this morning and will plan on tackling the front end as soon as possible. I was looking at the picture online at Soupy's website and compared it to mine.

Both of the pictures look similar, so I am wondering what I am installing and where. Can someone help me identify with the picture I provided if I should just add the block on top of the block I already see? Or has someone already installed a lowering block on the front of the bike?

WP_20140311_007.jpg

There's already a lowering block on there. Just "raise" the fork tubes up, and you're good to go!

Well that's great! Now I have to sell the lowering block that I just bought. Thanks for the replay.

:beerchug:

Many guys use those lowering blocks as a way to raise the handlebars for comfort rather than lower the front.

I've already installed the rear links and now the rear may be sitting slightly lower than the front. I just wanted to make sure I have an even drop. Although, I'm still not 100% sure where I should be measuring ride height in order to make sure it is even LOL.

I'm not a lowering expert, but whatever links you installed should have a set lowering level, right? Like 2" or something?

Just lower (technically raise) the front forks the same amount and you should be golden. :beerchug:

Soupy's is adjustable but it came preset as a 1" difference from the original ones. Originally, the front sat slightly lower than the rear (when measuring the bottom front of the frame trim and the bottom rear of the frame trim piece). Now the rear is about 1" lower than the front when measuring the same points.

Granted, I think my technique for measuring is incorrect. The bike looks like it sits pretty even. But I do want it as close to even as I can. Just not 100% sure what even is.

Even probably isn't your best case for handling purposes.. Usually the rear is higher than the front. But lowering a bike usually throws the geometry off everything as it is..

Even probably isn't your best case for handling purposes.. Usually the rear is higher than the front. But lowering a bike usually throws the geometry off everything as it is..

My main point of confusion is where the measuring points would be to determine ride height. I might be OK where it sits right now but I don't have a basis of measurement to go off of.

I guess I'm confused in what you are asking. If you put 1" lowering links on the rear, raise the forks 1" in the triple clamp. If you put 1.5" links in the rear, raise them 1.5", etc..

I don't think measuring body work or anything else will get you anywhere.

As of now I put on the Soupy links which were 1" different from the original ones. It seems to have effectively lowered the back-end around 1.5". I can see this happening since the links are mounted at an angle. The front forks, however, are more perpendicular and I'm pretty sure its a more 1:1 ratio when making changes.

Now forget about everything I just typed in above. Lets say, you have a bike with adjustable links that were not adjusted correctly and the front not adjusted correctly as well. What would you take into consideration if you were trying to even out the bike (or at least get it to your preferred heights)? Would you just top out the front forks and rear links and just adjust down each component evenly? Or would you use another standard to measure?

Make sure when you lower your front that you do it SLOWLY. I loosened the bolts on my forks and it slid down pretty quick. If the holes on the new rear links were only 1" futher apart then the stock then you only went down about 3/4" due to angle. You couldn't have gone down more than the space at any angle. The Gen mar riser you have is spendy , if you bought soupys front links for the fork they are just round aluminum shafts with new bolts . I would put them on and sell the gen mar block. You can call soupy for any info too he's a stand up guy.

That's a good read GsxrBots. It makes me even more scared to touch the darn thing lol. So I guess I gotta zero it out somehow and then lower it about 3/4" in the front.

That's a good read GsxrBots. It makes me even more scared to touch the darn thing lol. So I guess I gotta zero it out somehow and then lower it about 3/4" in the front.

Hoping someone else will chime in here, but shouldn't the forks be at the top "edge" of the top triple clamp in stock form? Then the triple plate clamp goes on top of that. So if you look inside the "holes" of the genmar riser that's on your bike now, and the forks are just flush with the triple clamp down there, you should be able to just raise the forks 3/4" from there. IF they aren't at the top of that clamp, then yes, you should find a way to start over. I'd be willing to bet they are flush right now, and the previous owner installed the Genmar to raise the bars, not raise the forks..

Back