Some Pics from my 9/11 ride to the World Trade Center

nychayabusa

Registered
First, I now realize how crappy my camera is. I had to dump like 90% of the pictures due to me shaking or them coming out too dark. :banghead: Can anyone recommend a good camera? In the meantime I picked out some that were just alright - sorry for the bad quality as in person everything was amazing (tribute in light is incredible)!

Description of pics..

1. Under Brooklyn Bridge by FDR drive.
2. Same
3. Same
4. Same
5. South Street Seaport
6. South Street Seaport
7. South Street Seaport
8. South Street Seaport
9. South Street Seaport
10. South Street Seaport
11. South Street Seaport
12. West Side Highway (Bulding fully lit is the new Goldman Sachs HQ.) 7 WTC is on the left behind the trees.
13. Same
14. Same
15. 1 WTC (Freedom tower)
16. Tribute in light (much brighter than in pics) you can see these lights 60 miles away!
17. Same
18. Same
19. Same

P1000482.jpg

P1000484.jpg

P1000485.jpg

P1000487.jpg

P1000488.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet lookin bike and also great pics. How is it riding around in New York? I guess its a dumb question but, I've never been there and always imagined the roads being filled with cars. Or is that more into the city?

Thanks for posting, I'm jealous!!! I'll be down there this weekend (by car, not bike). Had no idea they lit up the tribute in lights again, cant wait to see them!!!

One of my goals in life is to ride my Hayabusa through Manhattan....someday :beerchug:

Thanks for posting.. love the NY.. one day maybe i come and take photos like you.. with busa ? hm.. wishes wishes..:whistle:

cool pics. :thumbsup:

Riding in the city is tough, especially for a lowered bike (potholes, etc). You just have to be extra attentive with all of the cars and people around you. I work in the city, not once did I ever think of riding to work.

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I'd like to suggest that it appears the problem is not with the camera, but what you're asking it to do, and how you're asking it to do it.

Most of the photos you've posted were taken in low light conditions, or worse, at night. I believe you hand-held the camera for most of them, instead of using a tripod. There is one that turned out pretty nicely...the last one.

We're quick to look to the camera as the cause of the problem, but in reality, if you don't have good light no camera in the world is going to produce a great photo.

In an attempt to compensate for the lack of light, your camera is holding its shutter open longer to collect more light. The longer the shutter is held open, the more likely it is that the small motions you make while holding the camera will cause your subjects to blur.

So, in summary, based on the photos you've shared (again, thanks...ground zero is a great place to visit, but not all of us have been there), don't feel you need to run out and buy a new camera. Instead, when taking photographs in low light conditions:

Get a small tripod or find some place to set your camera on.

and/or

Get better light on your subjects.

Camera manufacturers know that to sell cameras, they need to market new "features" that make it "easier" for the average Joe to pick up their camera and take what the average Joe is going to consider a good photo. Camera manufacturers don't make money by teaching people how to actually take better photos with any camera.

Is the tribute in lights still on? I'll be down there on the 18th, but have a feeling it will be over by then. I did a search on it, but could only find articles about the 10,000 birds circling around the beams...

Back