Some good news and some bad news ...

OB_Animal

Registered
... as read in current issue of Germany's Motorrad magazine:

Their next issue will have a riding impression of the Yoshimura X-1 (guess they must've invited either Alan Cathcart or Roland Brown over for some good, free publicity and I can't see anything wrong with that).

Their long-termer Busa (they usually have more than one long-termer per year, do 50000 kilometers, just over 30000 miles, on them and then take it apart completely and measure everything inside the engine for wear and expected longevity and to check for any unwanted/unexpected nasty surprises) didn't quite make it to the end entirely.
Shortly before the 50000 kilometers mark (and even more shortly before the 30000 miles mark) their Busa destroyed its engine due to cam chain tensioner failure for the 2nd time and this time they decided to call it quits.
Seems a lot like Dazee's experience and they also supposedly had the 2nd generation tensioner in there after the 1st failure.
This was all that was mentioned in the current issue and I will stay on top of this if more details pop-up in next issue(s) and this normally happens with every sordid detail as Motorrad spares no manufacturer and even buys its own bikes anonymously from dealers directly most of the time.

I got my cam chain tensioner replaced. But I've noticed a 'ticking sound' at idle, that I never noticed before. Could this be the new tensioner making noise? Is there anyway to tell, by listening (or otherwise), as to whether or not your new tensioner is causing problems?

There is no way that a bike of this capacity should have engine problems that soon.

Has Suzuki recalled the recall tensioners yet, or is there even a problem with them?

the updated (recalled ) part for the tensioner is the same one on 2000
And at this point there is no plans to recall those.
But they are watching them

[This message has been edited by Johnnycheese (edited 16 June 2000).]

Johnnycheese, thanks for the info. I hope Suzuki keeps a close eye on this. Fuel filters are one thing, but engine meltdowns, not good...

Does Suzuki do a good job keeping all its dealers up to speed on the latest? I like my dealer but get the feeling that the guys on this board may know more about the Busa than some of the local wrenches.

Do you think the idle 'ticking' sound could be the tensioner? Is there an easy way to tell? (Sorry I'm not being more precise on the nature of the sound.)

I asked about extended warranty just before my warranty repairs were done. But I decided against it since I figured I'd be getting another bike in the next year or two. Will Suzuki stand behind the bike, if there is a cam chain problem, whether it is under warranty or not?

I really like the bikes Suzuki makes. I hope they are taking this issue real serious so I can keep buying Suzukis.

The warranty is worth the money you paid for it if something major happens.Even If I keep it only one more year it will be worth it for me.Peace of mind not to have to worry.
As far if the will cover it that is a different story but being you are north of the border different rules apply.
Having a dealer that knows is cool but most get notified by mail and mail does not go to the Service Dept. first.
I will post anything I see but so far nothing.I have the same startup tick that you discribed pulled tensioner and checked works fine reinstalled.

Instead of the hundreds of dollars for the warranty get a manual chain tensioner from Schnitz or anyone else for under $70 and your problems are gone. You will have to adjust it but it is easy to do.

Don
Roaddog

CanuckBusa:

Take your fairings off, take a long handled screwdriver, stick the big end in your ear and touch the pointy end to the engine. Try to narrow down where the noise is coming from. Cam chain runs up the right side of the engine. These little noises always freak me out too, but I'm an anal retentive accountant. If you just can't tell, take your bike to your dealer, should cost you little or nothing for someone to listen to it.

Snag

[This message has been edited by Snag (edited 16 June 2000).]

JC

What about the mod that Bigabusa was talking about??

Wasn't there some concern over the manual chain tensioner??

I too got that ticking noise, had it right from new. Dealer says nothing to worry about. Got him to put it in writing that I came in concerned about a noise from top RHS of engine. Think that should cover me!

Thanks for the Info

SS

Nutty and Hot today

If you plan to keep her then spend the $200 bucks for the X-tended warranty. Its only a little more than a rear tire!

There is a special proceedure to install and then to get adjusting it if you are not familar with that have a pro do it.
I would spend the money on the warranty unless you have a big motor.
If you have an Extended and put it in you are SOL

Two hundred for an extended warranty sounds too good to be true.I'd like to know also.They ain't going for that in the Houston area.Please let us know so we can maybe get them to compete with that price.

I believe that at manual tensioner will snap cam chains in the long term, especially if the back torque limiter is locked up in the clutch. all I can say is keep a close eye on the chain. My busa's chain had a broken plate after just 6 drag meetings and some speed events. this was with a stock tensioner and locked up clutch. I don't have an answer but I know the car championship 'busa's I talked about before have a new spring inside the revised OE tensioner and beleive that they have cured all.

Back