So why have so many busas been dropped?

Slowstang305

Registered
I have been checking out a few busa's so far. I went and looked at a 2013 yesterday with 10400 miles on it. Clean as a whistle until I looked to the bottom of the right side fairing and it has a 2 in crack and a bunch of marks all over. Looked like the bike fell at slow speeds. Question is, why are so many of them like this? Are they difficult to control at slow speeds? Does the stand suck?

I have been checking out a few busa's so far. I went and looked at a 2013 yesterday with 10400 miles on it. Clean as a whistle until I looked to the bottom of the right side fairing and it has a 2 in crack and a bunch of marks all over. Looked like the bike fell at slow speeds. Question is, why are so many of them like this? Are they difficult to control at slow speeds? Does the stand suck?

Supposedly the stand is a fault to the Busa. My guess is they didnt have a gremlin bell.

Stands like to fold forward if you're not careful, leave it in 1st, roll slack out, turn and lock bars and it's good.
There is a mod to help the stand swing forward more too(paging Red for video).
And, there's always the Busa hype, people buy them because they want one, but aren't prepared for what they're getting.
Busa's are big and heavy, and are suprisingly easy to manuver, even at slow speeds, but, it can still be a little much to those who are inexperienced.

Stands like to fold forward if you're not careful, leave it in 1st, roll slack out, turn and lock bars and it's good.
And, there's always the Busa hype, people buy them because they want one, but aren't prepared for what they're getting.
Busa's are big and heavy, and are suprisingly easy to manuver, even at slow speeds, but, it can still be a little much to those who are inexperienced.

You got that right, even with experience, the busa sometimes surprises you on a 1-2 mph turn and you have to think quick to catch it. Lol

...the real question is why are so many bikes dropped...they are all easy to fall over from many reasons-loose stuff on the road, rolling off sidestand, wind, cars, etc, etc, etc...

It is not a condition solely related to a Hayabusa.

That’s my procedure when I park as well and have never had an issue. I did do the kickstand mod a few months ago, but it was never an issue.

Good info, thanks guys.

Yellow09,
Thats true but for some reason a lot of the busas all have busted fairings. I figure they are tall and heavy and shorter riders have issues coming to a full stop or the kickstand just sucks. I only owned cruisers with V twin so the weight being low keeps them very stable.

In my area, seems like the ones for sale cheap are listed by fairly new riders. This is the way I interprete a busa sale ad:
Listing says: Don’t ride much anymore. Has scratches on left side form parking lot tip over. This bike is NOT for new riders.
What they mean: I’m affraid to ride this bike, so want it gone. I dropped it in a parking lot, because my knees were shaking/too weak after having a near death experience when I opened the throttle and realized this was not the scooter I traded in for it. :laugh:

A lot of guys buy the aftermarket upper trees that cause the brake lever to interfere with the dash fairing, making slow left hand turns very dangerous.

The damage on mine came from the previous owner backing out of his driveway and misjudged the curb. Rash at best. Didnt crack anything.

LOTS OF GUYS DROP THEM TRYING TO GET THEM UP ON STANDS. There, I said it. Too many people don't know how or where to grab the bike to control it when lifting it on to stands and they end up dropping it... also, lots of bikes get dropped just moving them around. The stand buckles a little and they don't check it before setting it back down, next thing you know, she's on her side.

LOTS OF GUYS DROP THEM TRYING TO GET THEM UP ON STANDS. There, I said it. Too many people don't know how or where to grab the bike to control it when lifting it on to stands and they end up dropping it... also, lots of bikes get dropped just moving them around. The stand buckles a little and they don't check it before setting it back down, next thing you know, she's on her side.

I take the hump off and grab the brace inside to ‘balance’ it while lifting onto the rear stand. Gives me much more confidence and control of the bike.

SQUID.....

Plain and simple!!! There’s a ton of squids out there who have ridden little 500 of 650 ninjas that have more $$$ than they do brain cells or motorcycle experience.

Honestly I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen someone drop a bike exactly like this. They are either physically weak or 5ft nothing tall and they can barely tip toe on it. Or it’s usually a combination of both...... Now they got away with it on their light @ss beginner bike but a bike the size of Busa or heavier gets em EVERYTIME. 1st time they encounter gravel or uneven pavement it’s a wrap. Dude in the video stalled it and is probably short so he couldn’t get his footing underneath and hold the bike up with core/upper body strength

When I was down the Dragon I seen a slow mo drop exactly like that. We had just reached the top of the Dragon and pulled off on the right side in the parking lot to wait for the rest of our group. Then comes this chick screaming up the Dragon on a brand new Doocati Monster. She’s decked out in all brand new Daienese leathers and Custom AGV helmet. I could tell bye her body position she was extremely short. Either way I guess she wanted to impress the group of Harley guys looking @ her so she speeds past to the far end of the parking lot and comes to a stop. She attempts to balance the bike on 1 leg and swing then other over to dismount but the brand new leathers coupled with her short stature prohibit her from doing so. She fought falling over with the for what seemed like forever!!! Eventually she gave up and fell the last couple inches from the ground :D

Embarrassed she tried to jump right up and grab her Doocati but she was physically unable to pick it up more than a foot or so. Naturally we walked over and helped her lift up her small naked ultra light sportbike. IMO if you physically cant pick your bike up you got no business riding it

Last edited:
When mine dropped, it was because as I wheeled it out of garage, the side stand would ever so slightly move back without me noticing, then I set it on the side stand start to walk away, bam on the ground. Now I check and double check that the stand is all forward before letting go.

Mine tipped over on me. Luckily very minor damage. Scratched the left cover and muffler. A 1 mph oops. Once she starts going she's a heavy beast to save. I have found a firm hand is required. When you are going then go. When you are stopping. Stop. It's not a trials bike nor are the pegs in the best place to get your foot guickly to the ground.

Back