So, What Did You Do Today? ---

lol, chickens
It's all in your head.
...he has 2 safety hooks, he's secure at all times. The hard part is physically climbing 1500'

To the contrary, there is a youtube video(I"ll add link later) of a guy climbing a cell tower taller than that.
Only, he free climbs the last 30', and stands on the top when he gets there...with no harness!!!

I have several friends who are Linemen.
They cross paths with tower climbers occasionally.
One of the tower workers told them that a co-worker slipped at around 1800'.
He didn't fall, as one safety is always attached. But, he when he slipped, his leg somehow got tangled and twisted on a rung.
His leg broke.
It took 2 climbers over 8 hours to get him to the ground. Not including the time it took them to climb up and get him.
To all of us who've had broken bones and bad injuries...you know that sucked.

I can't load the Youtube link on my phone.
Search "cell tower climbers"
Should be first video, it's called "stairway to heaven".
Would I climb it? Yeah.
Would I free climb and stand on top with no safety? Lol, not without a parachute!
Then you hope the canopy doesn't hang the tower!
Maybe a wingsuit then?
Hmmm. Makes me glad I'm a responsible grown up, married with a daughter, and I don't take risks anymore....hahahaha!

My legs would be too shaky from fear right about the 200ft mark. Lol! I wear double lanyard harnesses and climb on metal structures that are about 150ft regularly, but no way would I want to climb any higher than that. Specially without protection. Even with a harness, it would hurt like hell, not to mentioned the fact that if you don't have the little "standing straps" and are still concious (don't smack your head on something)to hook your feet through and stand on them, the lack of blood flow to legs from harness cutting circulation would make the blood toxic. At least that's what they tell you during training.

My legs would be too shaky from fear right about the 200ft mark. Lol! I wear double lanyard harnesses and climb on metal structures that are about 150ft regularly, but no way would I want to climb any higher than that. Specially without protection. Even with a harness, it would hurt like hell, not to mentioned the fact that if you don't have the little "standing straps" and are still concious (don't smack your head on something)to hook your feet through and stand on them, the lack of blood flow to legs from harness cutting circulation would make the blood toxic. At least that's what they tell you during training.

Lol!
So, 150' is ok...but anything else is too dangerous! Hahaha
I think after the first couple stories, 20' or so, the sudden stop after the fall usually kills you anyway...so go on up higher, you're good!
I've bungee jumped from 150', and aside from a longer free fall, I don't think going any higher makes any difference...you just have more time to think as you fall.

Lol!
So, 150' is ok...but anything else is too dangerous! Hahaha
I think after the first couple stories, 20' or so, the sudden stop after the fall usually kills you anyway...so go on up higher, you're good!
I've bungee jumped from 150', and aside from a longer free fall, I don't think going any higher makes any difference...you just have more time to think as you fall.
Lol! I'm not saying is more or less dangerous, just that my knees would be like jelly if I looked down while being up any higher than that. As for bungee jumping, I haven't tried it and have no desire to. Girls that have been with me freak out when they see the rush it is to fly down the road on a busa, but laugh at me at the same time as they know I won't get on a roller coaster or do any other "adrenaline triggering" activity.

Lol! I'm not saying is more or less dangerous, just that my knees would be like jelly if I looked down while being up any higher than that. As for bungee jumping, I haven't tried it and have no desire to. Girls that have been with me freak out when they see the rush it is to fly down the road on a busa, but laugh at me at the same time as they know I won't get on a roller coaster or do any other "adrenaline triggering" activity.

I know man, we all have our thing.
Me, I Hate needles!
I would literally rather hacksaw my forearm and bleed in a bucket than get stuck...really.
Especially to see them take 3 viles of blood, put a test stick in one, use as much blood as they could've gotten from a finger prick, and then throw all 3 viles away. Wtf!?
Roller coasters, the speed is great, heights are fine, but the older I get the more I hate free fall. I can't breathe til my guts drop back out of my throat.
But, not being bothered at 150' in the air, but not liking anything higher, I haven't heard of that one before.
You're actually braver than most anyone who doesn't like heights.

I know man, we all have our thing.
Me, I Hate needles!
I would literally rather hacksaw my forearm and bleed in a bucket than get stuck...really.
Especially to see them take 3 viles of blood, put a test stick in one, use as much blood as they could've gotten from a finger prick, and then throw all 3 viles away. Wtf!?
Roller coasters, the speed is great, heights are fine, but the older I get the more I hate free fall. I can't breathe til my guts drop back out of my throat.
But, not being bothered at 150' in the air, but not liking anything higher, I haven't heard of that one before.
You're actually braver than most anyone who doesn't like heights.
Yeap! I know it sounds weird. Believe it or not, before starting this job, I couldn't even look down from a second floor balcony without my knees getting shaky. The first time I had to climb up at work, I got so sick that I just dropped on the platform (the floor is just grating so you can look straight down), held on to and I-beam, closed my eyes and kept telling myself: "dude, man up and get your ass up. This is a good job, don't let your fear screw it up! I'm glad nobody saw me and after several months I got better at dealing with heights. Who knows, maybe if I climbed one of these towers like in the video, I would handle it a lot better than I think, but I'm in no rush to test that out. Lol!
As for needles, I hated them too, but I worked on it and I'm over that now. I still hate when the dentist stabs me in the gum, but not because of fear, only because it hurts like hell.

Right on
I learned to deal with needles years ago, but still hate them.
I can humbley and honestly say I have no fear.
Hearing how you went from what sounds like sheer terror, to working at 150' with no problems, that sir is impressive.
Much respect to you! So few of us deal with and overcome our fears.
Sounds like you really do need to go higher!
Or at least try a roller coaster!

Back