So, the stores in CO sold out by noon

What about my right/choice/privilege to choose if I wish to wear a seat belt or a helmet?

I believe in the safety and comfort of both, but it should still be a choice.

I think the difference may be what we knew as choices at one time that has been removed from our grasp, and what may now be given as choices that we never knew before.

If someone threatens my right to bear arms, that's going to make me pretty mad...I grew up with that right and it is a way of life. If we never had that right and then one day they say you can now own and carry firearms, someone else is going to be pretty upset because they grew up with the way up life thinking the world is safer without a pistol in their neighbors hands.

Trying to figure out how that works and what that means?

In other words, what will the Fed do, go into CO and arrest folks, or do nothing?

It means the Feds won't do crap. They have already said they won't meddle in State's affairs. Kind of like Prostitution in Nv.

Co. is just the beginning. I think in the next 10 years most states will go by way of Co. But the point is, they have an additional tax revenue that will pour in. I don't touch the stuff myself, but I think it should be legalized.

To equate smoking pot with our 2nd amendment right to bear arms (and protect the nation against a tryannical government) is not even close to an equal argument. I think Cap kinda hits the spot - there are consequences, and unfortunately, people are no longer held accountable for them - the rest of us are, somehow. You wanna smoke pot in your house, fine, but don't come make me smell it/expose me in public, don't drive, don't become a burden on society - fine - but we all know that's impossible. I am for nipping it in the bud (figuratively, but what a play on words) because I can see the unintended consequences that society will bear. Do I have pot smokers currently on my workforce? Quite possibly, but I'd fire their ass if I caught them...

As an employer, I am financially and legally liable/responsible for just about EVERYTHING my employees do while on the job..it used to not be that way, but of course, personal accountabillity has complete been removed from the workplace (man, could I tell stories). While I can usually spot a drunk, now I'm going to have to spot a toker? Is the same legal system that is going to allow this, absolve me of the liability? Not gonna happen. The lawsuits when someone gets fired for something that's now legal? How am I supposed to get production from an employer who spends all day at the snack machine?

Let's really face it: This is NOT about 'freedom' - this is about the ability to TAX. This is not about "MEDICAL use" - this is about a path to GENERAL use. I was listening to my local radio talk show this morning (conservative of course), and it sounded like NORML was supplying all the callers - they used every line in the NORML playbook, but none of them thought about the consequences.

Yes, I've HEARD (since, for full disclosure, I've NEVER tried it) that pot makes you happy happy happy...have you ever thought that the government keeping everybody "happy" is just another way to control you?

My Dad always has said, "If you are doing what everyone else is doing, you are probably doing it wrong too" is totally correct....We are living in the age of Moral Relativism - and it's going to destroy us.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the Army at Fort Carson, or the Air Force at CO Springs...the Armed Forces will have to ABSOLUTELY continue to enforce the ban and it's going to cause all kinds of trouble..

Saiid, the "$500/oz." was from a news story yesterday....

I like less gov't dictating what adults can do to and for themselves, if it's legal and if it's not hurting others. We can go around and around about what drugs lead to, but I can also list the exact same consequences for other vices that are legal and have been for decades. Accountability is exactly right, but that's nothing new - you opt to go drink at a bar and drive home, or host a party at your house and offer friends a mixed drink. Our free will gets in the way and that can cause harm, but that can't be controlled by anyone, like speeding on a Busa and causing a crash. Look at what prohibition did to this country - stronger booze (moonshine) as well as a ton of illegal activities/murder surrounding the desire to have alcohol. Look at the drug war - we are losing. Crystal meth is cheap/easy and the crap on the streets is only getting more lethal because addicts want it and opportunistic dealers are cutting in anything to make more profit, even if it kills. Does anyone here think for one moment legalizing marijuana will stop an addict from becoming an addict? Drug users, just like alcoholics, get what they want, illegal or not, period. Criminals get guns, whether we like it or not.

There exists a segment of the population that is responsible and would like the option to purchase and use marijuana legally, whether it's to treat the pain from cancer or other medical problems, or for recreation. It's no different than going out to buy a bottle of rum. Sure, there will be abuse, but that exists right now with alcohol and prescription meds and there's very little you can do to ever stop that, just like you'll never stop a criminal from stealing a gun and using it in a crime. I think being educated about decisions you make is key, so I know if I'm out drinking, I don't drive. I also know if marijuana is ever legal here in Virginia and it would potentially affect my job should I use it, I'd make the very rational decision to NOT smoke it, because I'm an educated adult that wants to keep her job. I'd still applaud the fact that others might be afforded the opportunity to enjoy smoking if that's what they'd like to do, and I sure as hell support the use of it for those going through cancer treatment. When my Dad was in pain 24/7 for months on end with cancer taking over, I talked to him about this very subject. He was someone that could have suffered less had the laws not been on the books denying an adult the right to smoke it in his own home to gain some relief over popping pills that caused a myriad of other issues he couldn't cope with.

I started talking to my two sons about the dangers of drugs and alcohol when they were both ages 6 & 8, and I've told them repeatedly stories of friends and family I've lost to both alcohol and drug related accidents. I want them to be educated too; just because I want the right for adults to make decisions for themselves does not mean for a single I'm lackadaisical when it comes to raising my children to understand the dangers of things in this world. Common sense people - I think most that are against the legalization of marijuana have incorrectly profiled every proponent of reformation of the laws as lazy potheads that don't work, that don't care for their children, that don't give a crap about anything around them and that's a shame because that's not always the truth. Many proponents are highly educated and highly motivated people that contribute to society. They are your doctors, your professors, your programmers and your entrepreneurs, they may sit right next to you in church on Sunday, whether you want to hear it or not...

What I see skydivr, in most anti-anything posts here, is a moral, religious, ethical difference in opinion. That's where you and I differ - I'm a gun carrying American citizen, and I think if a rider wants to NOT wear a helmet, so be it, yet not every state agrees, and if an adult doesn't want to wear a seatbelt, then why do the laws exist? We are such a contradiction of rules in this country, it makes your head spin, and I go right back to what I initially said about speeding on your Busa, a completely illegal act, that everyone here has no doubt done, but refuses to own up to, right? Illegal is illegal, but who are YOU to determine what someone can do in their own home, especially if it's been deemed legal and if they're not causing any harm to you? I'm all for gun ownership, but the gov't wants to tell you what kind you can have? Is that OK? The slippery slope exists for us all, and in the end, all I argue is that rational adults should be able to make their own damn decisions, period...you will never weed out the abuse or the crazies in any of these scenarios, that's why we have issues with guns, with drugs, with alcohol, with prescription meds, the list is never-ending...

I'd fight for your right to do what you want if you're causing no harm to others; that's the difference between the two sides right now...

Many proponents are highly educated and highly motivated people that contribute to society. They are your doctors, your professors, your programmers and your entrepreneurs, they may sit right next to you in church on Sunday, whether you want to hear it or not...

Education, profession and Values are three different things. Values are taught from birth and by 12 years old they are 95% established. It is hard to re-write this software. So, in short an uneducated person may well have values preventing molestation, theft, drugs, where as a Professor/Doctor may be the absolute opposite.

Some of Oregon's values in this linky Smokers beware: Smoking in a car with children present can cost you $500 | OregonLive.com

The way I look at wearing a helmet, or a seat-belt is different. A drivers licence is a privilege, not my right. It is given to me on the condition that I follow the rules from whom it was issued and I respect this privilege.

What are the unintended consequences? You think people just started smoking weed or something LOL.

• What it does is basically wipe out any weed dealers, why buy illegally when you can buy it legally
  • It saves the State the millions of dollars it was spending trying to fight something people were never going to stop doing,
  • It stops the incarceration of people for something as simple as weed, saving the State and tax payers more money by not having to feed another inmate.
  • It reduces prison population, fixing over crowding and mixing the yuppie or non violent with the hard core criminals
  • With the taxes on the buyers, sellers and growers the State is estimated to make billions which in turn is funneled back into the State and local resources.

Also where did the correlation between welfare and drugs come from? Why is that people keep making this connection that someone receiving benefits has to be a drug user?

Didn't that whole drug testing thing backfire, (I think it was Florida) because prior to the courts determining it was not legal, they found that it cost more money to administer the test than not paying benefits to the 2% of people that tested positive.

It was also determined by the state Department of Human Services (DHS) that participants in State welfare programs for low-income families are actually far less likely to have felony drug convictions and use than the adult population as a whole.

actions have consequences...

If religion is a reaction of man, and nothing more, it seems to me that it represents a human desire for wrongdoers to be punished. I hate the idea of Idi Amin living in Saudi Arabia for the last 25 years of his life. That galls me to no end. I feel some sort of need for Biblical atonement, or justice, or something. I like to believe there is some comeuppance, that karma kicks in at some point, even if it takes years or decades to happen. My girlfriend says this great thing that's become my philosophy as well. 'I want to believe there's a heaven. But I can't not believe there's a hell.'

What makes a man 'bad' – his actions, his motives, or his conscious decision to be a bad person? goodness and badness are simply complicated choices, no different than anything else.

For the record, marijuana is not addictive, it is habit forming(go ahead, do the research).
There is a difference.
The human body does not become chemically dependent on weed, where as it does with cocaine/crack, heroin, meth, and prescription narcotics. Yet, weed is a class one "drug" just like the rest of them. Weed has no simularities to any of them.
It is not the terrible danger to society it's made out to be.
Will I raise my daughter that it's ok to smoke weed? No.
Why? Because just like alcohol it does you no good when you are in high school/college, and at an impressionable age when your focus needs to be elsewhere.
After she has gotten her life together as an adult and has a positive direction, it will be her adult choice to smoke weed or drink, or to not do so.
Neither is bad...in moderation. Drink a few beers/drinks and don't drive or cause anyone any problems, and that's fine. Be a drunk, or worse an angry drunk, or alcoholic, and there's a problem.
Smoke weed and be normal/productive in life and don't bother anyone else in the process, and that's fine. Become a burnout and smoke weed constantly, and do nothing else, then you are wasting your life.
Who is to say who will become an alcoholic after their 1st drink? Who knows, but that's life. Prohibition didn't work either did it?
I also love how people think because someone is a graduate or has a fancy title or big job that means they don't smoke weed. HA!
If you only knew. It's an individuals personal choice, and education, intelligence, title, job, status, finances, has Nothing to do with it.
More uninformed Opinions. Laws don't need to be based on Opinion.
As it's been stated already, the people that smoke weed do it anyway, whether it's legal or not. And you'de all be shocked to find out that it's someone YOU know that you never would have expected. When that happens, please look down your nose at them, lose all respect for them, and immediately consider them the scum of society...and simply because you dislike one of their habits that society has led you to belive is terrible.

For the record, marijuana is not addictive, it is habit forming(go ahead, do the research).
There is a difference.
The human body does not become chemically dependent on weed, where as it does with cocaine/crack, heroin, meth, and prescription narcotics. Yet, weed is a class one "drug" just like the rest of them. Weed has no simularities to any of them.
It is not the terrible danger to society it's made out to be.
Will I raise my daughter that it's ok to smoke weed? No.
Why? Because just like alcohol it does you no good when you are in high school/college, and at an impressionable age when your focus needs to be elsewhere.
After she has gotten her life together as an adult and has a positive direction, it will be her adult choice to smoke weed or drink, or to not do so.
Neither is bad...in moderation. Drink a few beers/drinks and don't drive or cause anyone any problems, and that's fine. Be a drunk, or worse an angry drunk, or alcoholic, and there's a problem.
Smoke weed and be normal/productive in life and don't bother anyone else in the process, and that's fine. Become a burnout and smoke weed constantly, and do nothing else, then you are wasting your life.
Who is to say who will become an alcoholic after their 1st drink? Who knows, but that's life. Prohibition didn't work either did it?
I also love how people think because someone is a graduate or has a fancy title or big job that means they don't smoke weed. HA!
If you only knew. It's an individuals personal choice, and education, intelligence, title, job, status, finances, has Nothing to do with it.
More uninformed Opinions. Laws don't need to be based on Opinion.
As it's been stated already, the people that smoke weed do it anyway, whether it's legal or not. And you'de all be shocked to find out that it's someone YOU know that you never would have expected. When that happens, please look down your nose at them, lose all respect for them, and immediately consider them the scum of society...and simply because you dislike one of their habits that society has led you to belive is terrible.

Completely agree with this statement.

I've been smoking pot since I was 14. I've raised 2 children while smoking daily in the same house, they've known since they were old enough to comprehend it. They grew up with it, neither of my kids have turned out to smoke cigarettes or pot. My wife has cancer and I'm sure she would be bed ridden or dead without her medicine. Personally, I just like to smoke, I like the relaxing, pain relieving, mind numbing feeling I get. Whether it's for work relief or pure recreational, I'm gonna do what I want with my life and pot makes it better. From my point of view, I'm still astounded by the naivety of some people. According to skydivr, somebody in my family should've progressed to smoking meth or crack by now.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the Army at Fort Carson, or the Air Force at CO Springs...the Armed Forces will have to ABSOLUTELY continue to enforce the ban and it's going to cause all kinds of trouble..

Not going to be interesting at all, zero tolerance... The military will not change their stance of drugs in any way, shape or form even if use is legal in the state the military member is visiting or stationed.

As a matter of fact, with the new budget constraints and aggressive "Force Structuring" (downsizing) going on, it would be even less of an issue. The offender would be shown the door in record time.

Trying to figure out how that works and what that means?

In other words, what will the Fed do, go into CO and arrest folks, or do nothing?

This administration isn't going into CO to pop dopers, while smoking a fatty in the oval office :laugh:

Education, profession and Values are three different things. Values are taught from birth and by 12 years old they are 95% established. It is hard to re-write this software. So, in short an uneducated person may well have values preventing molestation, theft, drugs, where as a Professor/Doctor may be the absolute opposite.

Some of Oregon's values in this linky Smokers beware: Smoking in a car with children present can cost you $500 | OregonLive.com

The way I look at wearing a helmet, or a seat-belt is different. A drivers licence is a privilege, not my right. It is given to me on the condition that I follow the rules from whom it was issued and I respect this privilege.

IMHO, the only laws that should exist in relation to helmets, seatbelts, smoking, etc should be those there to protect children...they need mechanisms in place to protect them from things they have no say in, and that includes the irresponsible parent that smokes in the home with kids.

It wasn't that long ago that our very own gov't was hinting around at restricting sport bikes because the race for the fastest between Suzuki and Honda was a heated and deadly one. That heat stopped when the top two opted to self-regulate or risk a worse fate at the hands of the gov't wheel. No one here wants the gov't to mandate your choice to be a responsible rider, right? No one wants the gov't to tell the people they can't own assault rifles either, or that booze are bad for you even if they are. It can all be detrimental, but for the informed and responsible citizen, why in the hell not allow the decision to be theirs if they are causing no harm to others?

What I see is the inability of some to see big picture here...this isn't just about the right to legally buy marijuana, it's about just how ridiculous gov't control is in relation to some things, and that the slippery slope exists. I'm one to want to stop the slippery slope - I am a non-smoker, never like being around it, am ok with all of the rules now in place for public places and the rights of non-smokers, for protecting children in their own homes, but if the gov't bans smoking and tells Joe Public, single guy, lives in his own home, has his own car, that he can't smoke in his home or car - that's the slope. If we allow that guy to lose his right, what's next? He's a grown man, capable of choosing to smoke in the privacy of his home, but there are plenty that want his right removed. To what end?

There's not a single argument that can be made against marijuana being legalized that shouldn't also be applied to alcohol, IMHO...one is legal all over, one is not...why is that? I would actually argue that alcohol is more dangerous than weed, as would many, but my point still remains - why do so many of you need the gov't to protect you? And from what?

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

From reading all of this thread i see the smokers who have or do smoke say make it legal. I see the non or never smoked it saying keep it illegal. hmmmmm

From reading all of this thread i see the smokers who have or do smoke say make it legal. I see the non or never smoked it saying keep it illegal. hmmmmm

Not true in my case...I don't partake because it's illegal, but if it's ever legal and not a risk to my job, I'd like the right...

You can't just assume...you'd be incorrect :)

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

IMHO, the only laws that should exist in relation to helmets, seatbelts, smoking, etc should be those there to protect children...they need mechanisms in place to protect them from things they have no say in, and that includes the irresponsible parent that smokes in the home with kids.

I totally agree with this and for the record I've always had a indoor garden/smoke room to keep things healthy. I Grow a variety of fruits and vegetables hydroponically in a carbon filtered room, which with the filtration doubles as our smoke room. When going on a road trip with the kids though, nothing to do except roll down the window ;).

I totally agree with this and for the record I've always had a indoor garden/smoke room to keep things healthy. I Grow a variety of fruits and vegetables hydroponically in a carbon filtered room, which with the filtration doubles as our smoke room. When going on a road trip with the kids though, nothing to do except roll down the window ;).

I grew up with a Dad that smoked, but he never ever smoked in the house until my sister and I had moved out, and even when we'd visit, he'd step outside to smoke on his porch. The rights of others like my Dad always play in my mind. He wasn't inconsiderate, but he was surrounded by others that started to think they knew what was best for him, led by the good old US gov't :banghead:

It's sad to watch someone's rights be stripped away when they never did anything to infringe on anyone else's to begin with, and I applaud you for doing the same :thumbsup:

I will add, he didn't smoke in the car with us either :whistle:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Back