So maybe its just me / my ride style, but...

now I'm not really crazy enough to be doing highway wheelies, but I sure am wondering why I can't do it
?? not crazy enough to do it but wondering why you cant? maybe the question answered itself? :laugh:

last thing I would want to do is learn to wheelie at 120mph... :rofl:

The ONLY time ive wheelied mine is at the dragstrip. On a really agressive launch,leaving @ 8000 rpms. If everything goes right it pulls it up about 1' I hit 2nd and it'll put the front back down and just take off and the maybe at the top of 2nd it mite do it again. By then im near 1/2 track and hitting 3rd at 110+ mph. I dont wanna wheelie going that fast. I maybe a little crazzzyyy , but I aint stupid. As stated B4 atwotg and enjoy the ride and be safe on the street.:thumbsup:

Don't get excited about your busa not lifting the front tire in 3rd gear. I've been riding on one wheel longer than some of the members have been alive and I can't get it up in 3rd. If anyone can get their stock busa up in 3rd, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Actually, you have to clutch the crap out of it to get a stock busa up in second or give it so much body english it yanks your arms out of socket. The Gen. I certainly won't do it on power alone. I've not played with the Gen II with stock gearing but I don't think it will either.

I'm not sure why you would even consider trying to wheelie in 3rd gear? If you don't already know how to wheelie you certainly have no business learning in triple digits! When things go wrong at 3rd gear speed, you are,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, you get the picture!

My wheel comes up in 3rd when my tire is hot and I am high in the rpm's shifting from 2nd to 3rd and hard on the gas. I am 240 without my leathers on.

Add a turbo and it will be un-avoidable.:laugh: I see people bouning the bike a bit before they wheely. Of course a lot of theose videos end up with the bike on the ground or a cop right behind them, or both.

?? not crazy enough to do it but wondering why you cant? maybe the question answered itself? :laugh:

last thing I would want to do is learn to wheelie at 120mph... :rofl:

145 speedo :whistle:

138 trap speed @ vertical :whistle::whistle:

As tough said...it's extremely hard to come up in 3rd~!~ If I go out and try it today, it'll never happen...but if you're at a place you can ride hard (legally and not worry so much about the drawbacks of a mistake) you'd be quite surprised at how much power you can draw out of that motor~!~

I'd clutch and click it anytime though...the 138 was in 4th gear at Bristol

Last edited:
When you get good enough...try this :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
all of this welcoming lol..

i've been on these forums for about 4 months now, reading, watching, learning, more and more about the busa.

no. no. and NO. im not the crazy kid that wants to go do wheelies all day, all I'm saying is I know that i can't get mine up in 3rd, whereas i see others can quite easily.
If me learning new techniques to further my riding skill, be it quick turning, knee dragging, wheelies or anything else, is a negative, I don't see how...

I cant help but notice alot of posts for youtube vid's or anything else of people popping busa's up. I love my bike and take care of it, just curious as to how they do it.

well, you know what they say. Curiosity got the cat flamed by other cats on the forums. :laugh:

Last edited:
I don't understand the flaming either and I guarantee you that there isn't one person on this forum that does not break the law or do something unsafe in one form or another. We did not buy the fastest bike on the planet to have it sit and look pretty in our garages.

regardless thanks for the advice- last time i shifted mid wheelie was when i was practicing on a 230 CRF honda dirtbike.. wound up on my a$$ in an instant and passed out lol..

I've wheelied about 3 times, all in first gear, all safely with no one around. Have tried to get it off the ground in second or third, but its more of me willing it than it ever even happening lol.. just was wondering why I couldnt get mine to.

The bike has power- and quote that, its the statement of the moronic and idiotic century. I know how dangerous they are.. best thing to do is fear the bike, because as soon as you stop fearing,,,,,,,,,,,
ker splat.

Regardless thanks for the wisdom, quite helpful

btw, the technique I use for any sort is to quickly draw out the clutch, not let it fly out, just let go rapidly with my hand still on it, while at anywhere from 8-11k. pops up real easy, and I typically can hold it for, oh, 3 seconds TOPS before I put it back down.. as soon as it starts to go back down I hop back on the throttle a bit to save my front shocks, so I'm not abusing it too badly.

learned all of this from practicing a LOT on dirtbikes.

have never even considered mid wheelie gear change, and I have yet to figure out how to hold a wheelie for a long time.. I haven't learned about standing on the rear pegs yet.. too bad dirtbikes dont come with them..

Last edited:
Come up here to a mile high elevation and 2nd gear power wheelies don't exist. :whistle:

welcome, sorry your getting flamed. Wheelies and Busa's = not good.
Not really a wheelie crowd here. Hopefully you do not plan on using the Busa for wheelies.
Nothing personal. Forget the third gear wheelies.

Mine just loves to wheelie, but in second gear, and it works better if Marie is on the back, she loves wheelies. :thumbsup:

The gearing change will help with the torque. I went up two in the rear and now second gear is pretty easy to wheelie. I must agree, I have friend's that are on 1000's that can shift into third on one wheel, but they don't power them up there either. I wouldn't try it in third as second gear ends up pretty fast at the top of the rpm range, It's fast enough for me. I really don't know if it would clutch up in third, but it can't be good for the bike. Anyway, good luck and have fun trying.

Yep high elevation is a real fun killer when it comes to hp. You lose 3% of your hp for every 1000ft up, so at a mile up you're losing over 15% :banghead: And you feel it bigtime...

Makes a huge difference...when we run at Bristol (higher in elevation) it is considered a 1/10th mph slower track than down here~!~

Back