So I sold my dream car...

Slowstang305

Registered
As some of you may know it was a lifelong dream for me to own a Dodge Viper! As a kid I grew up fantasizing about the car and told myself ONE DAY I will own one. Years later... many many years later I had made the dream a reality. When I was 21 years old my GF at the time picked up a Dodge Viper license plate for me that said "Porsches for breakfast, ferraris for lunch" with two VIPER logos on the top corners. I said one day I will have a car to put them on! I kept the license plate and still have it with me today.

I had the Viper for a total of 7 months and put 10k miles in that time. I drove it to GA and all around FL. I met the local Viper club who were absolutely amazing! Really passionate people who love their cars and know everything about them. I think they are a lot like this forum, a lot of people here are what I call TRUE Hayabusa enthusiasts.

Why did I sell the Viper?
To be 100% honest with everyone, I used to own a 640WHP Corvette. That car was a ROCKET! Then I purchased a Hayabusa and I realized the Hayabusa is a ROCKET (Gen 2 only, we don't care about gen 1's hehehehehehe). The viper while fairly light comes with 500hp/500tq and is pretty well balanced. For some reason, it no longer felt fast to me because like all things speed is relative. The inside cabin of the car would get insanely hot even with aftermarket exhaust. I would have to run the air conditioner at full blast to keep up with the exhaust heat from just cruising on the highway. I felt claustrophobic because interior space was very limited for someone who is 6'3. I had the lowering seat kit installed as well which helped, but did not help with the feeling that you were inside of a Miata. Tires were VERY expensive because only two tires exist for the rear of this car ($2000). The power window regulators are a known failure in these cars and mine had always made a creaking noise so I knew one day it will break, $1000. The scarcity for parts was really troublesome. For the older gen Vipers ac condensers are no longer produced and used working examples are hard to comeby unless you spend $2500 or so. The T56 transmission was of older design and very clunky and so was the rear diff. You can tell the car was not built in this decade but maybe its what made it so special. I also did not have garage space to keep the car inside. I thought about all of those things and made the move to sell the car. It was picked up by a dealership and resold shortly after for a marginal profit. It was a short 7 months but I feel like I got it out of my system. It was a really cool car and attracted a lot of attention and would make a great weekend toy that comes out once a month but for a daily driver it was not entirely livable. I will miss it sure, but I miss every car I have ever owned.

The Corvette world gets a lot of hate from Dodge Viper owners because many believe that the V10 is superior in every way. I think both the GM and Dodge powerplants are impressive motors. The LS3 stuffed into the Corvettes (C6) is an absolute monster. It loves forced induction and is just begging to be unleashed. If I could describe the difference between the Viper and the Corvette I would say it like this. The Viper was a put together kit car with misaligned body panels from the factory and borrowed parts from other models while the Corvette is just "engineered" correctly. The build quality is better, interior is much nicer etc.

I did replace the Viper with a new car but not a sports car this time. I went back to Jeep. :)

Sometimes it is better if we never meet our heros lol
You are one of the few that are bold enough to make your dream a reality! Great story.
That is a great quote actually. I'm not one to ever want a Ferrari or Lamborghini so the Viper was my "hero." To be honest it was a dream that I fulfilled and wished for my entire life. I will remember the experience!

I've always had a soft spot for vipers, the new ones I find amazing! But price and usage around here is a pipe dream...

That car is an absolute beast! There are two shops in the country that build such crazy monsters. A friend of mine is waiting for his to come back from California and I'm excited to go for a ride. He is aiming for 1300whp. I guess ill have to wear a diaper!

A Jeep??
Sounds like you're ready for a V-Strom...maybe a DRZ
Congrats, by the way, or should that be condolences...
Lol I love Jeeps! I picked up the new Gladiator and have started my build.

Most of our dream cars just are not practical for daily or regular use. Which is why there’s ton of relatively low mileage examples for the year car out there
I can agree to that. I just never had a true "weekend" car. Everything I own I'm so passionate about that all I want to do is use it all the damn time! Hence the busa is ALWAYS on the road.

That is a great quote actually. I'm not one to ever want a Ferrari or Lamborghini so the Viper was my "hero." To be honest it was a dream that I fulfilled and wished for my entire life. I will remember the experience!

That car is an absolute beast! There are two shops in the country that build such crazy monsters. A friend of mine is waiting for his to come back from California and I'm excited to go for a ride. He is aiming for 1300whp. I guess ill have to wear a diaper!

Lol I love Jeeps! I picked up the new Gladiator and have started my build.

I can agree to that. I just never had a true "weekend" car. Everything I own I'm so passionate about that all I want to do is use it all the damn time! Hence the busa is ALWAYS on the road.
Gotta post a pic of the jeep!!!

Gotta post a pic of the jeep!!!
Ah its nothing special right now. I ended up flying up to AL and buying a Gladiator! I have never owned a pickup so this was a huge change for me. It has the 3.6L that I'm used to but instead of manual like my last Jeep this has the 8 speed automatic with 4.10 gear ratio. It's getting a 4.5in lift with 38x15.5x20 tires. Jeeps are like a Lego set, its a lot of fun to put together!
IMG_0792.jpg

Ah its nothing special right now. I ended up flying up to AL and buying a Gladiator! I have never owned a pickup so this was a huge change for me. It has the 3.6L that I'm used to but instead of manual like my last Jeep this has the 8 speed automatic with 4.10 gear ratio. It's getting a 4.5in lift with 38x15.5x20 tires. Jeeps are like a Lego set, its a lot of fun to put together!
View attachment 1634175
My friend is getting rid of his since the new one coming, is coming with a bigger engine he said... didn't even have 4,000 miles on it!

As some of you may know it was a lifelong dream for me to own a Dodge Viper! As a kid I grew up fantasizing about the car and told myself ONE DAY I will own one. Years later... many many years later I had made the dream a reality. When I was 21 years old my GF at the time picked up a Dodge Viper license plate for me that said "Porsches for breakfast, ferraris for lunch" with two VIPER logos on the top corners. I said one day I will have a car to put them on! I kept the license plate and still have it with me today.

I had the Viper for a total of 7 months and put 10k miles in that time. I drove it to GA and all around FL. I met the local Viper club who were absolutely amazing! Really passionate people who love their cars and know everything about them. I think they are a lot like this forum, a lot of people here are what I call TRUE Hayabusa enthusiasts.

Why did I sell the Viper?
To be 100% honest with everyone, I used to own a 640WHP Corvette. That car was a ROCKET! Then I purchased a Hayabusa and I realized the Hayabusa is a ROCKET (Gen 2 only, we don't care about gen 1's hehehehehehe). The viper while fairly light comes with 500hp/500tq and is pretty well balanced. For some reason, it no longer felt fast to me because like all things speed is relative. The inside cabin of the car would get insanely hot even with aftermarket exhaust. I would have to run the air conditioner at full blast to keep up with the exhaust heat from just cruising on the highway. I felt claustrophobic because interior space was very limited for someone who is 6'3. I had the lowering seat kit installed as well which helped, but did not help with the feeling that you were inside of a Miata. Tires were VERY expensive because only two tires exist for the rear of this car ($2000). The power window regulators are a known failure in these cars and mine had always made a creaking noise so I knew one day it will break, $1000. The scarcity for parts was really troublesome. For the older gen Vipers ac condensers are no longer produced and used working examples are hard to comeby unless you spend $2500 or so. The T56 transmission was of older design and very clunky and so was the rear diff. You can tell the car was not built in this decade but maybe its what made it so special. I also did not have garage space to keep the car inside. I thought about all of those things and made the move to sell the car. It was picked up by a dealership and resold shortly after for a marginal profit. It was a short 7 months but I feel like I got it out of my system. It was a really cool car and attracted a lot of attention and would make a great weekend toy that comes out once a month but for a daily driver it was not entirely livable. I will miss it sure, but I miss every car I have ever owned.

The Corvette world gets a lot of hate from Dodge Viper owners because many believe that the V10 is superior in every way. I think both the GM and Dodge powerplants are impressive motors. The LS3 stuffed into the Corvettes (C6) is an absolute monster. It loves forced induction and is just begging to be unleashed. If I could describe the difference between the Viper and the Corvette I would say it like this. The Viper was a put together kit car with misaligned body panels from the factory and borrowed parts from other models while the Corvette is just "engineered" correctly. The build quality is better, interior is much nicer etc.

I did replace the Viper with a new car but not a sports car this time. I went back to Jeep. :)
Never got a Viper once I found out the cost of replacing the hood, since its integrated with the front quarter panels it's a insane amount of money. I could see it's was gonna be a money pit. Still awesome looking car. Glad ya enjoyed it.

Love my Viper! Depends on the generation you buy I guess, but mine's been awesome with no issues. Comparing the quality of builds between the vett and the Viper is not really a good comparison as the Viper is hand built, where the vett has the assembly line. I'll admit, there are some things that they could have improved upon in the previous gens, but the most recent one seems pretty stout in that category. So yes the vett is put together more consistent and with much higher standard QC standard.
The only issue I have with it is when I take it on road trips. There's no cruise control so my right shin gets pretty tired after 5-6hrs on the highway..lol.

My Viper was my dream car as well, and I'm stoked to have it. However, I'm in a position now where I might upgrade to something else in the next 2 to 3 years. Possibly an F430 or a Huracan..

But definitely a good choice or move on your part. There's no sense in keeping something if it isn't checking all of the boxes on what you want or how you use it.

Like all things, there is a time and place in life to enjoy things...

A guy I know has a few bikes in his garage..one of which is a Duck 916, he bought it new after falling head over heels in love with it....he hasn't been able to ride it for years due to it's extreme riding position and his bad back....he still has it because he loves the bike so much...he's thinking about building it into his bar...

Then you get some things that look great on paper and in the showroom only to find out they aren't practical or great in real life....I drove a rented Countach once and although it is a gorgeous car, it was uncomfortable and impractical....the only thing that car did good was gain attention of bystanders and police.

Although it's not my dream car I drove a Hellcat Charger the other day while my Ram was in getting service...

It was ok but far too loud....I can imagine every cop in a 2 mile radius will hear it start up and being red with white stripes it sticks out like a sore thumb....that car had trouble written all over it...of course this is coming from a guy who rides the "Bumblebee..." so take that as a grain of salt...:lol:

The dealership has 2 TRX Rams as well for the low sum of $160k Cdn....I didn't even sit in one as I'd be soon figuring out a way to take one home...they are a serious, serious truck...

My friend is getting rid of his since the new one coming, is coming with a bigger engine he said... didn't even have 4,000 miles on it!
Yeah, Jeep is throwing the 392 in them finally but at a VERY substantial price increase. I think the going rate is $80-85k for a 392 Gladiator upon its release. To be honest, that is a bit more than I would ever want to spend on a Jeep LOL But I would love to hear his opinion when he gets it. Please don't forget to update this thread later on! (And film a burnout lol)

Never got a Viper once I found out the cost of replacing the hood, since its integrated with the front quarter panels it's a insane amount of money. I could see it's was gonna be a money pit. Still awesome looking car. Glad ya enjoyed it.
Yeah, I believe the cost of parts is definitely on the rise. A friend of mine works for Mopar and I spoke to him about obtaining headlights for Gen 2 Vipers. He laughed and said his last customer waited 6 months at a cost of over $2700 to obtain a headlight. When it came in the customer complained that it did not match the other side and wanted a second one at the same cost. They are beautiful cars, especially the 96-02 GTS models!

Love my Viper! Depends on the generation you buy I guess, but mine's been awesome with no issues. Comparing the quality of builds between the vett and the Viper is not really a good comparison as the Viper is hand built, where the vett has the assembly line. I'll admit, there are some things that they could have improved upon in the previous gens, but the most recent one seems pretty stout in that category. So yes the vett is put together more consistent and with much higher standard QC standard.
The only issue I have with it is when I take it on road trips. There's no cruise control so my right shin gets pretty tired after 5-6hrs on the highway..lol.

My Viper was my dream car as well, and I'm stoked to have it. However, I'm in a position now where I might upgrade to something else in the next 2 to 3 years. Possibly an F430 or a Huracan..

But definitely a good choice or move on your part. There's no sense in keeping something if it isn't checking all of the boxes on what you want or how you use it.
Definitely! The funny part is I have never been a Ferrari fan but I went to the Ferrari museum this past weekend and saw the F430 there. It is beautiful if you can afford the maintenance for sure. My brother in law had both and said the Ferrari is light years ahead of Lamborghini in terms of build quality. But if my Viper was a gen 5 I think I would stuff it in the garage and sell it 10 years from now for an insane amount of profit!

Although it's not my dream car I drove a Hellcat Charger the other day while my Ram was in getting service...

It was ok but far too loud....I can imagine every cop in a 2 mile radius will hear it start up and being red with white stripes it sticks out like a sore thumb....that car had trouble written all over it...of course this is coming from a guy who rides the "Bumblebee..." so take that as a grain of salt...:lol:

The dealership has 2 TRX Rams as well for the low sum of $160k Cdn....I didn't even sit in one as I'd be soon figuring out a way to take one home...they are a serious, serious truck...
I tried going the Hellcat route but to be perfectly honest it just felt heavy. It is a rocket ship but when it comes to the fun factor its just not there at least for me. Now the TRX............. I think the quote goes "Shut up and take my money" but 160k CAD is a lot of it to spend on a truck LOL

Most of our dream cars just are not practical for daily or regular use. Which is why there’s ton of relatively low mileage examples for the year car out there

It seems some people can't believe that having a car that performs can be relatively inexpensive and still fun to drive. The Viper and the C4 ZR-1 Corvette were tested against each other a number of times in the magazines back in the day. The Viper did out muscle it with its 138 cubic inch advantage. In conclusion the testers that drove them both usually rated the ZR-1 a better car to enjoy for some of the reasons already stated earlier in this thread by the OP.

I just sold my daily driver 91 ZR-1 that I acquired in 2003 and it was my 3rd ZR-1 driver. This one had 50K on it and was like new when I got it. 17+ years later I sold it with 183,000+ miles on it and rarely spared the horses when the urge to play with 400 hp was available. The engine still compression checks just fine to this day with the new owner. ( Nikisil cylinder coating from the factory ) I know 400 hp isn't anything to get too excited about these days when you have trucks, Cadillac's, and other cars with over 500 hp available for a price. The picture in my avatar shows you an engine that is an automotive legend that still retains records like the 24 hour endurance record set in 1990 at 175 mph. I am sure other cars today to could beat that nowadays and VW has broken that record a couple times with special built cars that they never mass produced and therefor never qualified those 2 cars as a record holders.

Plenty of early ZR-1s are available for a fraction of the price when new. The support system for these cars is alive and well once you discover it. Many of us wrench on our own projects so maintaining a ZR-1 isn't a big deal. Its rare that mechanical issues ever occur in these engines due to the durability built into them when Lotus designed it back in the 80s.

Would it do 180mph as advertised? Yes... I did that a few times. With a little work these can get well into the 11s which isn't terribly quick... but quick enough to make you pay attention to which way you are going. I could only muster a high 12 at the strip in Vegas with a traction limited launch... mph was 110.

About Jeeps... I want one of those to! After watching the fun at 3 Peaks Park just west of Cedar City Utah where 4 x4s compete on some really steep and rocky hills... and... having driven through some really fun stuff in all wheel drive during the winter... it is the kinda fun that makes you feel alive.

Here is Pete in the links below for you 1/4 mile junkies with the fastest naturally aspirated 350 cubic inch LT5 engine that I know of. I love the sound of that motor under a load! Bigger cubic inch LT5 motors are alive and well out there with power numbers in the 600+hp range and also naturally aspirated.

'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
Pete's ZR-1 Garage

The LT5 engine is still setting records at Bonneville in a 1990 ZR-1. Looks like he just went 239 mph a few weeks ago.
This is a 230 mph run from last year.

Ok... I am done babbling on here! lol !

Back