Snowmobiles or Motorcycles?...

Two

Banned
Which do you think are more dangerous?

With all the snow here in Minnesota we have been having this winter there have been quite a few snowmobile fatalities.

Im no expert but I would guess, just by the #s there seem to be more fatalities involved with sledding considering the smaller # of snowmobiles compared to motorcycles.
If not, in my area from my experiences I would say the sleds are much more dangerous. You never know whats buried under a few inches of snow or ice at 50-60 + mph...

Im a sledder- Arctic Cat all the way !

I've got a Pantera 800cc triple.......I feel safer on the sled than I do on the Busa because of traffic , however statistically, I think more people do get hurt on sleds

there has only been 7 so far this year as opposed to 19 last year. I think bikes are far more dangerous due to traffic. Oh, Im in coon Rapids by the way.

there has only been 7 so far this year as opposed to 19 last year. I think bikes are far more dangerous due to traffic. Oh, Im in coon Rapids by the way.

Cool, St, Paul here. Cant wait for the damn snow to melt, i wanna ride.

Snowmobile, I'de assume your average idiot(newbies and vacation rentals, not the folks that own and ride them all the time) would think that you couldn't get hurt on one, after all, it's only snow.:laugh: Nevermind what's under the snow, an avalanche, or the sled landing on you. There's alot less snowmobiles out there than motorcycles, so lower snowmobile injury statistics. Just my 2 cents.

In my part of the world sledders seem to do it to themselves by getting lost,lauching over cliffs,avalanches,oops-sled-landed-on-me,etc.

On the street with bikes,lots of guys crash,but we also log thousands and thousands of crash-free rides.

It's usually the dummy in the cage that gets us.

Left turns in front of us, I believe is the number 1 killer.

RSD.

i think sleds, probly because most of the trails in wi go from bar to bar to gas station to bar to bar lol. they are also fast and placed in sometimes wooded areas and **** happens sometimes.
I love snowmobiling, but i don't drink and ride sleds or bikes.

They're both risky. It's been so long since I rode the Bus, not sure I remember how:whistle:. Went out yesterday on the sled for 100 miles, been trying to sell it but no dice yet.

I got launched off the sled last year, caught an icey ledge made by a plow at about 50-60mph. I slid, rolled, flew and flipped for almost 100 feet, but I did ride away. The bike has been "better" to me than the sled.

I'm gonna say sleds are. There are critters (saw 15 deer on the trail yesterday), almost every ride is a "spirited" ride, there are other people most assuredly riding "spiritedly" too, and all the hazards that are unseen will launch you into outer space.

Oh ya I also am more likely to ride faster in the snow than on the blacktop.

i have never been on a snowmobile. I bet they are fun.

A sled is the only thing left where out on a lake or open field you can run wide open and not get in trouble with the law. Some of the bigger sleds like my old Thundercat will stretch your arms out just like the Busa- but on the snow.

Now, on the trails there are speed limits so you gotta behave yourself but its a heck of alot of fun when the field, or lake opens up and you can get after it.

Plus it fills a "need for speed" in the off season...

My old Thundercat has 164 HP stock, on a 600lb sled. Power 2 weight=:D

My old Thundercat has 164 HP stock, on a 600lb sled. Power 2 weight=:D[/QUOTE]

Sleds are awesome.The odd time on TV you can see them on the quarter mile drag strip on dry asphalt. :thumbsup:

And ski-cross looks awesome too.Like dirtbikes on a circuit,"cept its sleds.

I want one,but its a good 3-4 hour drive in winter to get to a launch spot.

But I wont give up on the idea.:whistle:

RSD.

Dont give up, they are making them lighter and faster than my old girl nowadays. Hell, they even got 4strokes, no smoke, no smell, remote start, reverse, turbos- you name it, theres a sled with it. Theyve come along way.

Groomed trails around here are smoother than the black top. Week days if you get the opportunity are free of other traffic. Trails are marked better than the highways in some places, and the 4 strokes are the way to go. I have more than one bike and love them, but the best thing about sledding is no SPEED LIMITS.

Smooth as silk.jpg

I have mixed feelings about the danger for a experienced rider, but if it is a novice anything can happen, anytime. :watching:

Here is the aftermath of a " Pro " rider.

SST34.jpg

Timmyduck- your right- I have seen more "experienced" riders wreck then noobs. Noobs are more timid, careful- where some "pros" throw caution to wind and ride alot harder, take a few more chances.........and the next thing you know, your helping them load up a wreck like in your pic !

Timmyduck- your right- I have seen more "experienced" riders wreck then noobs. Noobs are more timid, careful- where some "pros" throw caution to wind and ride alot harder, take a few more chances.........and the next thing you know, your helping them load up a wreck like in your pic !

That's was a rental sled, insurance Co owns it now. :blowingup:

This is how they start out , with never more than 3 sleds to 1 guide.

SST35.jpg

Back