Snapped the chain tonite

BAD06BUSA

Donating Member
Registered
Riding home tonite got on it a little on a open road was doing around 70 when POP the engine rev's and that was that.. Luckily It diddn't lock the wheel up or anything and I coasted to a safe stop. Some guys riding bikes behind me picked the chain up and waited for my trailer to arrive. I made sure to thank them. I'm pretty pissed though my case looks like its cracked but not leaking oil. The back tail has some little gouges, scuffed paint and the tag is all bent up. I'm taking it to the shop who pressed the chain on tomorrow. They should be liable for this do you think? Bike only has 1000 miles on it
sad.gif

Oh well we'll see what tomorrow brings.

busadamage_002.jpg

Yeah I allways keep up on maintance. The master link was what snapped . Had a shop press the new link on after i put the swingarm on. It must have somthing to do with them not doing it right? I'm suprised it lasted 1000 miles or so without breaking.

Is that an 06 LE ? What kind of chain was it ? What was wrong with the stock RK chain that you replaced it ?

Had that happen to me on Christmas Eve last year. Going about 60 MPH and chain snapped at the master link. I wasn't as fortunate as you as my chain wrapped itself around the front sprocket. Did manage to coast to a stop and wasn't injured though. Sorry to hear.

Yeah I allways keep up on maintance. The master link was what snapped . Had a shop press the new link on after i put the swingarm on. It must have somthing to do with them not doing it right? I'm suprised it lasted 1000 miles or so without breaking.
which chain? Both rivets or one? I like to see a picture of the master.

scary stuff..I have to do mine tomorrow.

hogger...

Its an 06 LE yes. I had the chain off to put the chrome swingarm on. I paid a shop to press the new master link on the stock chain. it had zero miles on it when i put the chrome on so it was a brand new RK with a new RK pressed link that I bought from the shop. Next time i will buy the tool and do it myself.

Did you get an aftermarket swingarm?? Aftermarket chain?? If so, which one?

Stock arm and stock chain that came with it, just a new link. I dont have the master link, its gone somewhere on the road but i have the chain its still like new

busadamage_004.jpg

I wonder if they used the right master link. It's hard to say at this point but the hole on one end of the cfhain looks bigger than the other.

Might just be damage..not sure.

hogger...

Bet they pressed the link, and stoped there. I would believe a link would last 1000 miles with out being riveted, only pressed. Man that sux.

Not sure about anyone else, but it seems this happens to more riders who have the extended swingarms and subsequently longer chains.

Dudes.... I had a 90 Katana 600 and rode that thing from about 96 to 2000 without EVER doing anything to it.... and it lasted!!! No breakdowns. No chains breaking. Nothing. Only thing I ever did was replace the rear tire because I wore that sapsucker down.... so...

If anybody here has an 05 to 6 busa... please tell me what I can expect... (yeah, i know, i need to read the forums more....)

Thanks.

Dudes.... I had a 90 Katana 600 and rode that thing from about 96 to 2000 without EVER doing anything to it.... and it lasted!!! No breakdowns. No chains breaking. Nothing. Only thing I ever did was replace the rear tire because I wore that sapsucker down.... so...

If anybody here has an 05 to 6 busa... please tell me what I can expect... (yeah, i know, i need to read the forums more....)

Thanks.
Expect to have very sore facial muscles from the grin you are going to have from ear to ear.
biggrin.gif

Meant to tell you earlier wear your freagin' GEAR (helmet, leathers, gloves, boots w/ ankle protection.)

Maybe take a look around the area for the broken masterlink.  Yeah, it might have been sent in orbit but you never know.  It could help your case when you do battle with the shop.  They might have pressed it in at an angle that caused it to weaken the link.

The good part is that you were not hurt (or worse).

<!--EDIT|HRJR
Reason for Edit: "Me typo."|1150566483 -->

Back