Slipper Clutch

kwai Chang

Registered
I read a 2008 ZX-14 vs Hayabusa shootout on MotorcycleUSA.com. They pointed out that the Hayabusa has a slipper clutch while the ZX-14 does not.

My understanding of a slipper clutch is that it prevents the rear wheel from locking up on downshifts, but what I don't understand is: Does it prevent engine breaking all together?

My current bike does not have a slipper clutch and I use engine breaking alot. It would be awkard at first having to apply the brake when using down shifting and/or engine breaking to slow down would suffice.

Pardon my ignorance.

my engine brakes really well with no lock up on down shiftsMind you I still like to blip the throttle when I down shift.

I am going to pay $150 to get rid of it because it makes launching a PITA.

With the Busa engine being so big and having so much engine brake, having it while road racing helps out a lot.

I think the down side is that it will slip at high revs.... so it's not good for drag racing.

No down side if you don't want the wheel lock on a down shift while carrying to much speed.

:welcome: To the ORG and ride safe.
I agree with Bogus on this one, as I have downshifted pretty hard and never noticed a thing.
I guess it takes a lot to kick in.
Bubba

A slipper clutch is no replacement for good riding technique (ie: blipping the throttle correctly during downshifts), in fact most of the test riders I've read comparing the Busa to the Z14 prefer the transmission of the Kawasaki for smoothness. Slipper clutches are probably good for inexperienced riders I guess, but not sure why they'd put one on a Busa!

A slipper clutch is no replacement for good riding technique (ie: blipping the throttle correctly during downshifts), in fact most of the test riders I've read comparing the Busa to the Z14 prefer the transmission of the Kawasaki for smoothness. Slipper clutches are probably good for inexperienced riders I guess, but not sure why they'd put one on a Busa!

Because the Busa is a GREAT first bike. :rofl:

Gen I nor Gen II's have a slipper clutch they have a constant Mesh set up
I think the clutch is a torque limiting setup? (back torque limit) to keep the rear from locking on hard down shift.. also creates a funky effect on drag race launches... (mine has a definite "hit" when raced like that) If you are drag racing, then I would consider the replacement mod before you break something..

Last edited:
I think the clutch is a torque limiting setup? (back torque limit) to keep the rear from locking on hard down shift.. also creates a funky effect on drag race launches... (mine has a definite "hit" when raced like that) If you are drag racing, then I would consider the replacement mod before you break something..
dido on the mod for drag racing

Suzuki says it is a constant mesh not a slipper now your Liter bikes have slippers but the busa does not have one. If you are drag racing you need a lock up it makes life so much easier

90% of the time when I down shift I match the RPM of the lower gear so it is a smooth easy transition. I haven't really noticed it, and probably won't. I had no idea the 'busas had this. :whistle:

90% of the time when I down shift I match the RPM of the lower gear so it is a smooth easy transition. I haven't really noticed it, and probably won't. I had no idea the 'busas had this. :whistle:
+1

I "slip" the clutch myself manually with the lever. I have played with the back torque limiting clutch a little on the 08, and honestly I have yet to feel it kick in. On my 6R and 10R you could definitely tell the clutch was "slipping" on hard down shifts, but on the busa it feels like it's fully engaged all the time; hence the reason why I feel more comfortable slippin' with the lever on downshifts...

D

Gen I nor Gen II's have a slipper clutch they have a constant Mesh set up
Unless I am reading this incorrectly, according to Suzuki, the Gen IIs do have a "slipper clutch." Check out the "Features" tab at the link below.

Link.

..quote...

"Slick shifting 6 speed transmission working in conjunction with an innovative back torque limiting clutch for smooth and controlled downshifts."

D

Now you little kids can't blame your poor launching on the stock slipper/back torque clutch since it only affects the back torque side. :poke:

However, if you are into track days you'll find the slipper clutch a very sweet addition to your new busa. :thumbsup:

Back