Slipper Clutch

Now you little kids can't blame your poor launching on the stock slipper/back torque clutch since it only affects the back torque side. :poke:

However, if you are into track days you'll find the slipper clutch a very sweet addition to your new busa. :thumbsup:
actually it does have an effect on hard launches... you can feel the thing load up and bottom out (as it were) The bike also displays a bit of a lurch when it happens.. The first time I launched the bike at the drag strip I thought I broke something when it hit..

Like Big B said, you can most definately feel it when you launch hard from a stop dragrace style. The clutch slips out to a certain point as you move the lever......then suddenly grabs hard and locks. The only way to get past that is to keep the revs way up and slide the clutch out. Its a terrible set-up for dragracing........my 14 with a non-slipper clutch seems so easy to launch by comparison a baby could do it :rofl: The busa clutch is a ramped design......slips one way and locks in the other, so downshifting it'll slip, but under power it actually locks in harder as more power is applied :beerchug: Very nice set-up for road riding......not so nice for drag racing ;)

The "slipper clutch" function is very noticeable on the Busa if one change directly from a conventional clutch to the Busa clutch. It is very easy to get an unstable rear on track before a turn if a lower gear is engaged, this does not happen on the Busa, which one can gear down without these problems. I like the Busa back tourque limiting clutch a lot.

I've had the rear of my Busa sliding around on a downshift on the track. It's very controllable, but it still happens. The slipper clutch does make it much easier to deal with. Leaving corners I usually exit on one wheel with the punch of the lockup. :laugh:

Now you little kids can't blame your poor launching on the stock slipper/back torque clutch since it only affects the back torque side. :poke:

However, if you are into track days you'll find the slipper clutch a very sweet addition to your new busa. :thumbsup:

It definitely affects hard launches at the strip.. I am a "Before and After" customer of the Brock's clutch mod which was designed just to deal with the Busa clutch, and it completely takes away the hard and unpredictable "Hit" you get from the stock clutch...:thumbsup::beerchug:

A slipper clutch is no replacement for good riding technique (ie: blipping the throttle correctly during downshifts), in fact most of the test riders I've read comparing the Busa to the Z14 prefer the transmission of the Kawasaki for smoothness. Slipper clutches are probably good for inexperienced riders I guess, but not sure why they'd put one on a Busa!

Those test riders are smoking crack. I own both and the 14 has been clunky between 1, N and 2 since day one. It requires more pressure to shift and feels notchy where the busa is just snick, snick, snick. I think the 14 does decel a little harder but it is barely noticeable. The busa's back torque limiting clutch doesn't limit a whole lot which I am glad for because i love a hard decel.

I have only had the tire skid slightly from decel one time and that was at low speed downshifting to 1 while making a 90 degree turn. It was with the 14. Not exactly sport riding. I sometimes use the clutch lever to modulate into a downshift when I am cornering with the 14. Probably a good idea with the busa too because like I said, the slipper doesn't feel like it cuts back on the pull too much.

Last edited:
Back