Should I install a centerstand?

OB_SlowHand

Registered
Johnny, I'm not worried about the feelers, I'm worried about the REASON for their extra length compared to stock. Obviously that is meant to warn you that you are about to ground the centerstand. Been there and done that on other bikes and it aint fun. If I did mostly drag strips and straight-lining I'd probably feel differently.
I admit not having the centerstand is inconvenient, but I look at it as a safety factor as well as the world's cheapest way to save about 5lb.

yes you do lose some ground clearance but to me it is worth it for conveince.
I do twisties also and so far have not hit the centerstand.
but I must say I have not scraped the faring like Duc either.

I ordered one when I first purchased my bike and was not too happy with the extended feelers. I have not installed it yet but was thinking about doing it this weekend. I am not a kneedragger but I do get over nicly for the size of the Busa. I have a race stand but feel a full time centerstand would be nice also. Will let cha know how it works out.....

Most on this board would not agree with my modifications which I am extremely happy with. I Installed the centrestand and would not be without it. Unfortunately you do lose the little plastic wing. Left on the big feelers and have not even come close to grinding them. I also put on a set of Yosh Street Slipons which sound nice and no fuel injection problems either, also no yosh box or PC 2. or their problems. Put on a double bubble, also an excellent investment. My 2 cents worth.

What do you guys think about installing a centerstand?

Do I have to remove any of the bottom plastic?

Thanks!

04/04/00 UPDATE: I got a philips-lockhart rear stand.

[This message has been edited by Badagindo (edited 04 April 2000).]

I bought a centerstand with the bike. About a month later I decided to put it on. Read the instructions and looked at the extra long peg feelers which come with it. Saw that it's quite heavy, and requires removal of most of the exhaust system to install. Can't remember for sure, but the little fairing piece in front of the rear tire might have to go. I don't care, since I keep mine in a box anyway.

The big thing with me was the loss of ground clearance. I don't like to ground hard parts, and I like the twisties. Also, bikes are like people and tend to gain weight over a period of time as riders add accessories and mods. i'm trying to keep that under control.

My centerstand is still in its plastic bag in the garage, and will probably stay there until I sell the bike some day.

There is a device called Quick Stand which can do some of the same things a centerstand does, such as hold the rear wheel up for chain maintenance. It weighs 6 oz. and fits under the hump. Look it up in the Dot Org files if interested.

yes you do lose the rear lower cowl.
I did not install the long curb feelers and you do not have to remove the ehaust system.
I love mine it is even on the bike when I have the long swingarm on. It is real nice to have.

Check out "Quick Stand" at:
http://quickstand.home.netcom.com/new.htm

As previously mentioned, it does most of the things that a center stand can do, weighs only 6-1/2 ounces and can be stored in the tail section of the Busa. The people that have purchased these have really like them.

So you get to keep the plastic body panel on the bike, you avoid adding 10 lbs to your bike and no change in ground clearance. All this for about 50% of the cost of the center stand.

Units are in stock, ordering instructions are on the above webpage.

Larry S.

[This message has been edited by highpwr (edited 04 April 2000).]

I've just picked up my centerstand and am curious; could someone that attached the stand without removing the exhaust/headers tell us what is required for this workaround?

I really want that stand on my bike. For accurate check and refill of oil levels, changing rear tires, cleaning and lubing both bike and chain, that stand makes all the difference.

rw

I had a center stand on my '99 from when it was nearly new. It was very easy to pull the bike up onto it, unlike my old Hon CBR1000F, and it was great for wheel cleaning, tire pressure, parking stability, chain lubing on the road, etc.

After a track day at Willow Springs, where I didn't touch anything down - I have GSXR750 pegs with no feelers - I got nervous about it and removed it. Substitutes have been a rear wheel stand, for which I need someone to hold the bike while I lift it, and the QuickStand, which is nifty, but will dump your bike (my bike) onto its side in a second if you don't pay close attention to the directions and lock up the front brake with the velcro strap provided.

Removing the center stand required removing the mufflers and pulling the header pipes off the studs at the head, which required removing fairing, freeing up the radiator and removing the cooling fan. It was much of an afternoon for me because I spent a lot of time trying to get enough clearance to remove the mounting bolt under the tranny before I realized that pulling the pipes all the way off the studs would do it.

It was nice to get the bottom rear fairing back on, but I do miss the convenience of the center stand. And I could ride plenty briskly enough for my tastes without scraping the center stand - about 1/4-inch of untouched rubber at the edges of the stock rear tire. I may put it back on before going touring again this summer.

Well I would have to agree with ROR that following the instructions is important when you are using a new tool. Especially when lifting a vehicle.

But with the front brake lever secured by the velcro strap (included with Quick Stand) you have an excellent parking brake. With the brake lever strapped and the side stand fully extended your bike should be very secure. More secure in fact, than with the side stand alone and the bike in gear as there is no drive train slop. Using Quick Stand after strapping down the brake lever should not detract from this level of stability.

Larry S.
see "the pocket sized rear wheel stand" at
http://quickstand.home.netcom.com/new.htm

I got one with the bike (~$100), but I haven't put it on yet. I saw the huge feelers!!!!! This weekend I put the feelers on, figured I'd ride around a little to see if they hit. If I don't scrape them, I'll put the stand on.

ROR; to remove the stand it takes 7 mins tops.I have got it down to 3.
Remove the left can with the short pipe all one piece and then pull the springs off and take the stand bolt out and you are done (put pipe/can combo back)

I'm using Gixxer 750 alloy pegs with no feelers(Lockhart) and they are beveled for greater clearance as well as being a little higher than stock on the bottoms. Haven't touched these pegs down yet, but have ground the sides of my boots. Centerstand would be asking for trouble.
Fairings, pipes and even light alloy cases don't usually ground as solidly as centerstands. They will grind for a while before they lever your wheels into the air. Not so the centerstand.

I'm not saying don't use a centerstand. Depends on how you ride. If DP or Duc put a centerstand on, they would be off the road in a heartbeat. I don't get over as far as they do, but I would still be in the danger zone.

Thanks Johnnycheese. I'll give it a try. What's the trick for pulling the springs loose, and getting them back on when reinstalling?

I use a Vance and Hines spring tool out of a pipe kit the bigger the tool the easier to install.Also I leave all the other hardware on like the stop.make sure the gasket that goes to the short pipe is off the main exhaust due to you have to pry on it to remove the long bolt.

I like the center stand. It is much more stable now. The side stand is not very stable and reliable. I didn't use the long feelers, replace stock footpegs with tl1000 pegs to lower it about an inch for comfort. All theses ideas came from the experts on this board. Johnny is right, you really do not have to remove the whole exhaus system...just a little brute strength.

Back