shinko vs pilot race ????

redrednose

Registered
i have a shinko now and thinking of getting a pilot race . i heard the race is a better tire and is lighter also. i dont care how long one or the other lasts just want the better tire between the two ! thanks .

pilot race is ur tire if you want the best of the best. what kind of ride'n are you doing? twisties? track day? work & home?

joy ridin and track no twisties im extended and its not my cup of tea . i just want the better tire for track .

are you running the shinko slick?  I've heard thats a great tire at the track. some track guys should be chime'n in

For a strip only tire...I've ran both. I think it the PR is better. It is lighter. There are 3 different PR compounds. Depending on your wheelbase and needs, one of the harder compounds may hook just fine and will last longer than the Soft/PR3 most are running.

Professor, curious about something....

All the hubbub about rotating mass... why arent the guys shaving the Shinko tires down to minimal rubber on the sides of the contact patch? it is rubber that is never touched anyway, why carry it down the 1/4? Gotta be a couple pounds of rubber there..

Professor, curious about something....

All the hubbub about rotating mass...  why arent the guys shaving the Shinko tires down to minimal rubber on the sides of the contact patch?  it is rubber that is never touched anyway, why carry it down the 1/4?  Gotta be a couple pounds of rubber there..
The shinko is a couple pounds heavy compared to about everything else out there. Yep, you could get most of it out by shaving them. I'm not sure just how to go about it. The shavers I have seen are for car tires and only make a straight cut parallel to the axle. Sounds like a good idea though.

I have been running road race scuffs the last few races and tests. Pretty much they are worn there when I get them. Hard to beat $60-70 for them when they have 90% rubber where I need it. They balance with minimal or no weight, and are speed rated. 2 of things I can't get out of the shinko. I would not say the Power Race makes a good street tire however.

You are right, a pound out there 11 inches or so from the axle is a bunch!

Back