Shinko Tires

I have used the 005's and found them to be a very good tire. They stuck very well in all weather conditions. If you ride aggressive, stick to the 005's. The 009's are much harder and designed more for touring. I found the 009's to break loose very easily in cooler riding conditions and took forever to warm up. If you don't ride aggressive, they will do just fine. Plus, you'll get decent mileage from them, too. I will not go back to an 009.

I have used the 005's and found them to be a very good tire. They stuck very well in all weather conditions. If you ride aggressive, stick to the 005's. The 009's are much harder and designed more for touring. I found the 009's to break loose very easily in cooler riding conditions and took forever to warm up. If you don't ride aggressive, they will do just fine. Plus, you'll get decent mileage from them, too. I will not go back to an 009.

Good point, I'm in Texas, so all my riding is fairly warm.

Hyundai cars are Korean and they are pretty darned good and safe. I've also played some Korean guitars and their quality was much higher than some of the good old "Made In America" strats I've played. However Gibson guitars are still some of the best in the world.

I don't think the country of origin is as important as the companies reputation and track record. There are good and bad companies in most manufacturing countries and its not fair to run to consider something junk just because its Korean.

I have seen many people drag racing on Shinko's going 170mph and faster and have never seen a tire failure. I have seen their Japanese engines blow up on occasion so I guess that means that they are junk.

i myself run pilot powers. I will continue to run them as long as i can buy them. They have held up to everything i can dish out to them. They dont last the longest but i know they will stick and they do handle 180mph without any troubles.

i myself run pilot powers. I will continue to run them as long as i can buy them. They have held up to everything i can dish out to them. They dont last the longest but i know they will stick and they do handle 180mph without any troubles.

+1 ...I will run nothing but pilots powers!

what's the price on a set of those?

what kind of mileage do you get?

I've burned up a few sets of Pilots, mileage sucks. Front tires get decent mileage, but the middle of the rear goes away Suddenly(have to ride in a straight line some of the time:laugh:) Q2's are now cheaper.

I've burned up a few sets of Pilots, mileage sucks. Front tires get decent mileage, but the middle of the rear goes away Suddenly(have to ride in a straight line some of the time:laugh:) Q2's are now cheaper.

I use the dual compound and yes the mileage sucks and yes you do get chicken strips but I still love them....especially when I need to corner HARD!

Holy smoke, Pilot Powers must just work differently on the busa, both my CBR1100xx and my VFR800 came with them and I absolutely hated them, they inspire absolutely no trust in the corners. Upgraded to Metzeler M3s on the CBR1100xx and I thought the difference was night and day. My (Ex-) VFR750 had Metzeler Z4's and even they gripped better. All jokes aside, I at this point in time I would absolutely bet my life on my Shinko Ravens on the Hayabusa over the Pilot Powers on my VFR800 or CBR1100 in a corner. Plus I'm about to hit the wear strip on the Pilots which means they don't last very long either.

Also keep in mind that some bikes are more tire sensitive than others.

My 919 Feels Great on Bridgestone's or Metzelers. The Shinko 003's felt pretty good but really slowed the steering. I've got Pirelli Diablo's on it now and have no confidence in the front at all. It really seems to move around a lot more than with any other tire I've tried.
My RC-51 felt great with every tire I tried on it, Including Metzelers, Pirelli, and Shinko
My SV650 Felt really good on the Shinko 003's. I liked the Pilot Powers on it too but it seemed to move around more, although it was in a completely predictable and smooth manner. I also liked the Avon's on it but I went through rear tires pretty quickly.

I've got the 005's on my bike right now and while they were a great price and I would use them again, I really never felt as confident on them as I have on the Pirelli's. Everyone has different experiences with different tires and I guess that I fell like they are equivalent to the Dunlop D208's. I've run the 208's and the qualifiers which both gave me a really funky wear pattern on the front tire. This could be from all kinds of different things but I haven't changed anything and have not had that problem with the Shinko's. Gotta say they have held up extremely well in my opinion. If you hit the twisties a lot I would recommend the Pirelli's, but if you want a good overall tire that will last a while the 005's did me just fine! :beerchug:

Oh, biggest difference was the change in tire size. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE!!!! I went with the 120/60 on the front and it was by far the biggest change I have ever encountered in my bike. The thing felt like going from a stock Busa to a 1000 to me. It cornered sooooo much better. :thumbsup:

I think people are comfortable with what they believe works specifically for them and their personal riding style. I've had the OEMs, Pirellis, Metzelers, currently running Shinko, will probably try Michelin next. They all have their quirks but their performance has been acceptable for me. I don't proclaim to be, or fancy myself, an expert rider, but I do regularly commute utilizing several bikes, trips to the mountains, regular stuff, no track days with the Busa. Opinions are like....well you know what they say!

few of us will ever outride Shinko's...or any other tire. However, when we go down its always easier to blame a tire, than to admit we made mistakes.

But like everything else we will listen to people that think that $$$ solves everything. I always laugh at guys that will spend tons of $$$ on tires, and are running worn out, never been adjusted properly stock suspension. They will spend thousands on brakes, but never go to a trackday or practice emergency braking....

or cannot even be bothered to run proper air pressure....

Shinko makes good tires, but no tire can make you a good rider or keep you from going in too hot and putting your bike on the ground.

few of us will ever outride Shinko's...or any other tire. However, when we go down its always easier to blame a tire, than to admit we made mistakes.

But like everything else we will listen to people that think that $$$ solves everything. I always laugh at guys that will spend tons of $$$ on tires, and are running worn out, never been adjusted properly stock suspension. They will spend thousands on brakes, but never go to a trackday or practice emergency braking....

or cannot even be bothered to run proper air pressure....

Shinko makes good tires, but no tire can make you a good rider or keep you from going in too hot and putting your bike on the ground.

You are so misguided here my friend. You are far, far, far safer on good shoes than you are on cheap junk!

I agree that money don't buy you safety but a good tire will save your arse from catastrophe on many occasions! Which is why I preach "At least choose a good performance tire for the front since that is the control point of your bike"!

You are so misguided here my friend. You are far, far, far safer on good shoes than you are on cheap junk!

I agree that money don't buy you safety but a good tire will save your arse from catastrophe on many occasions! Which is why I preach "At least choose a good performance tire for the front since that is the control point of your bike"!

so you are saying that I would be safer, buying the latest race inspired tire.....even though i cannot even ride hard/fast enough to heat them properly?

does not make sense....

so I should buy the tires that the AMA racers use, because i will need all that traction on my daily commute?

does not make sense......

using you logic, I should racing tires on my touring bike...because having all that traction is safer.....right?

no.....there is a reason why there are different types of tires. You should buy the tires that suit your needs and riding ability.

on a racetrack you can outride a set of tires(though few can)....mostly tires go away because they get worn out. On the street, especially in the canyons people crash not because they exceeded the limits of traction....usually its because:

1. tires warmed to optimal temps.
2. debris
3. riding too fast for conditions

mostly its simply rider error.....not tires.

3 pages and still going strong. Two questions for the Shinko fans...

For anyone running Shinko Ravens or the like, how many sets are you going through in a season?

How many are doing track time on them? ( Road coarse not drag strip.)

Just curious

Back